RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys my name is Jode I am new to the forum and somewhat new to formal training. I have trained a few dogs in the past just off of what I new, so this will be my first pup following a program. My pup is 11 weeks old his name is Jase (registered name: Lean Mean Jase) he is from a grandsir of Lean Mac. I have been using the Sound Beginnings training video to get him started then plan to transition into SmartWORKS around 6-7 months. I am sure that I will be asking questions on here so thanks ahead of time for your help! Also looking to see if there is a Pro in the South Georgia area!

Here's a pic of Jase after a section of training yesterday...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly never done any of it, I have only trained my retrievers in the past for hunting purposes. I am not saying this pup will be the next NAFC but if he has the drive I would like to make it a possibility! I am just above Valdosta.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Look at the size of those legs and paws!!! cute little bugger!

don't feel bad about asking questions here, even what you think is a dumb question (i've asked plenty and still ask them today). it's what a forum is designed for. the search functions help a lot. read as much as you can and just soak it in!

Welcome!

·
Registered
732 Posts
If you can look up Keith Farmer. Great guy. Runs a lot of derby's and quals. I'll pm you his number if you want. You can look him up on here if you want. He posts fairly frequently.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
You might want to join Tallahassee Hunting Retriever Club (AKC). They have their tests and training area in Thomasville.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts

Also looking to see if there is a Pro in the South Georgia area!

/QUOTE]

Good looking pup. And yes, he has some growing to do to catch up with those feet! :)

You might want to check Dan DeVos, Baypoint Kennels. You can google his web site. He spends winters in Eufaula, Alabama not far from you. He gets there around Thanksgiving and leaves when the snakes come out of the ground! The remainder of the year he is in Ontario.

JS

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Honestly never done any of it, I have only trained my retrievers in the past for hunting purposes. I am not saying this pup will be the next NAFC but if he has the drive I would like to make it a possibility! I am just above Valdosta.

are you anywhere near Camilla or Hopeful.....if so you are in one of the newer hotbeds of winter training grounds near Cairo...there is a FT there in the winter and a few A list pros now make their base of operations there

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
are you anywhere near Camilla or Hopeful.....if so you are in one of the newer hotbeds of winter training grounds near Cairo...there is a FT there in the winter and a few A list pros now make their base of operations there
Yeah both are about 45 minutes to an hour away from me! I plan on going to the FT this year to see what it is all about!

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Give my regards to Jimmy Carter if you see him there.

john

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Who has home base in Camilla/Hopeful?

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Nice puppy, have fun with him.
You could not live in a better place if you want to learn about retriever training. Some of the best trainers in the country winter in North Florida and South Georgia very close to you. The vast majority play the Field Trial game in the US and Canada. Many amateur trainers have custom training grounds all around the area. Pros and amateur training groups flock to these grounds in the winter. The lady who did your Sound Beginnings puppy video trained in Madison, FL for a long time.
Most of the retriever training properties are concentrated in these general areas: On Rt 53 from GA border down to Madison FL, Monticello FL, several places on either side of I-10 on the way to Tallahassee, either side of Rt 61 up to GA border, Boston, Thomasville, Cairo & Meigs GA have the most and there are several places between Thomasville and Albany GA. Come April through October most people pack up and move north to states closer to Canada. That’s where you want your dog to be in the summer if possible. Have fun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice puppy, have fun with him.
You could not live in a better place if you want to learn about retriever training. Some of the best trainers in the country winter in North Florida and South Georgia very close to you. The vast majority play the Field Trial game in the US and Canada. Many amateur trainers have custom training grounds all around the area. Pros and amateur training groups flock to these grounds in the winter. The lady who did your Sound Beginnings puppy video trained in Madison, FL for a long time.
Most of the retriever training properties are concentrated in these general areas: On Rt 53 from GA border down to Madison FL, Monticello FL, several places on either side of I-10 on the way to Tallahassee, either side of Rt 61 up to GA border, Boston, Thomasville, Cairo & Meigs GA have the most and there are several places between Thomasville and Albany GA. Come April through October most people pack up and move north to states closer to Canada. That’s where you want your dog to be in the summer if possible. Have fun.
Good deal maybe I can get in contact with a few to help me work with my puppy!

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
I have friends that are the owners of the Riverview Quail Plantation in Camilla (the Cox family)..I have played golf at the country club in Cairo, probably the closest I will ever get to playing at Augusta National

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I understand, but I thought you said a few A list pros have their home base there.

Beautiful plantations all over the place. Getting on them is the hard part.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
I understand, but I thought you said a few A list pros have their home base there.

Beautiful plantations all over the place. Getting on them is the hard part.
sorry for the misunderstanding, when the OP said he was near Valdosta,it just got me to thinking about Camilla...my best friend was married at the Plantation to one of the owners step daughters...with the field trial in Cairo , I figured that some A list pro was nearby,since a few well heeled clients have property in the area

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Call Mattison Dunaway. He is in Meigs and I am sure would let you come train with him. He mainly does some young dog work and hunting dog training. His dad owned 85 NFC Duke.

You should also get with Wayne Dobson, Ken Neil, and many others in the Thomasville area.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts