RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! First time poster here. I own two goldens that are home companions. Never hunted, but the female is more of a natural hunter and has the best nose on her than our previous four goldens. Anyway, we moved out to the country about a year ago and have 16 acres of virgin prairie mixed with some woodlands. Our dogs have always been on a leash when living in town and we would now like the dogs to be able to run off leash while we are outside on our prairie with them. We are very fearful of taking them off leash now because sometimes they will not come back to our call and take off. It has caused a ton of stress with my wife and so I am beginning my search for some electronic collars for them. I thought this forum would be a good start with it being a retriever forum. Can you please make some suggestions for an electronic collar for the dogs. I am not concerned about the price, but am interested in buying one of the best with a good range on them as well. Thanks very much for your help. Someday perhaps, they will breed a variation of the golden that doesn't shed so much. We have a dyson DC-17 animal which is a lifesaver and go through tons of clear wide strapping tape for our clothes, but it's all worth it for our goldens. They live a good life!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Photogman. The E-collar is not the answer- it is a training tool not a training program. You need to train the dogs to come using "sit-stay-come" drills and a leash, then progress to a longer rope. Teach the dogs to come using patience repetition and persistence. The e-collar is a tool to use after they already understand the command and are obeying under normal circumstances. Before you put the collar on a dog get the Tritronics training manual or Graham's ( I think thats the name) "Smartworks" book- both have good programs on conditioning the dog to the collar and using it for training. Collars are expensive but get quality. My first Dogtra collar was junk- I ended up with a multi dog Tritronics which is still going strong after 7 years. PLEASE don't put a collar on your dog without doing the prep work- you'll confuse and scare it without achieving what you want. Hope this helps- Phil

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Been there done that. I have went through obedience training with both dogs. Both dogs are certified visitation dogs with hospitals, nursing homes, libraries w/children etc. I need a good recommendation for a collar. I am not the type that would use a collar to punish. That is not what they are for. It should be used as a teaching tool. But thanks for your response anyway.

Also, under the best of circumstances and training, even dogs with advanced obedience training skills are still succeptable to not heeding a command at one time or another. And you never want that one time to be fatal for a pet, especially in town around traffic.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Click the Tritronics banner at the top of this page. They have multiple two-dog models in varying ranges. TT is very good.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I did a search. Found:

http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80542&highlight=which+collar

http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?t=79493&highlight=eCollar

http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?t=68472&highlight=eCollar

There should be lots, but I couldn't figure out how to narrow the search.

Here's some more:

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...light=ecollars

The "Field Series TT's," 90 or up would be a good choice, but my favorite is a Dogtra 1800, similar to the 90's features, simpler controls.
(Mine are 7 and 8 yrs old with new batteries @ 6 & 7 and a repair on one a 7.)

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
Been there done that. I have went through obedience training with both dogs. Both dogs are certified visitation dogs with hospitals, nursing homes, libraries w/children etc. I need a good recommendation for a collar. I am not the type that would use a collar to punish. That is not what they are for. It should be used as a teaching tool. But thanks for your response anyway.

Also, under the best of circumstances and training, even dogs with advanced obedience training skills are still succeptable to not heeding a command at one time or another. And you never want that one time to be fatal for a pet, especially in town around traffic.
Photogman,

Welcome to RTF. I sent you a private message.

Even though your dogs have been taught obedience on a lead, you will serve your dogs well to spend a little time doing some "collar conditioning".

If you just call them "here" and push a button, you could get any range of responses. Eventually you can use the collar just like an infinitely long leash, that won't wrap around trees.

But unlike a leash, you cannot physically pull your dog towards you when you are calling him if you push the button. So you first need to give your dog some exposure to the use of the collar in a controlled, fair, gradual series of sessions.

These sessions, known as "collar conditioning" are what will help your dog associate the stimulation from the e-collar use, with the desired (trained) response.

Please see your private messages.

Welcome to RTF.

Chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found this one and visited with a dealer on the phone. Seems to be a nice one with good features and reliable track record.

SportsDog 1825

I haven't achieved the 5 post intro so I can't post the url.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info, Chris. Yeah, I definitely know there is a learning curve for the trainer. Until I fully understand the collar and watch the video a few times, then, and then only will I introduce my dog to the collar. My goldens aren't field goldens, they are show goldens. My bitch, her sire was the #1 show golden in the country at one time. They both came from Shorlinegoldens dot com. Both great dogs. I would not screw them up by making mistakes with a collar.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Photogman, I'd suggest the Tri Tronics collars before the Sportdog. I've had several Sportdog collars and none of them have lasted. I've had some Tri Tronics collars that haven't lasted to long either but I've gotten a couple years out of all of them and the newer ones I'm using now are 3 and 4 years old. They've gotten better over the years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sport Basic G3 EXP....after visiting with the rep and comparing various models to me and my intended usage, we settled on this one. I told him money wasn't an issue, but he didn't try to sell me up. He settled on what he felt would work best for me and I felt pretty good. I went out on the internet at various sites and checked it out and didn't find any major complaints with the exception of the occasional hard to please customer or someone that didn't use the collar as intended and was upset that it couldn't locate buried gold.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.