RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have a new pup coming in two weeks, probably female. Current dog Vince is almost 6 years old. He's my best bud and we do everything together. He's been my "one and only". He's a house dog and has bed and couch privileges. He has other dog friends and gets along with most friendly grown females or neutered males. He does NOT like any dog climbing on him. He's a bit aloof and likes his space. He doesn't care to be closely inspected, especially around the face. I am fully prepared to keep the two separated as long as it takes, but they will still have to live in the same house and I will have to spend time with the pup. They will never be left together unattended. Even when attended, it will be very guarded. Both have crates and Vince has been sleeping in his crate lately. I have X-Pens for the pup inside and outside. I have cardboard over the sliding door windows so when I'm playing with pup, Vince can be on the other side and not see. All of these things are in place now so he doesn’t associate the changes with the new pup (hopefully). I'm very nervous about his reaction to the pup and want to do everything I can for him to accept the new addition. I know I must always give attention to him first and pup second. I know it will be a slow process.

From a dog psychology point of view, how best to deal with what humans call jealousy? I don't want to correct Vince in a way that would cause him to resent the new addition. I must find the proper way to teach him what acceptable behavior is. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm interesed in hearing from anyone, but especially those who have a dog with a similar personality and have gone from one dog to two.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I think you are way over thinking this. The older dog will lay down some rules and the pup will figure it out.

However when you bring the pup home don't just come in the door and suprise Vince with his new little buddy. Bring the older dog out side and let the pup meet him there, then bring them through the front door allowing the older dog to lead the way.

Bert

·
Registered
977 Posts
I agree about the overthinking, but it's good that you're thinking about it and planning. I'd suggest calling Vince's breeder for advice, I bet they are familiar with the situation. My own opinion would be to limit their time together in the beginning until you see how Vince actually responds. He might surprise you. Let them meet in the most neutral place available, given the age of the new pup. Maybe the front yard?

BTW, love your website, Vince is a handsome and capable boy.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I like to introduce older dogs to pups under very controlled circumstances.Pup in a crate and let older dogs sniff etc.Check reactions then proceed cautiously by getting pup out of the crate and holding it and letting the older dog sniff etc.One snap and your pup could get hurt.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how your bachelor dog will adjust to having the new addition. Yeah, there's going to be an adjustment period, but IMO, most dogs really benefit from the social interaction of a house-mate.

·
Registered
409 Posts
First question I have is WHY a new pup? You have a great dog now... do you have time a energy for a new pup?
One thing for sure with 2 dogs. YOU must teach your older dog to accept your time with the pup and learn to down stay when your showing affection to the pup.

I would certainly introduce both dogs in a neutral location NOT on your property for the first meeting. Pup in crate for a few minutes. Your male on lead at all times. I would read articles on Cesar Millan The Dog Whisperer web site for more info. He has some very good techniques for introducing dogs.
http://www.cesarsway.com/
Click Behavior in the blue bar.

If you stay calm and don't over react it should be fine.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I just brought a new pup into a 3 dog situation and you need to set/teach some ground rules for the pup and the older dog. Do not let play get out of hand, intervene before someone gets too rough. Keep both on a leash during the first into. so that you can take charge if necessary and avoid a situation. An older dog can severely injure a pup if they are too rough and a pup can be a nuisance with those sharp teeth.

Careful with the bed and couch situation as those are privileged spots in the hierarchy. I had one incident and it involved food (resource), this is an area to watch. If you current dog is not dominant (needs his space could be a signal), and not the standard cool lab that deals well with any annoyance, you should have no issues but if he shows some dominance you need to control the situation until they establish some ground rules. Also an adult dog attacking a pup is unacceptable. Attacking is not a suttle growl or a repect nip, but a fight that causes injury. Becareful around food, toys, and other resources such as the bed or couch.

All my dogs are indoor dogs.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have no advise here because I have had only one dog but good luck with it!! I think that most times the dogs work it out on their own and some interjection on your part will be necessary , hopefully this will happen without any aggression...

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I don't believe you are over thinking it at all. My vet tells me that at least once a year a puppy is brought into his clinic after being injured or killed by an adult dog.

When I bring a new puppy into the house, I manage the situation so that there is zero possibility of an adult dog having a chance to inflict any damage on the puppy. I keep them separated by crates or by putting them in separate rooms or in an x-pen.

In the blink of an eye, an adult dog can easily maim or kill a baby puppy. I prefer to keep them separate until the pup is in the 14 to 16 week old range.

Why take a chance?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I'm not overthinking it, just being prepared. I know Vince and he's not going to like this. Vince really isn't the outwardly dominant type. He doesn't care as long as the other dog doesn't pull the dominance card. But if so, he will not back down. At the same time, he does not like to be annoyed. Thanks also for the advice on the privileged spots, couch and bed.

They will meet at a friend's property and we'll spend lots of time there. I like the "meet in a crate" idea, thanks. When I eventually get to the point of letting them interact, I'll make sure the pup is worn out from play so she'll be less likely to be obnoxious.

The "laying down the rules" is really the advice I'm seeking. If Vince shows any unacceptable behavior, how do I correct without causing Vince to feel "dethroned" by the pup? How do I correct the pup for annoying Vince that will both teach the pup and show Vince that I'm responsible for correcting the pup; "It's my pup, not yours". I know they have to work out the dog thing on their own, but that can only come after I'm sure he has accepted the pup (and he won't get rid of the pup himself).

