RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

My name is Brian an I am looking for a trainer in Maryland to help with my dog. I live in Harford county (near PA line). This is my first dog that I plan to use/train for waterfowl hunting. I did my research an found a breeder and brought my Lab home a couple weeks ago. My dog is 14 weeks and is doing well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
968 Posts
What do you plan on doing with you dog? I live in joppatowne.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want the dog to be a good family dog first. Then I want to use it for mainly goose hunting in fields. Occasionally we hunt water for ducks during the season but we mainly hunt fields for geese.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Join a club.... Northern Piedmont Retriever Club is somewhat near you... we train near Gettysburg, PA... sometimes closer to you though. Let me know if you are interested and I can get you some more info.

BTW, Pat Nolan is away for a couple of weeks, but he would be a great contact.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Join a club.... Northern Piedmont Retriever Club is somewhat near you... we train near Gettysburg, PA... sometimes closer to you though. Let me know if you are interested and I can get you some more info.

BTW, Pat Nolan is away for a couple of weeks, but he would be a great contact.
I would second joining Piedmont. I haven't run any of their events in years, so no idea if Larry Housman, Frank Plewa, etc. still belong. Great folks in that club to train with. In it for all the right reasons and you'll have a good time. I had the opportunity to train for a few days (sure he doesn't remember-I went down with a friend who was picking up his dog) with Pat Nolan and I like his attitude with the dogs. Not a heavy handed guy.

Good luck!

M

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I would second joining Piedmont. I haven't run any of their events in years, so no idea if Larry Housman, Frank Plewa, etc. still belong. Great folks in that club to train with. In it for all the right reasons and you'll have a good time. I had the opportunity to train for a few days (sure he doesn't remember-I went down with a friend who was picking up his dog) with Pat Nolan and I like his attitude with the dogs. Not a heavy handed guy.

Good luck!

M
Miriam,

Yes... Frank and Larry are still involved.... great crew to train with and we always try to have a good time....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys thanks for the info. Gettysburg is kinda far. Now once my dog is trained and I can go a couple times a year then possibly. My problem is from Jan -Jun my job is nuts. Working 15 hours/6 days a week. But that's my problem, anyway my wife tries but we
Both Need guidance.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
The Roberts are pros that do a great job training dogs

·
Registered
968 Posts
I would try Patty Jordan she has a couple young dogs.
She is in Cecil Coounty.
There are no pros in Harford County.
The good trainers in our area train for field trials. So it is hard to find a gun dog trainer.
I would send pupknuckle a pm on here he should have some phone numbers for you.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Richard Barnes used to live in Darlington, he is not a pro but would be a good person to know. Very knowledgeable guy. I don't have any contact info though, ask at the firehouse.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Come to Elkton/ C&D Canal this weekend. Forry, Roberts, Bohn et al will all be there for the Lab RC Trial.

Tim

·
Registered
968 Posts
Richard Barnes used to live in Darlington, he is not a pro but would be a good person to know. Very knowledgeable guy. I don't have any contact info though, ask at the firehouse.
Richard still lives in Darlington. He has helped a bunch of us out.

But with this guys schedule I doubt he is going to be able to train with different amateurs.

Also you mentioned Del Bay Club they only have like 2 training days in May. I honestly dont know of any clubs in md that has training days every month.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Richard still lives in Darlington. He has helped a bunch of us out.

But with this guys schedule I doubt he is going to be able to train with different amateurs.

Also you mentioned Del Bay Club they only have like 2 training days in May. I honestly dont know of any clubs in md that has training days every month.
Hey Nick, What ever happened to that HRC club in Havre de Grace ?

john

·
Registered
968 Posts
Hey Nick, What ever happened to that HRC club in Havre de Grace ?

john
It was going to be started with Delta and stuff fell apart. The delta president left and other people had to step in.

Other stuff happen that I will pm you about.

·
Registered
34 Posts
even though you have a lab, try the Potomac Valley Golden Retriever Club and/or the Capitol Region Flat Coat Retriever Club. They each train one weekend day a month south of you about 50 miles and they are great with puppies. (be prepared for some lab jealousy!)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts