RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a note from my vet suggesting we use Parastar Plus instead of Frontline. Haven't spoken with them yet to ask why the change, but does anyone have any experience with this product?? I'm inclined to stick with Frontline Plus - if it's not broken, etc. Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Frontline lost their patent, hence the reason you're starting to see these "generic" drugs pop up. If Frontline is/was working for you no reason the generic version won't all the while saving you some money.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I gave up on topical tick preventatives as they have not been working around here for years. I went with the Scalibor tick collar 2 years ago and have not seen a single imbedded tick on my dogs since. The collars are good for 6 months and the dogs can wear them swimming with no problems.

Dawn

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Tick collars from Scalobir

I gave up on topical tick preventatives as they have not been working around here for years. I went with the Scalibor tick collar 2 years ago and have not seen a single imbedded tick on my dogs since. The collars are good for 6 months and the dogs can wear them swimming with no problems.

Dawn
Dawn....where could I find these?
Diane

·
Registered
3,159 Posts

Dawn
Hi Dawn,

Have been using the Scalibor since late last summer and through this Spring with the best results yet. Any ticks that I did find were dead and flat..a couple on dog beds etc. No bites.

However, was advised by(highly regarded) repro vet not to use them (if breeding). The collar is not good for sperm quality. Do you happen to know anything about this?

Told to use Frontline Plus...realizing it is not the best..and not a collar to go with it, like Preventic.

Judy

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
What was explained to me was that makers of Frontline had their Patent run out on the main ingredient (Fipronil) originally developed by Merial. So now many other companies can manufacture the same product such as Parastar and Pet Armour etc.....and sell it for less than Frontline.

Frontline, Pet Armour and Parastar labels look like this below:

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS:
Fipronil..............................9.7%
INERT INGREDIENTS..... ...90.3%
TOTAL............................100.0%

Frontline would not move on cost..................so many Vets switching to Parastar product.
Is there a Pet Armour PLUS, or is it Pet Armour (no PLUS)? Pet Armour is about $25 for a packet of 3 for large dogs. Frontline Plus is about $35 for 3 packets for large dogs.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Frontline Top Spot = Parastar = Pet Armour. All three have the active ingredient fipronil, which only kills adult fleas and ticks. I have found in the southeast that is does not work as well for flea control, but may work better in areas where the flea burden and flea-supporting weather in not as significant.

Frontline Plus (fipronil + methoprene) - has the flea adulticide (fipronil) plus an insect growth regulator (basically flea birth-control). The manufacturers of Pet Armour and the like did have a Pet Armour Plus out there for a while, but the methoprene is still under patent by Merial so after a court battle the Pet Armour Plus was pulled from the market (though you may still see some out there). I have had better luck with Frontline Plus in warmer/humid climates with flea control than products with fipronil alone.

Parastar Plus has fipronil and cyphenothrin. Both kill the adult flea and tick. According to Novartis - the manufacturer - with the addition of the cyphenothrin it kills the adults faster and is effective for longer.

Hope this helps ---

Also I wrote an article on tick and tick control for hte CFHRC newsletter and am in the process of updating it for the PenVet Working Dog Center website. It should be up soon at www.pennvetwdc.org and on their site on Facebook.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Diane - you can get the Scalibor collars on line at Amazon.com

Judy - I haven't heard of any issues with this collar regards breeding dogs. The active ingredient stays in the lipid layer of the skin, so it doesn't go systemic. Not sure why or how that would affect sperm counts in males.

Dawn

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Thank you, Dawn. I had asked questions about heartworm meds and other, but forgot about the collar. So took packaging with me to appointment for collection/testing. Doctor asked me if I had a question about Scalibor when she saw it attached to his file folder. Told her about the time period he had been wearing it, was it ok... and she advised me as above. The office does sell Scalibor but have a sign up in their products area to not use on breeding animals.

Will ask my vet here in Falmouth because it certainly made the difference. Asked the front office when advised in MA but not my vet herself. So, will give a call tomorrow. We have been struggling with ticks again since not using it. Very frustrating. I certainly do not want my dogs ill from TBD for the sake of a puppy but ..... :(

Thanks again,

Judy

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I use saclibor too and would also like to know if it affects sperm count??

·
Registered
559 Posts
Diane - you can get the Scalibor collars on line at Amazon.com

Judy - I haven't heard of any issues with this collar regards breeding dogs. The active ingredient stays in the lipid layer of the skin, so it doesn't go systemic. Not sure why or how that would affect sperm counts in males.

Dawn
Dawn, can the collar be worn with water work as well?

Thanks,Freya

·
Registered
71 Posts
"I use saclibor too and would also like to know if it affects sperm count?? "

Arent you too old to be breeding?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Never to old Scott

·
Registered
924 Posts
Thinking of getting some Scalibor collars for my dogs. Those of you that have been using them, how are they working out? Do they work? Any side effects on the dogs?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
No problem. Dog has been breed no problem. Two litters on the ground right now.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
If you read the fine print on many of these topical flea/tick products, there is a warning not to use in breeding animals.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have been using Pet Armor with success due to the reduced cost
However Merial rep told me that the disbursement or carrier material (the inert ingredient) is different and the Frontline is better and ?? still under patent??. I do notice that the pet armor leaves a big white chalky mark on the dogs neck after application where the frontline leaves a nice greasy streak when dry. Dont know if there is in fact any difference in performance, or if that is just a sales pitch.

Mark

1 - 20 of 20 Posts