RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've have a 5 month old pup who retrieves well but hesitates delivering his dummy the last 10 feet or so. He is basically playing keep away at the end. When I leash him with a long line, he comes right to me. I have a shock collar but have't used yet, not knowing when to try and correct. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
12,625 Posts
Wecome to RTF Steve.
sounds like a young and fun pup.
no worries about the rope.
BUT you could use the tried and true tricks like taking the second bumper that you always keep in your back pocket out and twirling it. and super happy, old lady next door thinks your crazy, type of praise when the pup comes to you even if you tugged on the rope, and petting the dog first and NOT grabbing at the bumper first thing. A great many folk CC (collar Condition) at the 4-5 month age here only. Others wait until teeth are in and dog is set for FF (force fetch). A guy I used to train with kept his Flat-Coated on a lead for a year.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wecome to RTF Steve.
sounds like a young and fun pup.
BUT you could use the tried and true tricks like taking the second bumper that you always keep in your back pocket out and twirling it. and super happy, old lady next door thinks your crazy, type of praise when the pup comes to you even if you tugged on the rope, and petting the dog first and NOT grabbing at the bumper first thing. A great many folk CC (collar Condition) at the 4-5 month age here only. Others wait until teeth are in and dog is set for FF (force fetch). A guy I used to train with kept his Flat-Coated on a lead for a year.
Yup, what Ken said...gotta love that rope. My Koda is 20 weeks old, easily doing land marks to 60 yards, retrieves to hand, and still wears a rope. However, I did run into a small jam when "acting crazy/big love" stopped working at 12-13 weeks...Koda would come back half way and stop. So I just went in the house...and he was at the back door with the bumper within 15 seconds. I probably had to do that 3-4 times before the keep-away game ended. Still, every now and then, I have to turn my back on him, and he'll charge in those last few feet.

And welcome to RTF!

·
Registered
438 Posts
I too like the rope - I use at least 50' of very light weight line. The tail end is always back by me. If the pup can go farther than that, I add more rope.

When the pup starts the keep away game. I just reel them in. Usually I pull fast enough that they lose the bumper. They hate that. Then I pick up the bumper and don't let them get it. They hate that too. No negative, all happy. A few times of being reeled in like a trout and the pup starts keeping the bumper in her mouth and tries to get to me faster to avoid the fishing experience!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I too like the rope - I use at least 50' of very light weight line. The tail end is always back by me. If the pup can go farther than that, I add more rope.

When the pup starts the keep away game. I just reel them in. Usually I pull fast enough that they lose the bumper. They hate that. Then I pick up the bumper and don't let them get it. They hate that too. No negative, all happy. A few times of being reeled in like a trout and the pup starts keeping the bumper in her mouth and tries to get to me faster to avoid the fishing experience!
My pup is going to be 6months at the end of this week and the Check cord was/is my savior! I would only throw retrieves as long as the cord for a little while so that way I would reel him in now I throw them further than 30ft with the cord still on him and if he decides to play keep away just grab the cord and reel him/her in.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Never underestimate the lure of running away from him as a tool for getting him to come to you. The rope is a good idea too.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Steve, I'm in Molalla.PM me for my contact info.Who's your pup out of?

Jeff

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
non cheaty water singles may be worth a try too. they give no choice but to return to you. wear knee boots just in case. i have done these with keep away pups that start dropping when the rope gets tight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts