RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
0609121334a.jpg

First I'd like to thank everybody for the PM's and responses to my questions over the last several months. The folks at RTF sure made my endeavor of finding a pup a lot easier and faster. I have not ran a field trial since the 1990"s and can't wait to get started.

RTF's very own MR. Atkinson knew what I was trying to do and was on the lookout for me. One day a few weeks ago I get a call. "Randy I think you need to talk to this lady"

The rest is history. Thank you, Chris

The pup I ended up with is sired by: Pirate. Nothing needs to be said there.

The dam is: QAA and MNH. Sired by FC Running With The Devil. Dams name: "Walensis' Devil's Food"

I have talked to several breeders in the last year. Some have stated that they would repeat one breeding or another that I liked but that would have set me back another 9 months to a year. So I decided to take the bird in the hand. If one of those breeding's does happen I guess I'll have two dogs to train:):).

The above pic was taken yesterday on the way home. 1300 miles round trip. She slept in my wife's arms all the way, no crying, no accidents. ( Yes we stopped to feed, water, and air)

For those that may want to know how I picked a puppy out of a litter that was 650 miles away?? It was easy.

I picked a breeding. I Wanted a chocolate female. There were two chocolates in the litter, one male, one female. Doesn't get much easier than that.

This is NOT a request for names. I'm trying to work in "Pirate" and "Devil" Thinking "Pirates She Devil" or "She Devil Pirate" call name "Calypso"

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
congratulations! this sounds like a very nice choice in breeding and she is beautiful. best of luck to you and pup!

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
Randy,

I guess it's time for me to write this on RTF. You were one of my mentors in the late 80s and early 90s when I got started with old Champ. I've been really thrilled to be able to reconnect with guys like yourself and Tom Stasierowski (another 80s/90s mentor of mine) via this website. In fact, I remember vividly when my buddy Scott Keeler wanted another pup to run along with "Ice" his Chessie. Tom had just bred one of his girls to your amazing old male "Gator". I strongly urged Scott to buy one of those pups.

More recently, Mike Tome and I both got littermate pups out of Joe Black. Oops..edit, by Joe Black. (Mike's new pup was to replace his deceased lab. Storm or Stormy, I believe was that dog - another of your former Pondview's - bred pups.

What was really crazy was that after we hung up, and you told me you wanted a choc female, "By Pirate"........... It was beyond coincidental that the very next phone conversation was with someone placing a puppy classified ad having some troubles. So I talked to her on the phone. This conversation started literally 30 seconds after you told me you wanted a chocolate female, Pirate daughter. She told me she had one.

So it was a no-brainer to suggest that you guys talk. The timing was almost beyond coincidental.

My forecast is that within the next year, you'll have another lab pup to spend time with your choc Pirate daughter.

Last year a buddy of mine got a Pirate daughter and I started having some fun with the callname. I'm as serious as a heart attack that if I personally got a Pirate pup, the callname would be "R".

Tom Durkin Saratoga clip (horse named "arrrr") (link)

I'd name my Pirate pup "R" (link)

Congratulations Randy and welcome back to the game. I hope to see Calypso's name in the Events forum, EE Results and Retriever News lists in the future! If not Calypso, at least one out of your pack.

Is the Pondview prefix possibly due for a comeback?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I think that is more like "divine intervention". That pup definitely belongs in your family. I'll be anxious to hear about updates along the way. Enjoy!

I may have to get a PIRATE pup just so I can name him "Arrrr". Love that call name.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I love these stories. Obviously that particular little girl was meant to be with you and your family. Things happen for a reason and she is a good lookin' little girl. Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
I love these stories. Obviously that particular little girl was meant to be with you and your family. Things happen for a reason and she is a good lookin' little girl. Good luck and enjoy.
It really was crazy. I literally hung up with Randy and then called someone who was having trouble posting on RTF and 30 seconds later, she's telling me that she has exactly what Randy just asked me to keep an eye out for.

Chris

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Chris,

Yes, "Pondview's" maybe on the come back. There Is a fellow in the northeast using that name now. ( I never registered it with the AKC) I have been in contact with him though..... We'll see what happens:)

As you know I sold my kennel and property a few years ago. However, I have talked to my wife and family... I may be adding 4 to 6 kennels/runs in the lower part of my new place and building a dog truck.

It may just be divine intervention. When I was younger my goal was to retire and train dogs full time. I'm not retired yet, but you never know. . lol.

When I started my quest for another field trial prospect (no matter how well bred they are. They are just a prospect until proven otherwise) I wanted a Chocolate male. After joining RTF and seeing how far the chocolate lines have come in the last several years I thought I would get a female. Just in case.

Wayne: I own "Somebody" By Pirate...... I'll let you know who when I know;)

P.S. Chris, I'm saving room for that "ONE" breeding.

PSS, My nick name was "R", maybe we call her "Arrrr"?????

Randy

·
Registered
675 Posts
It really was crazy. I literally hung up with Randy and then called someone who was having trouble posting on RTF and 30 seconds later, she's telling me that she has exactly what Randy just asked me to keep an eye out for.

Chris

Chris, from reading what you and the OP mentioned. It was obviously meant to be or someone has some awfully good "off the scale" luck. :) Regardless, I think it is fantastic

1 - 9 of 9 Posts