RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I would come here and maybe pick up a couple more tips and tricks to add to my bag.

I have always had a lab, and have always hunted with my lab. However, until recently I never thought much on wanting more. I have always been very active with all of our dogs. This time, instead of rescuing we purchased our dog with the intentions of at least seeing how far we can go in field trials. And other events that don't relate to this forum (dock dogs, obedience, agility and maybe rally)... She will also be our hunting companion.

I am not new to training, but am new to the terms and rules so I thought that this forum might be a good place to start. I know the basics and we have already gotten pointers from her breeder and other trainers.

I want to train her using what I heard is the "Amish" method in retriever training terms. In my terms, using positive reinforcement. I have heard that this method will take longer and I probably wont have much of a chance with field trials. If not, that's fine. I'm not against using a collar, I personally don't want to and am not in a hurry. I am a very patient person.

Blizzard is my girls name. I am doing all the training myself, which is extremely important to me. I will not send her off. Like I said, she is 6 months old and right off the top of my head she knows: Sit (and I mean knows sit, will sit for hours, you can try to drag her with the leash, etc she wont budge). She is very steady. She will sit & wait for next command, and will retrieve when sent. She is starting the basics of hand signals. She knows the whistle means sit, and we are working on it at distances now. She does very basic doubles. She retrieves feathers and will be introduced to a live bird this weekend probably. She retrieves on land and water. We are toning up the "hold it" command, and holding the bird longer when bringing it to hand. She knows "place" (not sure what you call it, for me it means come sit in the heel position. Still toning heeling up. She also knows other commands that apply but might not be taught in the same way I teach them. Including kennel, down, watch me and others.

So that's our story. I think we are on the right track, but being the first "formal" training I've ever done I'm not worried about having to back track or take awhile to reach a goal.

Any good books/videos you'd recommend would be great. Along with any trainer that would work with us in or around the Sandhills of NC would be great.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
First of all welcome to RTF and second there are many good training books and manuals and Video series, check out YBS media.com or click at the top on Mike Lardy's Total Retriever Training. 3rd there are many people that do multiple events like super retriever series, dock dogs, agility, and show their dogs for breed standard so there is a multitude of knowledge at your fingertips all you have to do is click on the search button at the top and type in your question, and if you cant find it there start a new thread with your concern or question. good luck with the pup.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Careful as Hunt Test can get in your blood. I deny I am addicted or hooked as I can stop Hunt Test anytime. I just do not want to stop just yet. Good luck enjoy all your dog journeys

·
Registered
513 Posts
Welcome to RTF. It looks like you're off to a good start with your pup. The performance events are a lot of fun to participate in. You'll have a great time where ever she takes you. Just remember, its not about the destination, it's about the journey. You and she will build a lifetime of great memories along the way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts