RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off i'm new to the forum and to training retrievers figured this was a good place to start. I got my first chessie pup about 3 weeks ago she is 22 weeks old and doesn't seem to be interested in anything. I'm working on the basics come sit down place. i guess my question is how do i motivate her. i have tried training at different times, treats everything i can think of i understand there a bit more of a stubborn breed but there has to be something any ideas right now i'm going with she is just to young.

·
Registered
266 Posts
What is her breeding? I wonder why she was still with the breeder at 19 weeks. What were they doing with her? training wise.

·
Registered
266 Posts
well that takes away several flags for me. Still what is her background. Mostly show or does she have retriever events in there? Or from a family background with no titles?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mostly showing but mom and dad are both hunters. i did my research on the breeder and followed up with other owners of ups and all was really good i guess the main problem is she doesn't seem to want to please on anything she just wants to do her own thing but then on some training sessions she is on it and really into it but most of the time she seems distracted and wanting to be doing something else i try to keep the sessions short 5 to 10 min with lots of praise and followed with some play time.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Nick, she is 11 weeks old ! a baby ! I think you may need to slow down.

Let her have fun and be a pup. She will sense you thinking she has no interest and that will effect her. Play with her. Take her many many places. Let her see many things, many people, many other animals, and many dogs. Socialize her.

Be glad when you get reactions out of her you want, but don't worry when you don't, not at 11 weeks anyways... You have years ahead of you to train. patience! keep it FUN and POSITIVE for you pup. Work with her often.

Use rope (a check cord). Use frozen cut up hot dogs or cherrios for treats.

Get Jackie Mertens "Sound Beginings" and watch it once a week for the next month or 2. Or other pup DVD...

Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Like others have said enjoy the pup. Keep it all fun. Hillman is a nice way to start training. Keep in touch with the breeders they may help out from time to time. Make sure to get in a puppy class. This will help with socialization skills and help you stay pack leader. The more people and dogs that she can interact with over the next year the better. I have two Chessies both are friendly dogs. But I know of a few that did not get much socialization and were allowed to take over the alpha role and it was not pretty.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Oh yea every dog is different. don't use a watch for the training, Instead stop while she is still interested. This can make her want more and it is always better to end on a good note rather then making training no fun.

·
Registered
915 Posts
The name of the game for chessie pups is socialize, socialize, socialize! Take her everywhere with lots of different people. Let her get used to all sorts of things from big equipment jobsites to walks in the park but be careful about other dogs right now until she's had all her shots.

Chessies can be shy and can get what I call "growly" if not socialized with lots of people as puppies and the breed doesn't need that! Puppy classes are not for training but for socialization, lots of people and lots of dogs.

I too, am going through that phase as my new chessie pup is only 4 mo. I started retrieving in the hallway with a knotted sock or a small bumper. 2-3 retrieves are all I'd do and then I tease them with it a little and put it away. That keeps them wanting more. Their interest level is very short right now so keep any session short and loose and fun for the pup. Now the game goes on outside at a local school or park. I do 4-5 retrieves as far as I can throw the bumper and then it's just romp and have fun.

BHB

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Nick, she is 11 weeks old ! a baby ! I think you may need to slow down patience! keep it FUN and POSITIVE for you pup.

Good luck and have fun.
Agree. Nick take a hike, literally.
Let your puppy enjoy, explore and experience. Let them enjoy being with you, let them walk with you across ditches, shallow streams, cover etc.Put obedience(not behavior they are different) on the self for a few weeks. CBRs, more than the others, need to like you. Then they decide if you are worth their effort.

Tim

·
Registered
224 Posts
What, your pup isn't marking triples very well yet?

Just take that pup everywhere with you for now, get in a puppy obedience class in a month or two, and then start with the retrieving stuff. You have to earn the trust.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts