RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All you duck call collectors -- could you please let me know any thing about a duck call my husband found in an old abandoned duck blind. The blind is so old that trees limbs have grown around it and the river has shifted so it is no longer close to the water. So we think the call might be pretty old. It is a Thomas duck call supreme #166-D made in Winnsboro, Texas. It is still in the box which is in really excellent shape. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nice find - according to Howard Harlan Dwight Thomas made 'a very good production call since the early 1950's. Thomas produced a full line of calls and is well know in call circles. He also made a custom call which is highly sought after by collector.' Note the Supreme is a production call hence although very collectible due to age - but probably is not extremely valuable. It is pictured in Harlans book and has an intersting shape to the mouth piece. I collect a few calls and although I do not know this call maker (I'm up north) I would guess the value (with box) would be similar to other regional calls of the period like Ken Martin from Southern IL $250 to $350 good condition in box - just a quess so don't flame me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. It is a 'production' made call. I do not think it was used very much as it was found in the box like it had never been opened. I am not sure how to take care of it or clean it. It has like a natural finish. There is no cracking of varnish. You can see on the box - the only flaw is were the price sticker has been mostly removed as like it was a gift. The price sticker is of a sticky type I would think your age period would be correct. Also on the box it advertizes other types of calls - as fox, bobcat, wolf etc. It is amazing that it is in such great shape. Pretty cool. My husband says there are several things in this blind such as old decoys, a pair of waders and an old heat stove. So we are going back to investagate. Pretty cool, we love the old pieces of history.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts