RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is my new puppy that I just picked up this past Sunday, he is 7 weeks old +2 days. He is a very quick learner, except when it comes to peeing in my house, which is to be expected. He already knows "Here" and has even impressed me by finding me in my house while I was hiding from him and calling "Here" !!! Not bad for a little guy!!
Tonight he also impressed me by bringing his tennis ball back to me three times when tossing it to him. I wasn't even expecting this to happen,nor was I trying to even play fetch, but he did it!!

In four nights and 9 hours in the car on the ride home, he has yet to potty in his crate. (Knock on wood.)

Few questions, let me know if this is correct:

I'm feeding him a handful of food three times a day.

I give him approx 1 cup of water with each meal and every two hours in between.

When I put him on a leash he doesn't like it, especially when I try walking him around my cul de sac. Any suggestions on how to leash train? And approx age to start? I have heard of people sitting in a chair and tying the leash to the chair and let the puppy fight off the leash...does this work?

When we go outside he runs back to the door and sits, waiting to go back inside..any idea how to cure this? I can go out in the yard and say here, he will run to me, get his treat and run back to the door and sit wanting to go back inside...

I was also curious about when you can start giving flea medicine sine I have heard that they are supposed to be horrible this year.

Does anybody use any sort of mosquito repellant on their dogs or is this not necessary?? My backyard is full!!!

And last but not least, HUMPING!! I took him to my aunts house tonight to play with their dogs and he loved them. He loved them so much he decided to hump one of the females...I thought at 7 weeks!?!?!?! What can you do to train the dog to not hump besides no??

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
Scroll down the page on the below link and it has very good instructions about feeding.
http://www.castilecreekkennels.com/puppies.html

I think the topical tick and flea med is for dogs 8 wks and older but check with your vet. Application dosage is by weight. Mosquitoes transmit heart worm disease. So, you need to get him on a heartworm preventive. These are prescription meds and he needs a heartworm test first. Again check with your vet about age to start.

Put a lead on him and just let him drag it around. He will get used to it. Make outside fun and he will want to go out.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
good lookin pup, nice pictures. i think i can see some smarts in those eyes! have fun!!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
That's a great looking pup Tazman7!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not an expert but i do have 2 Twelve week old Boykins and have owned the Dame to 7 litters of Chow Cows and 4 litters of American Pits so.....

1) Let him be a Pup....Hes not going to compete anywhere for a long time.

2) Concentrate on making him Love you...He hasnt been trained to di anything yet and cannot be held responsible for anything he does.

3) Work on these things...Get him comfortable with the words and actions and Praise Praise Praise.
a) Crate or Kennel
b) Sit
c) Here
d) Potty
e) His name
f) Leash

Have fun with him for a few weeks and work on the above....Buy or borrow Sound Beginnings, Smart Works Puppy and/or Hillsman.

Google Dog DVD Rentals...There are several DVD rental companies specifically renting dog training DVDs.

Beautiful Boy

Good Luck

Robert

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I have the smart works basic pack and puppy program that I will be following. The puppy program seems kind of bland, but I am still going to follow it obviously.

He already knows his name and here. We are currently working on kennel and potty and a little bit of sit, but not pushing it.

I have fed him in his crate a few times but it seems like everytime we go to his crate he thinks he is getting food now, so I dont do it everytime. I dont know if this is good or bad..

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
So after reading the link you posted I am supposed to give the pup as much as he can eat in 20 minutes???

That goes against everything I have read or been told..but maybe I have been told wrong..
I don't agree with much of what's on that link as far as feeding puppies, though I think you misunderstood some of it.

Basically, I feed three times a day til they're 12 weeks old or so. If people can't feed midday, no big deal to go to twice a day. I won't feed a puppy once a day, their requirements are different than an adult dog.

For a typical 7-8 week old Lab pup, about 1/2 cup three times a day of a QUALITY food has been a rule of thumb, some need more, some need less, how much was your breeder feeding? Increase with growth of pup and adjust based upon body condition of puppy, not weight, not the feeding guidelines on the bag, those are just guidelines. I don't want rapid growth, I don't want seriously fat puppies (after weaning). If pup doesn't eat all of a meal, I pick it up after 10-20 minutes, I think that's where you misunderstood eating all a pup wants in 20 minutes. Yes, puppies WILL overeat and can bloat. I don't free feed any of my dogs, I want to know how much they are eating, if they've stopped eating, etc.

If eating too fast is a concern, spread the kibble out on a baking sheet with large objects to eat around, or upside down muffin tin.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
cute looking pup. i miss the days when the tennis ball could barely fit into their mouth!!

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Might as well start now when you call him to you, make him sit a few seconds before treating him. Don't overwhelm him with to much right now. As far the leash goes put it on him and let him drag it around the house.
With the humping he's trying to show he's king chit of turd island, call your breeder and ask if he showed this with the litter mates, if he did you have a hand full with him wanting to be dominant.
Good luck and keep things simple and short and let him bond with you that way he learns to trust you and your commands.

Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The breeder has me feeding euk large breed puppy three times a day. Which seems reasonable but the little guy acts like he is starving!!!

I don't think I misunderstood what was in the link- here is a direct quote: . Give the puppy about 20 minutes to eat as much as wants. Make sure to increase the amount as he grows.

I've been putting one of his chew toys in his bowl to slow him down and it seems to work good

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
The breeder has me feeding euk large breed puppy three times a day. Which seems reasonable but the little guy acts like he is starving!!!

I don't think I misunderstood what was in the link- here is a direct quote: . Give the puppy about 20 minutes to eat as much as wants. Make sure to increase the amount as he grows.

I've been putting one of his chew toys in his bowl to slow him down and it seems to work good
By the whole paragraph leading up to that sentence, I took it to mean give the pup 20 minutes to eat as much as he wants of the meal he's given, presumably the measured amount. I don't know any breeder who tells people to let their pups eat as much as they want for 20 minutes. That sounds crazy, but I can see how someone would interpret that sentence. Acting starving is pretty normal, especially not long out of the litter. He's on a good food, if his body condition is good, then he's just being a greedy Lab pup, they'll sucker you into anything they can. ;-)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I see how it could be interpreted both ways.

I just wanted to make sure that I was giving him enough. He found his food storage container and tried chewing a hole through it so that got moved to inside of a closet.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Yeah I see how it could be interpreted both ways.

I just wanted to make sure that I was giving him enough. He found his food storage container and tried chewing a hole through it so that got moved to inside of a closet.
He doesn't look like a super big pup, but hard to tell from the pics. If you are using treats for training plus 1.5 cups of the Euk, he should be getting enough, but if you bump the food a little, just be wary of getting loose stools, increase a little by the day.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No he is pretty small, about 9 lbs. he does look like he has grown since I picked him up on Sunday :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts