RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is our new turn out pond area we just finished fencing in on Monday evening. Finally can let those guys out without having to yell for an hour over a lost dog :roll: (Not really that long but you get the idea)

Kennel

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Nice facility. Its a never ending process isn't it.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Amen

Amen!!!!!

Richard

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
runs

Abby are those runs coming out of your basement? Or is that a shed or something? Just wondering.

Aaron

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I'm not Abby, but look in the top pick and you can see the block building and the first kennel coming out of the back of it.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heaviest type of wire you can get at Menards. Not sure exactly what it is called.

·
Registered
275 Posts
New Kennel

Looks great!Got a run for Gator,if and when we come down for some training?Nice trailer also :?: /Frank and G

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Without being an idiot I hope I can just throw out some comments because the pictures really got me asking a lot of questions.

I'm curious why the dogs don't have any dog houses. It looks like the kennels are stacked back to back in the picture. They seem smaller than standard.

The pond looks too small to be a swimby pond, so I'm curious if it is just for the dogs to cool off in, but then they would be muddy all the time, or maybe it was just a fun sorta attempt at building a pond.

The overhang of the building doesn't cover the kennels. What is the building used for?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I am not sure, but I think there are doggie doors at the back of the kennels leading inside, thus alleviating the need for a dog house.

tt

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DL said:
Without being an idiot I hope I can just throw out some comments because the pictures really got me asking a lot of questions.

I'm curious why the dogs don't have any dog houses. It looks like the kennels are stacked back to back in the picture. They seem smaller than standard.

The pond looks too small to be a swimby pond, so I'm curious if it is just for the dogs to cool off in, but then they would be muddy all the time, or maybe it was just a fun sorta attempt at building a pond.

The overhang of the building doesn't cover the kennels. What is the building used for?
You are not being an idiot, just someone who wants some answers to his questions. :wink:

Yes, the dogs have dog houses. If you look closely in the closer kennels, beside the wall there is a metal door. That opens up into a 3 wide-4 deep dog box, fitted horse stall mats on the floor of that. Work really well as far as keeping it nice and dry in there. Picture attached of the inside walkway and boxes(excuse the mess, haven't finished it down there yet) Also, the heat lamps just have regular light bulbs in them :wink:

As for the pond, it is actually a little bigger than it appears. Not overly big though, but that is the way we had planned it as it is just a turn out pond. It is good for teaching a dog to run straight lines from the ends.
Here is a finished product of the turn out area, now with sand. You can also see the width of it.(And we have put some sand in it now so it is a little cleaner)

A picture of the turnout area from the kennels........

The overhang actually gives the dogs a surprising amount of shade. In the early to late afternoon times, the entire kennel runs are shaded. And when it rains, the part under the overhang is pretty well dry unless the wind blows the rain back under.

Also, you can see both our regular training ponds here, just finished leveling off around the ponds yesterday so it looks a lot better! :D The far pond is actually around 10 acres and is nesting grounds to 40 - 50 geese. They fly between the barn and the woods about every evening. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Am envious of both ponds. live in subdivision They would probably frown or kick us out if I dug up my back yard for a pond.

pkg

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
PKG,

Is there a better way to motivate you to start house shopping.

Dig away regards.

tt

1 - 15 of 15 Posts