RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got Franny a smaller vest. The medium was too large... The small seems to be a little big too, though I'm not sure. She is only 9 months old, so I'm thinking she may fill it out better as time goes on. I trimmed a little, should I trim more, or is this vest fine?

Attachments

· Registered
1,362 Posts
Looks too big around the shoulders. I had mine custom cut by a seamstress - took the vest and the dog into her shop and she fitted it. Prior to that I'd gone to a dive show (in the NM desert of all places) and bought the correct cement. The seamstress applied the cement and stitched it as well so it was well-tailored to the dog. That does mess the vest up if the dog changes much or if you want to use it on another dog, but it worked very well for Taylor. Prior to the fitting, weird crud would get inside the vest and I always worried about that.

· Registered
11,158 Posts
Rick Hall posted this several years ago

· Registered
166 Posts
I've fitted a few vests over the years. I went to a dive shop and bought cement made to alter or repair dive suits. If you cut a "V" out where the loose area is and cement the edges together, the bond is incredibly strong. I cover the seam areas with aqua seal too. Make your initial cuts small and work your way to the fit that you want.

· Registered
9,788 Posts
If by chance you purchased “Aqua Seal” ( popular at dive shops) You can get same stuff at flyshops.. same stuff

· Registered
9,788 Posts
Aqua Seal is also available as a UV formula.. You can purchase a small UV torch ( flashlight) and carry that and a small tube of the UV formula for field repairs if need.
Handy stuff for all kinds of repairs on fabric, ect,
Tents, raft floors, Waders, EZ up canopies , ect.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts