RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I name all my dogs after famous cow horse sires. Quirky I know but it's fun. I am getting another puppy and want suggestions for names, both registered and call. I have already used Smokin 45 (Penny) and High Brow Cat (Copper).

I am lousy at coming up with call names. I have had 4 Penny's and on my last pup, friends and family vetoed another one with that name. So I called her Copper. I clearly need help in the creativity department.

So far for the new pup I have Peppy San Badger (call name ?) as the top contender. I am looking for any other names for consideration, and a call name for a choc male. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
One of the more popular dairy cow sires was a holstien Who Made Who.Maybe Northernstorm will chime in as he is an AI tech.that has a couple hundred different straws in his tank.Jim

·
Registered
608 Posts
One of my favorite all time cow horses:

Wimpys Little Step

He is actually a reining horse, but is a dark palomino, almost looks like the horse worlds 'chocolate'. A real nice little pony.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
You can go with plenty of names from the Hollywood lines, Doc O'Lena, Smart Li'l Lena, Poco Bueno, Poco Tivio, all the various "Bars" (three bars, sugar bars, doc bar, lightening bar, etc.), the various Chex horses, Freckles, Pistols, etc.

·
Registered
583 Posts
our cutting horse "Jaquelin's Bonanza" is by Jumpin Jack Bonanza (Jack's Bonanza and Jumpin Jackie) on a Zan Parr Bar and Two Eyed Jack dam.

There's a lotta cow in that horse ;)

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
There is always the Quarterhorse foundation sire Wimpy, also Peppy San Badger and Mr San Peppy, the last two giving a couple of call name possibilities.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think I'd go to equistat.com or quarterhorsenews.com and pick from the top if you want truly famous cutting horses.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Playgun, Paddys Irish Whiskey, Peptoboonsmal

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I forgot about Peptoboonsmal, hehe what a name! Great horse though.

When I was a teenager all my girl friends had pictures from Teen Beat magazine plastered all over the walls of their bedrooms. I had King Fritz.

You guys have given me some good suggestions. I really like Two Eyed Jack and Doc O Lena. I'll check out those websites. Thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Major Bonanza was a sire that left a lot of 'common sense' , as a sire, as well as good looks and athletic ability - one of his owners called it that "Major Magic' . More current than my previous selection for sure

Couple of good options there.

Yeah Joe Hancock is an old one. Good stout horse, lots of speed, good legs and feet - which he passed on and left in his lines

·
Registered
112 Posts
One of the more popular dairy cow sires was a holstien Who Made Who.Maybe Northernstorm will chime in as he is an AI tech.that has a couple hundred different straws in his tank.Jim
Who Made Who was not a holstien sire, he was and still is a popular beef sire among alot of show people. I do beleive Who Made Who is sired by Dr Who. Some sire names we have on our lineup are, shot, diesel, bogart, millow, dreamer, gabor, blitz, major, maxum, durable, million, sanchez, plato, alexander, al, alan, atlantic, general,. You can go to our website for more names www.selectsires.com

·
Registered
605 Posts
This is really going to date me---would love to pretend I just read it---but when I was a kid one of the top Quarterhorse sires was Music Mount. That goes back a long way.

Glenda

·
Registered
22 Posts
I used to have a QH/Appaloosa named Flash Juana. His US lines had well performed horses, Bright Banner, Bright Eyes Brother, Star Duster, Cherokee Maiden, Don Juan, Plaudett, Banner Reed & Billy Maddon to name a few. On the Aussie side was Clover Pepsi, by Chuck Luck out of Calzona Katy. Also Clover Coconut in there and Driftwood.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Grays Starlight, Docs Remedy, Shining Spark, Smart Chic Olena, Boomernic, Reminic, Custom Chrome, Joe Cody, Docs Oak, and my all time favorite who I had the chance to meet before he died......Freckles Playboy

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you like Peppy San Badge a good call name might be "Buster" for his rider in the 1976 futuity Buster Welch.

On a side note I hope my family doesn't see this as Mom's cousin felt Buster won that one because he had hometown judges and he was the big name trainer. Anyone in dog games heard that one before?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Who Made Who was not a holstien sire, he was and still is a popular beef sire among alot of show people. I do beleive Who Made Who is sired by Dr Who. Some sire names we have on our lineup are, shot, diesel, bogart, millow, dreamer, gabor, blitz, major, maxum, durable, million, sanchez, plato, alexander, al, alan, atlantic, general,. You can go to our website for more names www.selectsires.com
My bad...do you stand behind every cow u beed? Ha......

1 - 20 of 30 Posts