RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dog can eat a pigs ear like a milk bone, a nylabone in 2 minutes, a 12" jumbo bullystick at $5 in 10 min, and shatters the white sterilized bones into pieces.

What can I give this dog the he can chew longer then 10 min, doesn't cost a fortune, won't kill him if breaks and swallows a hunk, and is natural and good for him with minimal synthetic ingredients.

Thanks I know there is hope.

TJ

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I can't imagine that any dog can chew up a big nylabone. We keep then until they're a small stub. Get a bigger nylabone...

·
Registered
875 Posts
Unfortunately, the best chew bones are pricey. The great big souper Nylabone Galileo Bones and the Big Chew Nylabones run somewhere between $15 and $20, but they do last. Try goggling for best price. My chewer is going through Moose Antler bones -
http://acadiaantlers.weebly.com/. A nice big soup bone from the butcher lasts maybe an hour with our dogs.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Black Giant Kongs and Jolly Balls made for horses. My dogs eat red kong toys for fun before dinner.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately, the best chew bones are pricey. The great big souper Nylabone Galileo Bones and the Big Chew Nylabones run somewhere between $15 and $20, but they do last. Try goggling for best price. My chewer is going through Moose Antler bones -
http://acadiaantlers.weebly.com/. A nice big soup bone from the butcher lasts maybe an hour with our dogs.
Is it ok for them to consume the whole soup bone start to finish? Do the antlers crack off like the sterilized bones do and how do they digest?

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
I get big raw beef femurs 12-14" long from the butcher. I've never had a dog actually chew them up, though I have one who figured out how to drop/throw them on the hard floor once they've dried out and break them to get to the middle marrow. They are messy, though, when fresh, and dogs have to either be downstairs on concrete, outside or crated. At $1.39/lb, I get a big bag of them pretty reasonable.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I have a few power chewer Peakes, and I give mine frozen marrow bones. I only get the thick-cut ones, which I buy fresh and freeze. You do have to sort of 'ease' them into it because if they're not used to the marrow it can give them the runs. Mine get them weekly, but now I've told so many people about them, I have to call the grocery ahead of time to set some aside for me. Keeps their teeth nice & white too, lasts longer and cheaper than any commercially made treat you can buy.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
The antlers last the longest. I have one that can go through a knucle bone in a day and the femur bones she gets down to chunks but the thick antlers she had the longest. The only thing is they are expensive.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The antlers last the longest. I have one that can go through a knucle bone in a day and the femur bones she gets down to chunks but the thick antlers she had the longest. The only thing is they are expensive.
Can they crack like the sterilized bones??

·
Registered
658 Posts
Nylabone in 2 minutes is a problem if you don't see it shredded on the floor, that means he is swallowing it and if so then make sure you see it coming out. Maybe get him a small car tire, the chewing can be a challenge with some dogs. I have one that has eaten about a third of a Dogloo and you can see everywhere he goes out back by the white plastic. Ghost pepper will keep him off of it as long as it is on there but he is persistent. I used to use an old can of Bear Alaska Grizzly spray on the edge until one day the wind shifted during application, don't want to go through that again. Probably going to have to build him a brick dog house.

·
Registered
376 Posts
"I give mine frozen marrow bones."

I give mine marrow bones every day but don't freeze them. They are about an inch thick and I get them at the grocery. I get about 30 minutes of quiet. Maybe I'll freeze them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Red kong stuffed with peanut butter (or anything really. smoked fish, even.). Sounds like your guy is pretty bad, so a black kong may work.

Two minute Nylabone, really? I agree that you need a bigger Nylabone. A couple months ago Lowes had them for $10 (normally $15-20).

G

·
I have sent nylabones back to the company because my dog eats them so fast I'm afraid to give him any more bones for fear of breaking teeth. I put milk bones inside the kong so far he enjoys playing with them chewing them till the cookie falls apart.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts