RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello just wanted to introduce myself. Just moved from South Texas to Sault Ste Marie, MI. Just wanted to say hi, and the tempature it is much cooler here than TEXAS. A cool 50 degrees, yikes were going to freeze.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Hello just wanted to introduce myself. Just moved from South Texas to Sault Ste Marie, MI. Just wanted to say hi, and the tempature it is much cooler here than TEXAS. A cool 50 degrees, yikes were going to freeze.
Welcome to RTF. Summers are ideal for dog work in Michigan but winters will be kind of cold and get yourself a powerful snow blower!

There are good opportunities for dog training and competition close to the Sault on both sides of the border if your interested.

Mark off 6/17/12 thru 6/23/12 on your calendar to attend the 2012 National Amateur Retriever Championship. It's being held on properties around Onaway, MI only 100 miles from the Sault. If you need daily info or directions stop by the Hometown Inn in Indian River which is the event headquarters just off the I-75 exit ramp.

There are several retriever clubs on the Canadian side of the border who hold events in the Sault and Iron Bridge in the summer. Algoma is the closest.
Several field trials are held further south in lower MI near Flint and Lansing.
Have fun..

·
Registered
573 Posts
Welcome to RTF.

·
Registered
524 Posts
To add to Breck's information The Canadian National Retriever Championship will be September 16-22 in Iron Bridge, Ontairo, which about 2 hours from where you located.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Welcome to RTF and Michigan. Hope the air is ok with the big Fire going on, have not heard any updates on how that is going.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome to the UP! I'm in Cedarville about 40mi from the Soo. I train my ~6mo ylm daily if you would like to meet and train sometime. Give me a call 906-361-9593 I'd love to meet a fellow trainer and welcome you to Michigan's great Upper Peninsula. Tim Rogers

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Algoma Retriever Assoc operates out of Sault Ste. Marie Ont Canada. Goggle Canadian national retriever to find a contact.
Etd

·
Registered
1 Posts
Welcome from the middle of the mitten, in a couple of months you may find the temps to be a bit more comfortable for us here. Go west in the UP and enjoy more of the beauty.

Stinger

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Welcome to the Soo! My famliy is from the UP. My mothers side is from the Soo and most still live there. My dad's is from Calumet. Summers are beautiful but winters can be long and cold. If you run into any Pingatore's there they are all family.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the hospitalty, and info I will defenitly go and see the National AM Championship, this is going to be a huge shock to me when the winters roll around, being so custom to shooting birds in shorts for the first phase I have some learning to do. Thanks again and I look forward to meeting with everyone.

James

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why such a big move, I'm in the Coast Guard and have done 10 years on the gulf coast so I guess it was time to branch out.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thanks for all the hospitalty, and info I will defenitly go and see the National AM Championship, this is going to be a huge shock to me when the winters roll around, being so custom to shooting birds in shorts for the first phase I have some learning to do. Thanks again and I look forward to meeting with everyone.

James

I hate to break it to ya James, but you're gonna be shootin' yer birds in long johns & 5 layers 'o clothes this year. May I suggest findin' a good gunsmith before it gits too cold, ta shorten your shotgun stock about 3"...

I hear you're gettin' together with my son Tim on Thursday, glad you two are so close not only in distance but dog ages & training levels too. I'll be headed that way the Friday before the Nationals, maybe I'll git da chance ta meet ya too.

Trust me on da layering, I spent my college years in Houghton at MTU...huntin' ta stay alive cuz I spent all my food money on beer (aka steak in a can).

·
Registered
158 Posts
Welcome to the RTF. There is a wealth of knowledge here for you, enjoy and good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts