RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog is doing ok on force fetch but is easily distracted.can someone tells how to keep him focused and would an e collar work to help

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
what are the distractions? if possible, eliminate them - either by changing the location of your FF or removing the distraction(s).
How long are each of your FF sessions - 3-5 minutes is recommended, generally.
A collar will not help you if you are going about the ear pinch or toe hitch method. Collar pressure is used only after the command is known not to teach it. (for most people, I would assume)
Obedience should be solid before beginning FF. I usually do some obedience work right before a ff session. Nothing major, just some sit, heel, down, here type of work - maybe 30-40 sec.

if you are going to use an ecollar in the future - be sure to put it on your dog now, even if you won't be giving any corrections. They should wear it any time you train.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks that is very helpful he is actually doing better than I thought but the distractions are he is picking up a scent and takes off

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I train FF where distractions are at a minimum. The dog will offer plenty of opportunities to reinforce this during training in the field where there are more distractions.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Where are you doing ff?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks that is very helpful he is actually doing better than I thought but the distractions are he is picking up a scent and takes off
Keep him secured, taking off is him winning the battle of avoiding pressure.

·
Registered
319 Posts
OK. I'll bite.

Put him on the tailgate of the truck where you don't have to bend over. Your hands are on him at all times, either forcing or reassuring him that he's a good boy.

Do this where there are no distractions. In the garage with the doors closed?

I've done it in the driveway where he has seen everything in the area his whole life. He is familiar with the surroundings and therefore they are not a distraction. Or in the yard where you have spent months teaching sit and learning to love to retrieve.

Have the kids stay indoors for 15 minutes. Put the other pets in a pen or inside.

Running off is his way of getting out of doing this. He really shouldn't be running off at this level of training. I'm afraid you have more problems if he isn't obedient.

His sit should be solid by now.

Also, there is no harm having a long lead on him all the time.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Well this education didn't last long.

·
Registered
506 Posts
That's dog behavior 101. I'm assuming the trainer is a novice, and avoiding side effects is what they do--not that it's a bad thing, just that, professionals work through the side effects. put a leash on the dog so he can't run away and make him focus on the job at hand. Your FF job will much more solid.

good luck
GG

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
The plot of the mystery thickens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the advice he does really good with basic obedience and he does good for the first few minutes could I be training too long?

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Well may come across as a d!ick, but he's training you. Training is done on your terms not his. If he is allowed to just avoid working when he wants, he's just learning he can do whatever he wants. I'd recommend getting with someone experienced in FF and have them guide you.

/Paul

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Well may come across as a d!ick, but he's training you. Training is done on your terms not his. If he is allowed to just avoid working when he wants, he's just learning he can do whatever he wants. I'd recommend getting with someone experienced in FF and have them guide you.

/Paul
I agree. You...trainer...OP... can fool us once.... : )

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Maybe you should use a table. Lots of suggestions have been made but you seem to have discarded them. Or not answered the questions that will help us help you.

You need to describe the method you are using.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts