RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im training my first dog. Things are going well we got our JH 4 f 4, and have been working real hard(using fowl dawgs, what was avalible to me) on our pattern blinds and swim buy. I decided to run my first NAHRA intermediate test(1st test where she had to heel off lead) and we did alright got past the land section, and upland she broke on go bird of water. big splash in their face....but prob. shouldn't have made it that far as soon as i took off lead it was like kid at x-mas. Healed ok at first but half way to line she was doing circles, just plain amped up, got her heeled land flyer and 2nt mark hit the ground she had creeped 6 ft or so reheeled, and she picked em up. land blind same thing soon as lead came off basiclly like i wasnt there. same with water was done before gunners evan went off but they were gonna let us go at em aand u know the rest.

In training shes pretty steady..when couple of us get togeather i do address healing to line best i know, but i feel she very capable of what im asking.

How to address this issue when training alone or with the ol lady(i have to handle and disapline). Dogs stady 95 percent of time when its just me or us.

Any thoughts or ideas welcome thanks

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
It's late here, but short answer is stop running tests and focus on training, let dog mature...

·
Registered
306 Posts
What FOM said and make sure the dog is excellent, not "pretty good" in high distraction enviroments including training. For example, when my pup was 100% on sit and here in the yard I then took him out to a park far away from people/dogs until 100%, then close to people/dogs, then to a shopping mall etc. etc. The distraction was increasingly greater. Train it positive (with treats or whatever) and then if you use an ecollar or leash, correct if need be. Meanwhile at training, the dog should be under control at all times. Try to train with other people at least once a week. Set up a holding blind, have some that are not running sitting behind acting like judges, etc but make sure the dog is always under control. If not don't reward him with a retrieve.

That's what I did anyway.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I just bet if Lainee was to watch you run your dog, even on the day when you think the dog is steady, Lainee would point out very subtle clues as to how your are letting your dog get away with pure unadulterated MURDER!

She would be nice to you about it! She isn't so nice to me!

One thing .... NEVER say you have a pretty steady dog! Quickest way to get on the yellow brick road to hell that I know of!

quit running tests and train. .... A lot! With folks that will take a stick to YOU if ya let the dog move ...... At ALL!!!
m
:):):

·
Registered
651 Posts
I know what you are experiencing. I have a dog with a ton of drive, her manners in training and other venues (I do obedience and agility too) are impeccable. I recently ran my first SH tests and I thought my dog would be gone with each element of the test.I am pleased to say my dog listened to me and stayed put but my stomach was in my throat. Her drive level increased so much, it's nothing I have ever seen in training or any other venue. She felt like a keg of TNT with a lit fuse ready to blow, walking to that line.

One thing that was brought to my attention a few months back was at the line in training when the bumper/bird was in the air my dog would shift forward, not really a creep more of tightening her sit position for the release explosion. I didn't think it was an issue, until someone said that will get worse in a test environment. So I worked it hard in training. Sit motionless. I honestly think that is what got me past the walk ups and breaking birds in her test. Sit means sit.....no exception.

Last fall I got to be a SH test dog. It's the only time my dog ever broke on a line. She'd passed her WCX (off leash) the day before. That plagued me through these tests. My girl got her first 2 SH legs. I plan to train obedience more cleanly and my blind handling over the winter so next year maybe I won't be so worried about what could go wrong. I need my confidence improved.

You just cannot replicate the test environment. So in training you can't allow the slightest shift of standards. That is clear to me now. High bar has to stay high.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
As others have said ... stop running tests until you KNOW you have your dog at the 100% level. I always think of the dog's level of training as - do you KNOW that the dog CAN do the work or do you THINK the dog SHOULD be able to do the work? Then add in the excitement of a test venue and usually your dog that CAN do the work may be looser than normal on their obedience on test day.

You mention training alone, but there are clubs in the Iowa area and I believe that they do run training days so that you can expose your dog and your training in more test like conditions. Not sure about AKC clubs, but you can find the NAHRA clubs listed at www.nahra.org

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. I kinda figured id hear the stop tests deal which is fine, im just so competitve i enjoy that enviorment. I am very much apart of EIHRA here in CR were doing some great things right now to our public training area(building large pond for a land water area as we speak and couple other stages to come in future. still trying togather a little outside help) and i have also met some really helpful non members that I got togeather with away from club to train as well. I'm looking for everyday drills or senerios which i can run to cement this in her head. not looking for the easy way or some magic touch. i do have in the mail evans basic obedience dvd. so hopefully it'll teachg me how to stop my bad habits which are allowing her to think she can do this im sure. i can take anything you have to say so tell it like you see it.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
If you are looking for a book with a lot of drills that work from started through to advance, get yourself a copy of Carol Cassity's Building a Retriever Drills & More. It will give you additional information that you can incorporate into your training along with Evan's dvd.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks will do

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
It's late here, but short answer is stop running tests and focus on training, let dog mature...
Best answer and put things in order before you run again. He is still young. High standards. Lots of group training keeping standards up in public.

·
Registered
238 Posts
High standards I never let mine out of the kennel until I tell so. Never let load up in the box without me telling them so.i never let them go back in the kennel without me telling then its ok. Give them a inch and hey will take a mile. I don't even let them eat without me telling them to eat.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Gotta read your dog. Figure out how to make em' think it was their decision to stay by your side and/or sit their butt down.

Opposite of what others have already suggested.... Do you ever let em' run "loose"
in training? Some of these big horsepower dogs blow up
at the test or trial cause' they've always been trained so "tight" that they short circuit when they are allowed to run "loose" at a test/trial.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She's always with me man unless I'm at work I tried they said no... probably best fishing dog i ever had. hehe jk but ya she's always just by my side. Ill play frisbee in the airing section of a hunt test. i enjoy the looks. she knows when its time to work. If she cant be a dog when allowed, I dont care if she never passes another hunt test/trial I'm cool with that. but THERES NO PROBLEM WITH THE DOG. I have failed her. I need to tighten up my standards and teach her what i expect at the line. I just figured id ask what some of you guys did to work on that. im not scared to put some pressure on her. Wasnt sure if anyone ever put a clipped pigeon on pole had someone entice her with it while i controlled her or anything like that. The book mentioned above looks great. i see that coming her real soon just wish i could find it in a "books on tape" kinda thing jk but no really.....

catch ya all out in the feild, keep the ideas coming Rooke

·
Registered
553 Posts
Never saw a perfect dog in training that goes crazy at trials or tests...look at yourself as the problem....YOUR OBEDIENCE!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
im not scared to put some pressure on her. Wasnt sure if anyone ever put a clipped pigeon on pole had someone entice her with it while i controlled her or anything like that.

Rooke
Just a word of caution. A couple of cliches but... Teach before you test. Dont set your dog up for failure.

Think of it this way, just because your dog can run a pattern blind doesn't mean she can go out and run a 300yd crosswind blind past a flyer station and I would hope you wouldn't try. Why is OB different? Tighter standards but make sure you're not setting the dog up for failure. Success builds upon success.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just a word of caution. A couple of cliches but... Teach before you test. Dont set your dog up for failure.
yes sir dont think into this statement to much i said some pressure not a lot. the dog sleeps in the bed half the time i could never would never......

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have been told by a pro that "You don't train until you get it right, You train until you don't get it wrong". This has helped me slow down, and become a better trainer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ya i saw the traffic cop dvd as well..i watched the short clip and it looked good found it after i had ordered the one i did itll have to wait lil while
and i will certinly check out the link

thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts