RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I finally picked our puppy up this weekend; he'll be 8 weeks old tomorrow. I'm following the Smartworks Puppy program and things thus far have been hit and miss. He's been outstanding when it comes to his verbal commands. I've started with SIT since I haven't installed a pole or the like to aid with performing the solo HERE commands. But when it comes to using the crate and such, he absolutely despises it. He'll whine for close to an hour before he'll finally fall asleep. I know it's only a couple of days but am curious how can I help the little guy out to like his kennel. The puppy program has the KENNEL command as being last, but I'm wondering if I should bump it up to get him to like being in his kennel so he doesn't permanently associate being in the kennel as a negative thing. What do you all think?

David

·
Registered
92 Posts
I feed mine in the kennel. This seems to be the best way I have found to create that positive association. She is lightning around the corner and right into the kennel when I come out with the food.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
from the time they are pups, my guys get a dog cookie when they go in the crate. My adults will run anything down between them and their crates thanks to cookies : )

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I feed mine in the kennel. This seems to be the best way I have found to create that positive association. She is lightning around the corner and right into the kennel when I come out with the food.
I've started doing that, but the second he's done with his meal he's whining like someone hurt him or something. I guess I'll just keep at it.

from the time they are pups, my guys get a dog cookie when they go in the crate. My adults will run anything down between them and their crates thanks to cookies : )
I'll start trying that as well. Any other suggestions?

David

·
Registered
227 Posts
A new puppy! Awesome that's one of my favorite things! Everything is so exciting and new, kinda scary, and strange..... and that's just the puppy's view... Remember the pup is just 8 weeks old, he's in a new environment and doesn't know what to make of it. I understand you have big plans form him and you've bought a GREAT training system and cant wait til he's a finished retriever, but let him be a puppy for now. Sit is great to work on, come is better, but keep the sessions short. As for the kennel training, he's used to sleeping in a warm, comfy pile of siblings, so a bare kennel can seem too lonely. I tell my puppy buyers to wear an old tee shirt the whole day they get the puppy and to put it in the crate with him or her over night ( I realize there is a chance of them shredding it, and swallowing but in a tiny pup I've never seen it) The shirt will smell like you and the pup will have started to think of you as SAFETY and COMFORT so your shirt will re-assure him, also a radio turned on low in the same room as the crate will help the pup from feeling alone in the world.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A new puppy! Awesome that's one of my favorite things! Everything is so exciting and new, kinda scary, and strange..... and that's just the puppy's view... Remember the pup is just 8 weeks old, he's in a new environment and doesn't know what to make of it. I understand you have big plans form him and you've bought a GREAT training system and cant wait til he's a finished retriever, but let him be a puppy for now. Sit is great to work on, come is better, but keep the sessions short. As for the kennel training, he's used to sleeping in a warm, comfy pile of siblings, so a bare kennel can seem too lonely. I tell my puppy buyers to wear an old tee shirt the whole day they get the puppy and to put it in the crate with him or her over night ( I realize there is a chance of them shredding it, and swallowing but in a tiny pup I've never seen it) The shirt will smell like you and the pup will have started to think of you as SAFETY and COMFORT so your shirt will re-assure him, also a radio turned on low in the same room as the crate will help the pup from feeling alone in the world.
Eli - That's a great suggestion about the t-shirt thing. I've got a ton of t-shirts so if he tears one up I couldn't care less especially if it helps him out.

installed a pole??
don't get too far ahead of yourself;-)
put a hot dog in your pocket

Ken - I've been using bits of hotdog for treat training; he loves them. As for the pole thing, it's basically used to hold the puppy in place till you use the HERE command like this video except for a puppy, no e-collar and I will be holding both ropes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BDM...DvjVQa1PpcFPMS0NZxEoomPkngRQMZGm6N0BUZ5YlAkk=

The other way Evan shows is to have someone hold him until you call him. The main thing for me is, I'm training him early while the wife is sleeping so the second option is a no go. And when with the hotdog pieces in my hand, the pup won't stay in a spot long enough for me to give him the HERE command. Make sense?

David

·
Registered
12,602 Posts
..........The other way Evan shows is to have someone hold him until you call him. The main thing for me is, I'm training him early while the wife is sleeping so the second option is a no go. And when with the hotdog pieces in my hand, the pup won't stay in a spot long enough for me to give him the HERE command. Make sense?

David

nope,
but I ain't a smart worker so grain of salt time for you.....;-)
I don't need a pup to be still to call it. I go out on the lawn
and let the pup roam off a bit and sniff a bush and call it to me.
It's an "I call you come" thing for me not a "You sit right there and I am about to call you to me" thing. Too much set up when rover is roaming to the road.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
This +1. My dog will flat run over you to get into his kennel.

