RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted upon request of Mr. Patrick Johndrow Chairman ("OkieDuck" here on RTF) of the new organization -

Note: "Redstar" - here on RTF is also a board member of the new group

Announcing Officially: The National Field Retriever Association

Here's the link to the website: National Field Retriever Association NFRA

Take a look! Running rules, bylaws, Board members and bios...and more! Nice job on the website Mr. Payne!

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
combsie said:
Being relatively new to RTF, is there any further info out on the new organization yet? Been looking around a little bit, but haven't seen any - unless of course I don't know what I'm looking for or I'm just that ignorant.
Combsie,

I'm not sure what your question is. The organization was just officially announced above. I don't believe any other place on the net is going to give you much more information today, than what's written here.

Please go to their website to get the information straight from the horse's mouth. I have a link above. The site is www.nfra.us . There is a wealth of information on that website - I'd venture to say you could tie up the next 3 hours or more reading all of the information there including complete bylaws and running rules.

We also have two board members that frequent this board and would be likely willing to address questions.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Note all: Redstar above IS on the board of the NFRA - he's one of your primary go-to guys to learn more.

It's all good!

Chris

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Why?

RedStar,

I can't find an answer to my question on your website -- "Why?"

Why a =new= organization?

What was your problem with the existing organizations?

Did you try to effect change in the existing organizations before starting another one? I know you are ex-NAHRA. But did you approach AKC and/or HRC?

In some ways I think it is easier to just start a new organization than to effect change in the original one. But the easy way is very rarely ever the more worthwhile way.

Thanks.

Kevin

·
Registered
55 Posts
Keith,

Bylaws have been written and approved by the Board of Directors. An electronic downloadable file similar to what we have provided for the Rules page was suppose to have been included on the website. Being to first day we have had the site up, I’m sure you’ll forgive a few bugs. We are working to get the bylaws posted as quickly as we can. Thanks for your patience.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The webmaster is likely out training dogs right now. It appears to be a minor glitch - nothing intentional.

Keith I HAVE electronic and hardcopies of the bylaws in hand. I can get you a set immediately, should you be interested. (Note, there may be a spelling error or two in them - this thing is hot off the press and spelling was not the primary concern. Content was.)

The bylaws do exist and were not intentionally left off the page.

Chris

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Why?

AmiableLabs said:
RedStar,

I can't find an answer to my question on your website -- "Why?"

Why a =new= organization?

What was your problem with the existing organizations?

Did you try to effect change in the existing organizations before starting another one? I know you are ex-NAHRA. But did you approach AKC and/or HRC?

In some ways I think it is easier to just start a new organization than to effect change in the original one. But the easy way is very rarely ever the more worthwhile way.

Thanks.

Kevin
Kevin,

The above does not appear to be very amiable behavior! :wink: I guarantee you that your friendly dogs would like the new game!

I went to the homepage and found a statement that appears to do a decent job of answering "why".

It is pasted here:

"The National Field Retriever Association, Inc. ("NFRA") offers competitive field tests for retriever-breed dogs. NFRA is a new and forward-looking organization that has produced a premier judging system for evaluating the field skills of retriever-breed dogs. NFRA field tests merge the best aspects of contemporary hunt tests and field trials. The performance of dogs is evaluated by an innovative scoring system called "deductive-objective" and "deductive-subjective" scoring."

Like they told the lady who tried to lead a national boycott of the old TV program "Married with Children", if you don't like the show, change the channel! (If you don't like it, you don't have to run it!)

I have seen nothing in any aspect of the program that threatens the existing hunt test or trial games in any way. I don't see the need for antagonism among the retriever sport ranks. This new organization is bound to appeal to many, but also not appeal to a large group.

That's what's great about our dog games. There are several sizes, shapes and flavors to suit many tastes.

Chris

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
OUCH!

10% of the total entries means the amount is taken out before the bills are paid. That means some clubs (especially during start-up) are going to have to eat some of the bills to make up the difference.

Lisa-writing that check would give me tenesmus

·
Banned
1,467 Posts
Registry ? ?

Will the titles appear on any registry (i.e.pedigree?)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Doc,

I think the answer to that is NO. Just like a NAHRA title. The rule book on line says the test will require an AKC or CKC registration to enter. AKC is VERY particular about the titles it allows on its pedigrees. Does seem like a conflict in testing goals - find a winner and judge to a standard.

BTW - All of you HRC guys, watch yourself when you fill out an AKC premium for a HT or a FT. If you include a HRC or a NAHRA title not recognized by the AKC, it could be judged as an incorrectly filled out premium and COULD invalidate any pass or place you recieve in the AKC event.

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Hmmmm....

I'm not trying to "down" a new venue. Anything that promotes the sport of dogs in general and retrievers in particular at least has the right motive at heart.

I'm just a tad bit curious on an adjective used to describe the titles awarded by the group.....

"coveted"

Coveted? I can't help but feel that the founders are being a TAD bit presumptuous in assuming before the first test has been run that the titles will be "wished for enviously."

But that's just me... :wink:

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
This will be very interesting. I wish you all the best of luck. The combo of tests you are developing will be intriguing to watch.

I'm very relieved to see the bios of the officers. I got worried that Richard Cheatham, the treasurer, was related to an old law firm I once got clobbered by...Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe. It was comforting to see he was never involved with them.

UB...still stunned to find out Jerry is a red-headed Don Knotts. That could mean we were bros in a previous life.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ummm ... Am I the only one to notice all of the BOD folks are swamp collie owners? Kinda reminds me of the current TV ad running with all the weiner dogs stampeding ... cracks me up no end. At least the new org had enough good judgement to use a yellar dawg in their logo.

Sorry for the ribbing guys ... sincerely wish you the best of luck.

:lol:

1 - 20 of 88 Posts