RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
just looking to connect with fellow hunters/trainers in the West Texas area. I am on my third dog, first being a disaster and second being a gem. The third is on track to be somethin special but i am running into a problem i havent had before with mine or the dogs i have helped my uncle train: she is less fired up about the dummy and when i get her excited she retrieves it about 50% of the time and never with good for, (usually by an end).
Background: 11wk female, just retrieving dummies with fun informal tosses, knows sit, stay, come, kennel, heel, no, her name, drop (in progress) and as soon as she takes to the dummies i will teach hold.
She also has a biting problem ive been working through, but hoping the two arent connected.
Thanks, look forward to the feedback
Matt

·
Registered
408 Posts
I would say to only throw 2-3 retrieves in a session, and get her super excited about it. She is still young, so just have fun with it for now. I know I went through the same thing with my girl.

Mark

P.S. Welcome

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not yet Ken, i have been unable to reach anyone listed by email in Amarillo or Lubbock TX, thought i might connect with a few West TX guys possibly through the forum.
thanks for the welcome!

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
Too much too soon. Why are you trying to teach drop when she is retrieving only 50% iof the time? How many times do you throw the dummy in a row?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Too much too soon. Why are you trying to teach drop when she is retrieving only 50% iof the time? How many times do you throw the dummy in a row?
I have been using the drop command when we have some 'playtime' with a knotted rope or tennis ball. No tug of war, obviously, but i also dont want her to think she can chew everything she brings back. Playtime is a handful of retrieves a few times a day. Training, we throw some fun bumpers about 4 times, twice a day, before she starts to lose interest. She is improving though, she retrieves the 3-4 and i end on a good note and review the basics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts