RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any good dig training tips or books. I messed up my knee over the weekend. I am know in a brace not supposed to walk on it. Had MRI today. The doc thought before the MRI I had at least torn ACL, meniscus, and medial colateral ligament. FML. So any idea would be great.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Unfortunately, you're going to need to mass order any and every reading material possible to pass the amount of time required to fix that. Sorry to break the news to you. I had similar injuries and repairs last fall. You may also want to look into a cadaver hamstring instead of harvesting your own to rebuild the ACL. It was mentioned to me, but the surgeon really said no. (Come to find out, they get to bill extra if they harvest the hamstring themselves, instead of having one from someone else.) Wish now that I had, since recovery from that part of the surgery was worse than drilling the holes back through the bones.

Good luck.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Any good dig training tips or books. I messed up my knee over the weekend. I am know in a brace not supposed to walk on it. Had MRI today. The doc thought before the MRI I had at least torn ACL, meniscus, and medial colateral ligament. FML. So any idea would be great.
Hi
"The Art and Science of Handling Retrievers" by Dave Rorem. This is a great video.

Regards
JT
www.marshhawkretrievers.com

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sometime soon get a 2nd opinion,order everything you want to read and/or you think you want,but get the 2nd or 3rd consult.
You only have 2 legs/knees!
Your eyes are still good,fix the knee.

44 Posts
sorry about the injury! best of luck in recovery! Evan Graham stuff is really good, especially if your looking for simple ways to get into advanced work. The Lardy Dvd set is real good too! Gundogs Online has all of that, plus a bunch of free training videos and articles!

·
Registered
145 Posts
This is not an accurate statement.
In my case, that IS an accurate statement. I was charged for both a surgeon and a PA assisting in the surgery, with separated charges for BOTH of them to BOTH take part in harvesting my hamstring, and then rebuilding it as the ACL. Two separate health care providers charging for two separate procedures. My surgeon easily profited more from doing the hamstring procedure himself. For him, one trip to the surgery center, one scrub, one waiting for a patient to be put under and prepped, etc, but charge for two procedures.

·
Registered
16 Posts
In my case, that IS an accurate statement. I was charged for both a surgeon and a PA assisting in the surgery, with separated charges for BOTH of them to BOTH take part in harvesting my hamstring, and then rebuilding it as the ACL. Two separate health care providers charging for two separate procedures. My surgeon easily profited more from doing the hamstring procedure himself. For him, one trip to the surgery center, one scrub, one waiting for a patient to be put under and prepped, etc, but charge for two procedures.
Your confusion on this matter is significant. It is easy to misunderstand billing procedures such as you describe. The reason for my response is that people are often misinformed when dealing with medical billing from physicians. These misconceptions should not be perpetuated. I am willing to communicate briefly by PM so as to not bore the rest of the board. Suffice it to say, your surgeon was paid the same whether he used your tissue (autograft) or a donors tissue (allograft). There are specific codes for your ACL procedure that EVERY insurance company as well as Medicare follows. There are no differing codes for autograft and allograft ACL surgery. The use of a PA or an assistant surgeon are allowed for specific procedures deemed major surgeries. An ACL surgery is one of the procedures that constitute a major surgery.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Ken, could you give us a review of the book?

Seems like most well bred labs have lots of motivation. A high percentage of the posts here are requests asking how to tone down some of the "motivation" and get control of the dog.

Don't need to train more into the dog regards,

:razz: :razz:

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I have seen some goldens that need lots of motivation. Based on the book cover maybe that is the subject matter. LOL!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Went through ACL cadaver replacement 3 years ago after a drunk driver hit me on duty. Hopefully you don't have to go through condroplastie on your femar head too. That was extremlly painfully. Vicodan and Crown Royal! got me through the first two weeks... I used my riding mower to get me around the property to train. I called it the mini-mule. Good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts