RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

So I have done some searching on here with no luck, but I am seeking advice. I am looking to get a new box as my 2 hole just isn't enough (I have too much stuff for my little truck and need something with drawers/storage). I have a Toyota Tacoma, which I love, but a 3 hole slide in isn't an option as the holes would not be wide enough. I am planning on adding another pup sometime in the not too distant future so need to be able to haul 3 dogs (2 competitive and one companion). I also need to haul 3 Mini Z's, 2 holding blinds, and 2 BB 4 shooters, along with bumpers and the normal stuff. I am playing around with ideas and trying to decide between a 3 hole crossover and a topper. Either would be able to get me everything I need, I am pretty sure just looking for opinions. I have had some people say get a topper and others say steer clear of a topper. I am thinking a crossover would be a good option, but I have never seen one in person nor seen any pictures of them or posts.

Can anyone who has/has had a crossover please comment/post pictures/tell me a little about them? I am wanting a drawer system underneath and just want to make sure that this would be a safe option (not sure since the holes all basically sit on top of the bed or at least I think that is how they are :confused: ). Would a topper be better since they sit just like the crossover??? If I had a bigger truck I would've already bought a used 3 hole slide in; however, getting a different truck just isn't an option right now. I am not necessarily looking for opinions on a particular manufacturer (I already have a couple that I am considering), just looking for opinions on what y'all think might be my best option. Thanks RTF community! :)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Jamie,

I think the crossover puts the dog holes above the box of the truck to give you more room. Here is one from MTCK, they can customize for your size truck for sure.

http://www.mtck.com/gallery/Gallery.aspx

Chris

·
Registered
834 Posts
I never had a topper, I always pulled a trailer. So not first hand experience but it I think the major difference is weather the dog jumps into the topper or you jump into the truck bed and get dog from crossover. I also would think more storage and bed usage with the topper. Just my thoughts Like I said never owned either.

Randy

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
We have a 4 hole topper and a 3 hole slide in - the topper is on my truck and the slide in is in my husband's. I like my topper because I have plenty of storage (closest, drawer system, pressurized water tank, storage areas, etc, etc.) Only down fall is I can't really pull our travel trailer with the same truck, hence the 3 hole slide in for my husband's vehicle. Draw back of the slide in is lack of storage, but we tend to use it more for just trial weekends when we don't need all the gear. With the topper I have a jump ladder plus had the sides of my truck color matched and sprayed with LINEX bed liner - you will scratch your truck up with a topper. Ultimately I want a chassis mount down the road, but for now I love my topper. I also carry all the gear you have (3 wingers, holding blind and 5 stick men), minus the BB's, but those could easily fit in an empty hole and/or the back seat (I have 2 4 shooters). Other nice thing about the topper is everything is weather proof, where a crossover (slide in) I just don't see how you could keep your wingers and such from getting soaked if it rains or exposing the rubber tubing to more sun damage than need be.

Good luck deciding...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts