1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI
September 20, 2022
California: Governor Signs Amended Training Bill – American Kennel Club

California Governor Gavin Newsom has signed a bill requiring dog trainers to disclose whether there have been any civil judgements regarding their training or any animal cruelty convictions.

The new law was significantly amended from the original version of Assembly Bill 1901 at the request of AKC, sportsmen, and trainers throughout the state. It goes into effect on January 1, 2023.

Assembly Bill 1901 as originally introduced sought to regulate all trainers as boarding facilities and included 13 pages of new requirements.

As signed by the governor, the new law simply requires disclosure of a trainer’s name and address, as well as any civil judgements relating to their animal training services or animal cruelty convictions (read AKC’s previous alert for more information). If there are no such judgements or convictions, that must be conveyed as well. The law does not specify how the information must be disclosed, presumably leaving that up to the individual trainers or clubs (Written statements, online, etc.)

For more information on California legislation impacting dog owners, contact AKC GR at [email protected]

Reactions: J. Marti

·
Registered
767 Posts
This is a BIG win for dog trainers. The bill as first introduced included these requirements:

Assembly Bill 1901 equates all training facilities in the state to boarding kennels and, as stated in the digest at the beginning of the bill, “would establish parallel requirements for dog trainers, dog training facilities, and dog training facility operators…” This would apply to anyone in the state who trains a dog in exchange for compensation provided by the dog’s owner at any premises or location in the state.
The definition of dog training is very broad and must be assumed to encompass every type of training, including drop-in classes, public and private training, Canine Good Citizen classes, obedience training, handling classes, performance and sporting training, or any dog training in the state for which the instructor/trainer may receive any type of compensation.
The bill establishes the following legal mandates of dog trainers:
  • Provide many of the same elements required of boarding kennels. This would include:
    • Providing every dog with a floormat, rest board or similar device
    • If enclosures are used, ensuring that the animals have free body movement and the head does not hit the top of the cage. This includes temporary crating.
    • Provide food and water at intervals suitable for the dog. AKC believes this should be clarified regarding whether food and water should be offered to dogs at brief training classes when dogs are not kept overnight.
  • Provide each dog daily with “enrichment sufficient to maintain the behavioral health of the dog.” Again it is unclear how this applies to a 60-minute weekly training class, and whether this means toys and other enrichment items must be provided at every class, regardless of the length of time or the purpose of the training.
  • Provide a written disclosure to anyone “purchasing” dog training services – This disclosure would include whether the trainer is licensed or certified by any animal training organization and a list of the trainer’s training techniques, including whether they use “negative reinforcement”. AKC does not support inhumane or dangerous training. However, this term is not defined, so it is unclear if it would also include a firm verbal command or action to correct an action or prevent a dog from harming itself.
  • Provide the same written information to owners that are provided by boarding kennels. This would include the days and times dogs may be picked up and dropped off, days and times personnel are on site, and the training facility’s “customary daily activity schedule”. It is unclear how this will be enforced when classes are not at a permanent facility and are not offered every day.
  • Keep written records for a year on the “health, status, and disposition” of each dog trained.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
This is a BIG win for dog trainers. The bill as first introduced included these requirements:
How is more government requirements ever a win for anyone?
Within two years E collars will be illegal in California. You heard it here first.
Would not surprise me. Even if they aren't banned, there is a good chance that California's power grid won't be able to charge them:cool:

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
If you don't want to work to try to ratchet down extreme legislation, that is your choice.
The solution to extreme legislation is not slightly less extreme legislation.
If you are opposed to stricter government requirements regarding border crossing and voter ID laws
Those laws have been in the books for many years and are being ignored.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Okay. I haven't spent any time on most of the borders of the U.S. so I will take your word for it. What types of violations have you seen? At what border crossings? Just in Texas? Florida? California? North Dakota? Michigan?

I have, however, spent substantial amounts of time--I am talking a couple of years of my life--in election headquarters in many municipalities, counties, and states. I have never seen anyone I would consider having purposely violated ID laws but how would I know?

Where and when have you seen voter ID violations? Were you there as an elections official, a designated party official, or a designated observer? A journalist? Constitutionally designated law enforcement officer?
1. I have no idea what you are talking about.
2. Start a thread on POTUS if you would like to discuss it.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
You implied border and election laws were not being enforced. I wanted to know if you have first-hand evidence.
I don't live in Martha's Vineyard, if that is what you are asking.
If you hate government requirements, the AKC is a governing body. You have a talented golden male but the AKC governing body restricts you from breeding him. But you own the dog so why not breed him? There are plenty of great dogs/litters that are not AKC registered or eligible for AKC registration.
Anyone with a talented, healthy Golden bitch is free to contact me. All my contact info is on the judges directory.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Okay. I haven't spent any time on most of the borders of the U.S. so I will take your word for it. What types of violations have you seen? At what border crossings? Just in Texas? Florida? California? North Dakota? Michigan?

I have, however, spent substantial amounts of time--I am talking a couple of years of my life--in election headquarters in many municipalities, counties, and states. I have never seen anyone I would consider having purposely violated ID laws but how would I know?

Where and when have you seen voter ID violations? Were you there as an elections official, a designated party official, or a designated observer? A journalist? Constitutionally designated law enforcement officer?
Yes I have seen both with my own eyes. Yes I have watched our judicial system cancel over a thousand eye witnesses. What planet are you from
Pete

1 - 14 of 14 Posts