RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really looking for pigeons for my dog to chase. Since I can't find any I really want to shoot some birds in front of him to retrieve. Does anyone know where to get some game birds close to NW Arkansas SW Missouri NE Oklahoma or SE Kansas.

Can I clip the wings of something other than a pigeon and let him chase it? Will it last as long? I have no clue what I'm doing but I have a buddy who trained his Shorthair pointer going with me! Should be interesting and entertaining. I'm sure it'll be quit comical to watch for the first time or two!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Check craigslist list in your area or run an add on it just be discrete .it won't take long to find your pigeons.
I've clipped the wings on pigeons,but assuming you are training one pup ( via previous post) which is what I was up against. The clipped wing pigeons don't seem to last as long and their feathers will grow back when you least expect it and you throw it ... and you and pup watch $5 fly away .I used a rubber band and wound it tight on one wing elbow so they can't extend the wing to fly. Take the rubber band off when done and the can roost better and seem to stay healthier and give you more training time per pigeon.
Also banty hen chickens give a great chase for a pup!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts