RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being glued to the computer for the last week watching the National Am blog, I was introduced to some new dogs.

After about the 5th series, I started perusing the EE records of the males still in contention. Guess I was bored at work...

One caveat- I don't intend this to be a zero-sum: in that only those dogs that compete and go deep in the Am should be considered as studs. There are some wonderful dogs that did not compete or did not go deep in the Am that should be considered for breeding, in my very humble opinion.

But what dogs peaked your interest that you previously hadn't known of, or knew little of?

Guess Im bored at work again....;-)

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Well the obvious first is that it puts an exclamation point on Grady as a sire, and as someone predicted in another thread Grady may indeed supplant Lean Mac as this generations premier stud

I think that you also have to look at Slider since he has also shown that Clubmead Road Warrior dogs are great markers, not that that wasn't already known

And finally Trav will have to be considered if one is in the market for a yellow stud dog

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Forget studs...dime a dozen

Let's look at the girls :)

·
Registered
102 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
The girls do have alot to do with the pups not just the studs. Yes, Grady and Traveler will have BIG futures as stud dogs. I was very pleased with Jaybar's American Idol ending up as a finalist. In fact, I am getting a pup out of him this Sept. Congrats to all the National Am. participants.

Kent

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
What is your chances of getting a pup out of Windy or Gracie?
Windy is too old, and Gracie was bred in the last couple of years to Lean Mac, those pups were spoken for at conception :rolleyes:

Leeza (World Famous Condoleeza Bites) who is a full sister to World Famous Rosa, was just bred to NFC Two Rivers Willie and has confirmed pups on the way

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
One thought. The dogs that finished the NARC and consistently finish weekend trials have proven that they can DO it. Some (Grady for instance) have proven that they can THROW it. Not all dogs that perform can produce. When I start looking at dogs that perform well, I look at THEIR sires and dams and look for trends.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am suprised that no one has mentioned "Cane". He has been one of the most cosistent dogs the past few years and was a NARC Finalist as well. His pedigree of Lean Mac X Hawkeye Shadow cross has been proven time and time again. I am definitely not taking anything from the dogs that were named above but he does deserve to be at least mentioned! It just seems like he flies under the radar when this topic comes up.

-Matt

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
Gracie was bred in the last couple of years to Lean Mac, those pups were spoken for at conception :rolleyes:
Actually those puppies were one year old June 6 and they were spoken for prior to conception until she popped out 6 consecutive yellow females, interesting that all the ones I have seen including mine (black male) look like Gracie facially. Gracie has not yet chosen her next mate but is currently taking applications.

·
Registered
871 Posts
The Gman X Windy pups are about 7 mnths old I have one, Bill Woodson has one, and Ken has two. They are not for the faint of heart!
Bitches I saw that impress me were Gracie and Roxie Mcbunn and both of wayne stuka's.
Chad

·
Registered
259 Posts
. . . and both of wayne stupka's.
Chad

Wayne's finalist, Misty, is 9 1/2 and spayed due to bad wheels. His bitch, Lexie, is only 6-years-old and by Fargo. In fact, she is a full sister to Pirate and Angel, and should produce promising pups bred to any number of eligible sires, given how Pirate has crossed with several different lines.

A dog I would have interest in as a stud dog is Mark Rosenblum's Morey. This is a nice dog, an FC-AFC, who went seven series in this year's National Am, and his bloodlines are off the charts good. He is by Code Blue out of Kweezy. Code Blue's name speaks for itself, he's Grady's, sire to name his latest outstanding progeny, and Kweezey belongs to a very select group of bitches whose litters have changed the game.

Kweezy came from that lightning-in-a-bottle mating between Lean Mac and Candlewoods Ms Costalot that produced nearly a dozen FC and AFCs, and her coupling with Code Blue has produced a bevy of champions. Of course, Kweezy produced many winners from her litters with Pow and Willie, once again proving the strength on the bottom side of the pedigree. In any case, some females just really seem capable of passing down the genetic magic that makes great field champions, and Kweezy certainly qualifies as one of these special girls. She and Code Blue captured some of that rarel mojo and have passed it down to their offspring, and I hope Morey gets enough interested inquiries in the future to see if he is the man to pass these select genes to the next generation.

I'm somewhat convinced that Grady's considerable prowess as a sire may be because his pedigree intersects the bloodlines that produced Kweezy and her outstanding line of pups with Code Blue. Grady's sire is Code Blue and his dam is Ms Lean Mac'ce, a Fargo daughter whose mother is a littermate to Kweezy's dam, Ms.

The Aycock's owned both Ms. and Kweezy, and were responsible for the breeding between Code Blue and Kweezy. Maybe Dr. Ed will share his opinion of Morey, a product of that breeding, and his insight into the value of intersecting the genetic tree that led from Lottie to Ms. to Kweezy. I believe in pedigrees, especially that bottom side.

·
Registered
499 Posts
First, congratulations to Chad Baker and NAFC Paddle Creeks' Pack Your Grip on an amazing journey. I am sure his progeny will show great promis.

There are however, several talented young dogs not to be overlooked in the future breeding pool.

No. 16-Jaybar american Idol is also 4 years old with a 1st, 3-3rds, and jams this Nat. Am. competition year. He is amateur owned, trained, handled.

No. 28 Bayou Teche Eye on the Ball is 4 years old with 2-1st, 5-2nds, 3rd, and jams. Amateur trained as well.

No. 88 Son of a Preacher Man-still 4 years old with an Open 1st& 4th, 3-2nds, and 10 JAMS! He too is owned/trained/handled by an amateur. What a great Year!

Not to be overlooked eventhough not a finalist is B Bumble who is still 2 years old, in only 6 AA stakes and placed in 2 with a jam also.

Also...Westshore Buddy-still 3 years old with 3 -1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4 jams in this competition years.

All are very impressive!

Now, my favorite bitch is "Roxy". She did it all AND had 10 puppies this competition year!

·
Registered
890 Posts
I expect Trav to get lots of new interest. Chad has mentioned several times what a nice dog Trav is but he has been overshadowed by Grady. People will start paying attention to him now. I'm not much on the flavor of the month in stud dogs. I am most interested in dogs I've seen first hand. Grady is one I've been interested in since he was a young Derby dog. If Trav is anything like his Dad, I'd be interested in him too.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I think the Chopper sons are going to prove to be great sires. Slider has to be on the short list of Chopper males. Lots to like about Slider. I personally am attracted to Chopper x Tequila Sunrise, hence my 5 mo old Juice puppy.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Westshore Buddy, is quite the animal!!!
I got to see him run once a week at Sandhill till he went home for the summer.
Looking forward to my summer trip, see ya soon Buddy.

Gregg Leonard

1 - 20 of 52 Posts