Again, thanks for the replies. Hoping to hear more comments.

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
Here is the way I did it. When little pup comes home he gets comfortable with his crate and the house situation without ANY interaction with the older dog or dogs. After almost a week, I let one of the older dogs in the same room. (pup still in crate) and they make introductions through the door. Then we take how ever long it takes for them to get used to the situation. When we first go out together, both pup and older dog are on lead and we go for a fun, no stress walk. When there is a degree of easiness between the two I let them touch noses and sniff each other, still on leads. It was a good 4 or 5 weeks before they were ever loose together and then when we were walking and exploring. I never had a problem with either of my older dogs hurting pup. They taught him the "rules" and "respect" gently. Now when pup hits 15 months or so, be careful. He will try to assert himself. Just be vigilant on correcting any rudeness from pup or older dog. Now that all are mature, I know who can hang with who and for how long. I still never leave them loose together alone. Only when I am with them. Just be cool, careful and watchful. They are dogs and will work out just fine. Have fun!!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Carol. I don't have a place big enough to keep them totally separated like you did. I'll adapt as much as I can. Pup's crate will be somewhere that Vince doesn't have access to when I'm not there, but there's no hiding the fact that there's a pup in the house. Thank you!

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
Thanks Carol. I don't have a place big enough to keep them totally separated like you did. I'll adapt as much as I can. Pup's crate will be somewhere that Vince doesn't have access to when I'm not there, but there's no hiding the fact that there's a pup in the house. Thank you!
LOL! At the time we brought pup home we were living in a 26' travel trailer on an abandoned farm. We kept the big dogs in their crates/kennels outside of the trailer except when we brought them in to sleep on the couch and bed. It can be done!

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Years ago, I had a pup owner who had Shar-peis. I knew there was a bitch that wasn't great tempered, but she was old and so it wasn't that tough to keep her separate. The male was fine. I was appalled to learn that the Lab had not met the Shar-peis at some 5mos yet! I insisted, and when they did, all went just fine and they were asking themselves why they hadn't done that earlier.

Your puppy is going to do a lot of sleeping, so take advantage of her crate time and use it for training or other one on one time w/ Vince. There really should be no problem there. In fact, my older ones LOVE when I have puppies here because they know there are far more treats involved!!!! I've had the gramma grump thing here but it's all grumble, nothing else (same girl loves baby babies though...). Just monitor the situation, read body language and go from there. Make the new puppy lots of fun for Vince and very rewarding and he should do just fine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks!! All of this is great to hear. There will be lots of treats for Vince for proper behavior. Luckily he's very food motivated, so I will use that to my advantage. I appreciate the support!

Years ago, I had a pup owner who had Shar-peis. I knew there was a bitch that wasn't great tempered, but she was old and so it wasn't that tough to keep her separate. The male was fine. I was appalled to learn that the Lab had not met the Shar-peis at some 5mos yet! I insisted, and when they did, all went just fine and they were asking themselves why they hadn't done that earlier.

Your puppy is going to do a lot of sleeping, so take advantage of her crate time and use it for training or other one on one time w/ Vince. There really should be no problem there. In fact, my older ones LOVE when I have puppies here because they know there are far more treats involved!!!! I've had the gramma grump thing here but it's all grumble, nothing else (same girl loves baby babies though...). Just monitor the situation, read body language and go from there. Make the new puppy lots of fun for Vince and very rewarding and he should do just fine.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Given your description of Vince, I don't think you're overthinking it and I do think you should be prepared (except I don't understand about covering up the window or door or whatever so he can't see pup). My old male didn't like pups jumping in his face. He ignored them otherwise and once they grew up, past 6 months or so, it was fine, but he could not be trusted around a puppy that annoyed him, and I haven't met too many Lab pups that don't bounce around and try to get another dog to play. Some serious damage can happen in the blink of an eye. Intact males aren't always patient.

As well, because I want pup to bond with me vs getting overly attached to other dogs, I keep mine pretty separate, within reason, the first few months minimum. My 15 week old still has not had loose playtime with any of the adults. I have an xpen in the living room and he hangs out in there, the big dogs lick and sniff him over the sides now that he's tall enough to stand up and hang his head over. He sleeps in a crate in the bedroom with the big dogs loose as usual. He's fine with it and is very bonded to me. When we go out with the big dogs to air, he's on lead, which is a twofer, some training on lead and socializing safely. When I want him loose, I put the big dogs away in bedrooms. With you having only one other dog, should be easy enough to just crate them separately and each have their own time loose with you. Walk pup on lead when you go out with Vince, that will give him the chance to sniff pup if he cares to and you can keep pup out of harm's way if it gets overly jumpy. Once pup is physically bigger and has some manners and OB is when I introduce supervised playtimes.

As far as correcting, I don't really give a rat's butt what dog's feelings I hurt, if someone growls or postures at another dog in my house, they're going to get in trouble with me and sent to their "place". Might not be what the dog behaviorists would suggest, but this many intact females living together in my house, we haven't had a real dogfight in years. There's one I have to keep my eye on, but otherwise, they're pretty well-adjusted.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kim, thank you very much. That is what I was looking for. The reason for the cardboard on the windows; it will keep him from fixating on the pup and me playing. What he doesn't see won't influence him. You (and others here) have confirmed what I envisioned for the first few months; separation. At least now I know that what I was thinking is right. I'm still anxious about this, but now I'm confident about what I have to do.

Thank you all again and I welcome any more comments.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts