RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She will be a late bloomer or ill have to try something else. This is my first try at training.

I cant get her excited, not for lack of trying. She will pick up the small puppy bumper, but only gets excited about a toy in the house with a squeeker.

She is walking on the lead well, and getting the idea with sit. I'm using hillmans. She has two other dogs to pester and she just loves that.

When i do finally get her excited she will pick up a couple throws. I try and work in some obedience while trying to keep her spirits up. My sessions are under 5 min and end up mostly being a walk off lead.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
You've had her what, 2 weeks? She's a puppy, they don't all fetch on a timeline. Possibly you are doing too much obedience stuff, maybe confusing her, possibly she's playing and having too much fun with the other dogs and you're just making it work and boring. Only play fetch with her when she's fully rested. Don't do anything else, don't mix in the obedience stuff yet, just pump her up about whatever toy, bumper, etc and toss it a couple feet down the hall, praise her like heck if she goes to it, try to encourage her to bring it back, make it very, very exciting, repeat a few times. If she doesn't pick it up, no big deal, try again the next day. It will happen. If she does pick it up and bring it back, lots of praise and excitment and don't throw more than a few times for now. If you're getting frustrated already, she's going to know it, so just relax and have fun with her, it isn't a race, if she's decently bred, she'll get into it eventually.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
I cant get her excited, not for lack of trying. She will pick up the small puppy bumper, but only gets excited about a toy in the house with a squeeker.
That's great-then let her chase the squeaky toy down a hallway. The first two weeks are adjustment to her new life away from the litter. She should be learning her name and bonding. You are trying to do too much too soon. Hillman is for a little bit older puppy. Just keep it light and fun. Have you got the lead on her when you are retrieving?

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
I don't understand the problem in using the toy with the squeaker on it to get the pup chasing stuff and building desire. What rule is there stating that the dog has to have desire to chase a bumper at this age? I use balls, puppy toys with squeakers, pheasant wings, whatever the pup has fun chasing. Nothing wrong with doing it in the house either. Outside there are lots of new things and distractions. Build desire in the house and eventually after the pup is exposed to enough outdoors and built enough excitement, it will transfer to outside.

And doesn't Hillman say not to worry about the pup picking stuff up and bringing it back? Just be happy with chasing, that is your start.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh im not getting frustrated at all. She is actually doing well i think.

Even while rested she doesnt go crazy.

I've worked her 3-4 times in the two weeks. Mainly on sit, walking on leash and using the bathroom outside. Other than that she has been a pup.

I expected her to be more hyper. Im sure it will come with age.

Like i said not frustrated at all. My post was not meant to sound that way.

·
Registered
7,268 Posts

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Don't worry about this. If this is your first time you don't need crazy plus this has nothing to do with what she will be later on.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Oh im not getting frustrated at all. She is actually doing well i think.

I've worked her 3-4 times in the two weeks. Mainly on sit, walking on leash and using the bathroom outside. Other than that she has been a pup.

I expected her to be more hyper. Im sure it will come with age.

Like i said not frustrated at all. My post was not meant to sound that way.
Have you.had her to the vet? I agree with the advice to let her grow up.
Regards
JT
WWW.marshawkreteivers.com

·
Registered
677 Posts
my pups love fuzzy paint rollers, (new ones) skim them agong the kitchen floor, when they bring them back dont take it right away, make a fuss with it in their mouth. keep the game short, then pup will be ready to go next time. play in an area where the dog has no exit but to come back to you. if only 6 or 7 feet thats ok. make it fun. take the roller away when not using you dont want to make a chew toy of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts