RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a nice Lean Mac x Boss dog that is 2.5 yrs old. Just started to run Finished after going 4-4 in Seasoned. Last fall sent him to Canada where he retrieved 2500 geese and 1500 ducks. When he left here he was 90 lbs and solid muscle.
I've had him back since Jan when he came back from hunting and he is almost 80 lbs and looks skinny. You can see his ribs when he is wet. Not sick or wormy but I would like to put some weight on him before he goes back to Canada in the fall. He still has plenty of energy but I know he will need some reserve before going back to the outfitter/ owner.
Was feeding PPP switched to Diamond Premium because of the $. ( $30 vs. $18 per bag) All others in the kennel are doing quite well on the Diamond.
Ideas to increase weight on this nice dog?

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I know you said he doesnt look wormy but couldnt there still be a a chance he got some through biting a flea which I dont think monthly wormer will take care of.I would think a test would be helpful or how old is the dog?Could thyroid issue be a concern,not a vet just trying to help.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I did the same thing for my little lighnting bolt. She only weighed 51 pounds at a year and was pretty skinny. The problem is that she is all go. I upped her intake and switched to the Diamond premium. She has put about five pounds on. For her frame I think she needs another five pounds or so, but she looks alot better now. I feed her about 32 oz of food per day.

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
I had a young dog that had no appetite. So upping the food level didn't work cause she'd just walk away from the food.

I found a "weight gain" formula at Revivalanimal.com. Mostly it is alfalfa juice. It did WONDERS! It upped her appetite and she starting eating and gaining weight.

You might up the dog's food intake and find a supplement like that.

WRL

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Since in the past when you fed PPP he did not have a weight problem, have you thought about trying to feed him that again? Maybe he and Diamond aren't a good match.

Andy

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Andy, that was my thought. If you don't want to feed all the dogs ProPlan Performance and they are all doing fine on the Diamond, just switch him back.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
Andy Carlson said:
Since in the past when you fed PPP he did not have a weight problem, have you thought about trying to feed him that again? Maybe he and Diamond aren't a good match.

Andy
I'm totally agreeing with Andy. This is a case where one should not be concerned so much with cost as maintaining a dog with the best food for them. My experience with Diamond is it has not been a good choice for my dogs, especially my LeanMac lines who kind of naturally slim. I send Euk Performance along with my dog at the trainers because the difference is dramatic (the pro feeds a different food). He is just right. When a dog food is cheaper it's not just advertising but they may be using ingredients of lesser quality. Kind of like feeding your kids cheap hot dogs instead of good cuts of meat.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I too use to send Euk Performance with my train to keep a Lean Mac not looking like he was sick and starved. He did not even keep any weight on with it. I switched to Nutri Source and he has looked great since. It is a little hard to find but I found a site online to order from and they have free shipping in zone 1 and I got my food the next day after I ordered it. I know Nutri Source also has a premium performance food also, I have just used the Adult and have a retired dog on the Senior. Coats look great and they love it. Good luck. If you want the online site, pm me and I will send you the link.

·
Registered
266 Posts
skinny

I had a dog recently that couldn't keep weight on no matter what food I fed as long as he lived in the kennel. He paced in the kennel burning calories but if we moved him in the house he put on weight.

Bill

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Some of the formulas are just too hot to feed the whole day's food at one feeding. Try dividing the ration up in an a.m. and p.m. feeding. Those dog's with a high metabolism (like some lines) do better on feeding twice per day and will maintain their weight better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts