RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!

I've been a member on this forum for a short while but have never posted so I just wanted to introduce myself in case I do. I am a 2nd (almost 3rd) year veterinary student at Texas A&M. I have a French brittany (4 year old) and a NSDTR (11 mo old). My French brittany was my first hunting dog and I trained him through force fetch and handling. Last summer, I bought my toller because I wanted a small retriever that fit my hunting style (a lot out of a kayak) and could tolerate the water and cold that my brittany couldn't. After a lot of research, I decided on a toller, and I couldn't be happier with my choice. I duck hunted with him and he retrieved over 75 ducks in all different kinds of conditions as just a pup. I've been fortunate as he has avoided all the common complaints with tollers - water shy, low drive, stubborn. In fact, he seems to train more like a lab than anything else. Shortly after getting him, I decided I wanted to train him for hunt tests, and to say I am hooked is an understatement. After 4 straight passes, he got his JH title back in March at only 9 months old. We are currently training with the goal of SH tests in the fall. I am still very new to all of this so this forum has been great for answering questions; the search tool is like having your own personal Q&A with hundreds of trainers. Anyways, I know that's a lot, but I just wanted to introduce myself and say a little about my dogs and I. Thanks!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Welcome, you seem to be just what this Forum was started for, I hope to see your progress posts as you go forward with your senior testing and hunting

·
Registered
165 Posts
Welcome to RTF. I used to play a lot ball in the College Station/Bryan, TX area. I have a 14 month old BLM (Shaq pup), from a TX kennel (Webfoot), running Senior and Finished now. Maybe our paths will cross. Good luck and cool dog.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
thats all we need is another Aggie...j/k obviously TAMU is very prominent in my family history and not because of a Nov. football game...Congrats on your success, your choice of schools and Welcome to the RTF

Did you hear about the Aggie________________ (insert joke here)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Welcome to RTF and congrats on the JH and good luck with the SH title

·
Registered
185 Posts
New guy here as well and have to say J.Q , I thought I was a one of a kind but you proved me wrong.

I also have a 3 YEAR OLD FRENCH BRITTANY and my 11 month old NSDTR will finish her last two hunt tests for her junior title in Northrup TX this weekend. Would have been a month sooner but she came into season so had to scratch some tests the last month. You might have seen her run in College Station earlier in the year. That was her first test. My handler is Sally if you run into her at Northrup, tell her Ron told you to say hi.

You have great taste in dogs :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Welcome aboard.

I'm an Aggie myself. I remember seeing you at the Brazosport and Waterloo hunt tests in March. I was the tall guy with the little black spark plug.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Heck, this place is pretty dang tolerant. Aggies are welcome. :p

Welcome, have fun.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Welcome aboard !!! RTF is the best forum on the Net ........

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
New guy here as well and have to say J.Q , I thought I was a one of a kind but you proved me wrong.

I also have a 3 YEAR OLD FRENCH BRITTANY and my 11 month old NSDTR will finish her last two hunt tests for her junior title in Northrup TX this weekend. Would have been a month sooner but she came into season so had to scratch some tests the last month. You might have seen her run in College Station earlier in the year. That was her first test. My handler is Sally if you run into her at Northrup, tell her Ron told you to say hi.

You have great taste in dogs :)
That's a pretty crazy coincidence. I do remember seeing your dog run at College Station (her name is Zoom, right?). She is a nice looking dog and ran really well that weekend. I talked to Sally some there at that test and again at another. She seems like a good trainer. Good luck to Zoom this weekend at Northrup!

I just wanted to thank everyone for the warm welcome! It's by far the most helpful forum that I have seen, and I look forward to being an active member. Best of luck to everyone and their dogs the rest of this spring!

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Heck, this place is pretty dang tolerant. Aggies are welcome. :p

Welcome, have fun.

they let just about anybody in this place anymore....:)

Welcome aboard.....

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Howard, I'll bet that there are Aggies in Alaska too. We're everywhere. Bon, do you know what most "teasips" call Aggies? Boss. I am TAMU Class '62.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts