RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I was told that there are new hunting rules, i mean if you are hunting in a marsh some states have voted that you have to hunt with a train dog now.
If that is the case, i totally applause that fantastic decision.
Our Québec hunting federation have that request for the past 7 years now and nothing yet but if some states have voted in favor well it might look good for us eventually.

Is it thru?
If so, i wonder witch one it is?

·
Registered
893 Posts
I have heard of this somewhere in New York, I believe. Ill google it and see what i can find. Let ya know.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Who will be certifying that the dogs are trained?

I know we can't keep the government out of our dog training but I wonder how much I want them in it, if at all.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Any one can own a dog and say it is trained. If a dogs just sits its trained. Is the game warden going to send the dog on a retrieve and see if it picks up a duck.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I suspect there will be some type of "fee" involved.
Pay the fee, and you have a "trained" dog.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Why do they have the authority to control if someone hunts with a dog? What if one can't keep a dog where he/she lives? Then they cant hunt. That's idiotic. Should voters have to pass an IQ test before they vote? Should couples have to be evaluated before given permission to have a child?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is no perfect world indeed, but i do think it is a good start.
Of course it would have to be kinda certified by an organization or .........
Up here you have no idea how many birds are lost......

·
Registered
172 Posts
There is no perfect world indeed, but i do think it is a good start.
Of course it would have to be kinda certified by an organization or .........
Up here you have no idea how many birds are lost......

Birds are lost down here too. It gets to me every time I lose a bird. Whether I'm hunting with a dog or not, i hate losing them. Who's to say that a "trained" dog would be able to find some of those birds though?

I hunt a lot of flooded millet on public ground. If a bird gets in that, even my dogs have trouble finding them. Losing birds is just something that happens. I hate it too, but I'd hate to be required to have a dog with me. There could be an instance where having a dog with you is a safety hazard to the animal, or a situation where a spot is simply not reasonable to hunt with a dog.

What would the requirements be? I've seen many a "trained" retriever where I frequent, and truthfully I think that they're more of a hinderance to the hunting party and to other hunting parties.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Matt, from i heard it is in case if you hunt in a marsh not avery where.
Who is to say that we are required to hunt with a dog anyways? How bout the guy who hunts a marsh down the street but lives in an apartment?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Most of Québec retriever club have requested that to our gouverment under our hunting federation.
It could be a matter of places needed to hunt with train dog, not in a open water marsh.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Terrible idea IMO.
I agree. Keep goverment out of the mashes.

People sometimes loose deer after shooting them. Does that mean every deer hunter needs to have a dog that can find wounded deer?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Most of Québec retriever club have requested that to our gouverment under our hunting federation.
It could be a matter of places needed to hunt with train dog, not in a open water marsh.
I don't think one should hunt without a dog, but I don't think it is up to the government to say you have too. You want it north of the border you keep it up there. One more reason I don't hunt canada. No disrespect intened.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I suspect there will be some type of "fee" involved.
Pay the fee, and you have a "trained" dog.
There's the winner:D

I won't be able to find the rule but, I think I read somewhere (a LONG time ago)that you do need to have a way to retrieve any downed fowl. That can be hip boots, canoe, dog etc.etc... ie if you show up shooting ducks over a large deep lake with no way of picking them up Warden can write you up.

I can't remember if this was Pa. law or Federal.

Maybe Mike Tome will chime in on this topic???

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am from the goverment,I am here to help you. The next step will be, you cant hunt the marsh.

·
Registered
282 Posts
" Is the game warden going to send the dog on a retrieve and see if it picks up a duck."

I did that once. Watched a guy from a long way off during teal season kill a duck and hide it in the weeds. Knew it wasn't a teal but couldn't really identify it. When I finally reached the guy I asked what he hid in the weeds. His reply was of course, nothing. Said he went back there to relieve himself. The whole time his lab was bouncing back and forth in front of me. Asked him what his dog's name was. He said Otter. I looked at Otter and said "fetch". Otter pealed around on a dime like a dog on force to pile and came back with the duck.

Been at least 15 years and the guy still won't talk to me!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Why do they have the authority to control if someone hunts with a dog? What if one can't keep a dog where he/she lives? Then they cant hunt. That's idiotic. Should voters have to pass an IQ test before they vote? Should couples have to be evaluated before given permission to have a child?
Yes voters should have to pass an iq test. Also yes some people should be evaluated in order to have childern. If that was the case then prehaps the world would be better place than it is but this discussion is for different forum

1 - 20 of 50 Posts