Dumb question, but when he shows his displeasure at being in the crate do you react at all? If he gets anything from you at all you are probably inadvertently telling him that if he keeps it up long enough he'll get something out of it.

Also, you might consider in addition to a T-shirt that smells like you some sort of source of warmth (hot water bottle?) and some other objects to curl up against (old shoes?) while in there to more completely simulate the environment he just left with his litter mates.

To paraphrase, having a pup that age is the best of times, and it is the worst of times. But this too shall pass.

Good luck with your pup.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
This +1. My dog will flat run over you to get into his kennel.

Dumb question, but when he shows his displeasure at being in the crate do you react at all? If he gets anything from you at all you are probably inadvertently telling him that if he keeps it up long enough he'll get something out of it.

Also, you might consider in addition to a T-shirt that smells like you some sort of source of warmth (hot water bottle?) and some other objects to curl up against (old shoes?) while in there to more completely simulate the environment he just left with his litter mates.

To paraphrase, having a pup that age is the best of times, and it is the worst of times. But this too shall pass.

Good luck with your pup.
at 12.5 months I'm still waiting for it to pass, however I believe mine to be more of a separation anxiety issue.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
nope,
but I ain't a smart worker so grain of salt time for you.....;-)
I don't need a pup to be still to call it. I go out on the lawn
and let the pup roam off a bit and sniff a bush and call it to me.
It's an "I call you come" thing for me not a "You sit right there and I am about to call you to me" thing. Too much set up when rover is roaming to the road.

Exactly! And have a light check cord on the pup as well!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
at 12.5 months I'm still waiting for it to pass, however I believe mine to be more of a separation anxiety issue.
I'm lucky, I know. But if you had been in my shoes the first couple nights I had my pup home you would not have been able to foresee the quiet, crate-loving dog I now enjoy.

And yes, I know that since I said that he will wake me up at 2:30 in the morning.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have had great luck with the mentioned scented T-shirt. The best thing I ever used was an Old Ben alarm clock (Ancient windup style) tucked under their bedding. It simulates the mothers heartbeat. Works great for those first few nights alone for them.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My wife and I finally picked our puppy up this weekend.... He's been outstanding when it comes to his verbal commands...I haven't installed a pole ...
What's the pole for? Does the program involve airing of grievances? Feats of strength?

In a maximum of two days he is outstanding in more than one verbal command? Wow. That must be some program. I am impressed. A festivas miracle! :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
What's the pole for? Does the program involve airing of grievances? Feats of strength?

In a maximum of two days he is outstanding in more than one verbal command? Wow. That must be some program. I am impressed. A festivas miracle! :D
I think he is refering to evan grahams collar conditioning technique without the collar though. So the pup is held back with one rope around the pole and the person commanding the dog has a rope pulling the pup towards him. CC is a crucial step later on but as a pup I always believed in treat training works wonders heck Id do anything for food too :p.

·
Registered
977 Posts
When I have a new pup, I keep the kennel next to my bed at night, and I do mean RIGHT next to my bed. When they cry, I let my hand dangle beside the bed so pup knows he's not alone. It only takes a couple of nights before you can tell the difference between "I have to go OUTTTT" and I'm lonely. Most of them sleep through the night within a couple of days anyway, since they know I am right there. In the daytime, I just try to ignore it. Headphones help, LOL. Now that the weather is nice, you might try keeping pup in an outside kennel if you have one. Every little incident is a big deal when you first get your pup, but most of them figure it all out before too long. Our last pup is now 10 months old. Sometimes I forget how young she is, because she acts like a mature dog, and other times it seems like she was a baby just yesterday. Hang in there, you'll get there all too soon. Don't sweat the small stuff :)

·
Registered
883 Posts
Puppies are puppies for such a short time. Let them be puppies whole you can! Just wait until you have KIDS. They take forever and they never seem to leave home and then when they do, they take all of your good stuff. I can't complain though, I did it to my Dad. I guess it is a family tradition.

Please let him be a puppy for a month or two, puppyhood is such a short time, Bill

·
Registered
240 Posts
BUT DON'T FORGET TO FEED HIM IN THE CRATE, along with treats for going in when it's bedtime or nap time.

Also cover the crate so he can't see you. If they wake up and don't make eye contact, they fall back asleep easier.

Debbie T

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Take a look at Bill Hillman's Training a retriever Puppy.
Never any restraint or negatives.

My little guy slept in the bed for 2 nights.
Then in the crate beside the bed for about a week.
Now the crate is in the sunroom, he sleeps all night.
He is 11 weeks now and can stay out with the big dogs
for a couple of hours a day.

Good Luck and have fun.

Gregg

1 - 20 of 79 Posts