RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I just brought our new puppy home. He is a 7 1/2 week old male chocolate lab. He comes from a really good line of dogs. We brought him home this past Friday (June 1st). We are experiencing the phase we knew was coming. The chewing phase. We have him a half a dozen different squeeky toys and chew toys. He likes to play and chew on them but with his attention span so short he will be chewing on one and roll over and start trying to chew on something else he shouldnt be chewing on. What is the best way to teach a puppy that he shouldnt do that? Ive got Rick Stawskis fowl dogs video that i will be using for the pup when he gets of age and i see Rick use the ear pinch method. Should i use this for the pup? This is the first pup i have started myself so im just a little unsure on what i can/should do. Especially at his age. Thanks

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Lots of chew toys like you have....crate when not supervised. Don't worry about ear pinch or FF yet as it is 4-5 months away. Let the pup be a pup. Let him explore the outdoors, woods, etc. with leash or check cord. Most of all have fun with pup at this age as they grow up way too quick! Best of luck with your new addition!

Chris

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
When he rolls over to chew on something else get his attention and toss the toy to start the retrieve game,like you said they have a short attention span so when he chews change his thoughts from chewing to fetching.
sometimes to many toys give him to many options ,find one or two toys and get rid of the rest. If he has 6 toys that he is allowed to chew on he thinks that he can chew on anything.
The chew phase lasts forever! Good luck

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Chris and Shawn, thanks for the insightful replies. We have been keeping him in the laundry room with a baby door. He whines and cries like no other as soon as you put him in there and head to bed. We have a metal crate that collapses that the friends we bought him from loaned us. It is about 2ft square. Should we start putting him in there at night instead of the laundry room? I havent yet because i wasnt sure if it was too small for him?

About the whimpering and barking at night. We expected this so its not AS bad but it sure is aggravating! I will admit the first 2 nights we had him when he did it, i got up and brought him on the sofa with me so he would hush. Ive decided im not doing that anymore that im going to leave him in there no matter what unless i take him outside to use the bathroom. Is it safe to think after a while of making him stay there it will "break" him and he will quit the whimpering?

Chris, that is a beautiful dog you have in your picture.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I would put him in the crate at night, as well as off and on during the day. Crate training is vey helpful.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Bnew,

Get him in the crate, he will cry and whine for a couple of days but just let him be! Soon that will be his happy place! Make sure he get's out to do his business, usually about every 4 hrs max and praise him when he goes!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Bnew - first congrats on your new addition. Like you I recently acquired a male chocolate lab so I know the pains you're going to go thru; he's my first pup also. Definitely crate the pup when you cannot watch or when it's time for bed. A couple of tips that helped him get used to the crate were the following: 1) Feed him in the crate; this helped out the most. 2) Play with him using the crate. Throw a toy or treat into the crate and let him go in and out as he wishes. 3) No matter what, do not let him out of the crate until he's stopped whining for several minutes. If you don't, he'll know that whining means he'll get out. I know it's painful to hear him but it's for the best. Best of luck with the puppy.

David

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Chris and Shawn, thanks for the insightful replies. We have been keeping him in the laundry room with a baby door. He whines and cries like no other as soon as you put him in there and head to bed. We have a metal crate that collapses that the friends we bought him from loaned us. It is about 2ft square. Should we start putting him in there at night instead of the laundry room? I havent yet because i wasnt sure if it was too small for him?

About the whimpering and barking at night. We expected this so its not AS bad but it sure is aggravating! I will admit the first 2 nights we had him when he did it, i got up and brought him on the sofa with me so he would hush. Ive decided im not doing that anymore that im going to leave him in there no matter what unless i take him outside to use the bathroom. Is it safe to think after a while of making him stay there it will "break" him and he will quit the whimpering?

Chris, that is a beautiful dog you have in your picture.

Start small with the crate, you dont want room for alot of play room,feed him the for awhile in it with the door open,also you can try putting him in there when he is asleep on the floor or somewhere else give him a liitle pet on the head until he lays his head down .if you have kids its the same as when they where little they fall asleep in your arms then you take them to bed and have to kinda get them back to sleep, you want to make the crate a place of security not punishment.When you start crating him do it for a short time(hour maybe)then work your way up.If he has to much room he will go potty in the corner and be able to get away from it instead having to deal with it.(he's little dont expect him to hold it for hours). If he continues to whine ,turn a radio on ,it seems to break the silence and give their mind something to focus on. If you try to put him there when he is wound up he will resist, remember its crate training. I'm not a big treat trainer but if you throw a treat in the crate and say kennel or whatever you want to use as a que soon he will see a treat in your hand and go in the crate and wait for his reward.
Evertime you let him out of the crate take him directly out side to air .
Have fun he's just a puppy,but it is training none the less.

·
Registered
792 Posts
i have not and will not use squeaky toys or any other "toy" etc other than his sleeping buddy a stuffed lion. i just use a nylabone. when he chews something he's not supposed to say "no" and replace with a nylabone. after a few weeks i start using the jowl hold where i hold his snout with my hand squeezing and say "no" replacing with a nylabone then a few weeks later (present day) i have incorporated the jowl pinch where i will fold his jowl into his mouth and squeeze while saying no and replace with nylabone. he is pretty much chew free except nylabones which is the point i was going for. i do the same thing with biting. also i do not throw or have him retrieve anything except his training bumpers.

all this came from the training material i'm using

1 - 9 of 9 Posts