RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, did a complete overhaul of the website, which had become quite outdated in the editing and design. This is the new look - what do you think?:confused::) www.trinityoaklabs.com

·
Registered
95 Posts
Looks nice! the yellow hyperlinks on the puppies page are a bit hard to see just my opinion. I like the layout and feel.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Looks nice and neat

Biggest problem is trying to read black printing on the dark barn board background

Also FYI Using safari on my iMac

On you page training
Part of the title Training Programs is covered by the photo of the swimming lab

Further down
The line that begins “2 week course and …” and the line of tildas below it are partially obscured by the line “#2: Basic Dog Training

The cost of your Upland hunting program runs into the dark barn board border and is difficult to read

Hope this helps

·
Registered
285 Posts
It's very nice. I love the header - the pictures and the wood, it has a great feel. I like that the picture changes on every page, it's a great way to show off pictures without being obtrusive. I'm a big fan of the font you use too. The color palette is good, it's thematic but readable. I like the basic layout. It's certainly functional and navigable, which is half the battle, but there are a few things I think you can do to give it some polish.

On the left sidebar, the red links are a little hard to read against the dark brown. It may help to bold the link text, make it a different color, or make it a button. The Paypal logo is falling off the background.

On the top navigation bar, when you hover over the links it makes them bold. This is a personal peeve, I am not fond of it and in your case it moves the other nav links and forces them out of the pane. Hover over "Testimonials" and almost the entire H in Home is forced into the left sidebar. I would probably just make them regular links; there is probably a CSS fix if you Google around. I don't like things that change when you hover over them though, so I have never looked in to it.

On the footer, make your email a link. I might add a - between the phone number and the email address. I like the footer, having your contact information like that on every page is very important.

A lot of your body text is bold, most notably on the Home page, About Us, and Testimonials. Other pages (training, puppies, results) are better about using bold text to direct attention. Large blocks of bold text are tiring to read on a monitor because it changes the way the letters flow.

Our Boys: "Although our kennel has grown and we no longer can keep [all of them] them in the house at one time, each of them is allowed house time and to be part of the family."

Our girls: The intro paragraph should probably have the same box around it as the one on the boys page does, or the boys' page should lose it. I'm not sure if the group shot below the paragraph is just the girls or all your dogs. With only two males I'd be tempted to just put all the dogs on one page and call it "Our Dogs." I like that you give both their registered names and their call names.

One thing you can do that's pretty easy and really polishes off a website is when ever you have a series of pictures like that is make sure they are all the same dimensions and are aligned with the same amount of space on all sides. Similarly, on the home page the logos of sponsors (?) don't all have to be the same size but they should at least be left aligned, if not filling out a rectangle; and the pictures of quick links on the left sidebar.

Puppies page: The grey-brown box behind "Spring Puppies" needs to be slightly larger so the text fits within. Otherwise I really like this page. Watch your picture dimensions again, at least the sire and dam for each litter should be the same size, if not all the pictures of the dogs the same size. For the Rooster x Star litter, make "facebook" in "Pictures on our facebook page!" a link, preferably directly to the album of the litter.

Started Dogs: You have a black box between Flip and George that goes somewhere else. Same picture size is not as necessary here, because you have each dog broken off into it's own block, but it couldn't hurt.

Training: Your picture covers some of the text.

On the training testimonials make the symbol for the byline constant, either all = or all ~. I favor a simple -. Watch your use of bold text.

The description of training programs just needs a little polish. Get rid of the asterisks on some of the headlines. Decide what are level 1 headlines, level 2 headlines, etc and style each level consistantly. H1 should be the largest and most attention getting, and going down from there. I would make "What to Expect" lowercase, and get rid of the underlines on anything that isn't a link. You need more white space above and below of ~~~~~~~~~~ Keep your styling consistant be

"The prices listed include the following provisions: All birds, shells, dog food, boarding, etc. Any additional services - such as Heartworm medication or Flea and Tick treatment - (which the client requests) will be an additional charge."

Don't say "etc" when you are listing provisions that are covered in the price. Be explicit about what is and is not covered. Your definition and the client's definition of what is additional services may differ.

Testimonies: I am getting some broken images. The header and the ten year seal. Watch your use of bold text and your image sizes, and alignment of page elements.

Hunt test results: Ohio HRC, the last bullet point, should be red like the others. Otherwise this looks great! This is a great example of good alignment. See how neat everything looks lined up nicely?

Contact us: Needs less bold, otherwise fine. Sidebar is missing Quick Links section.

I LOVE the light tan picture that is the background for some of the text - boards with grass at the bottom. That's really, really great. The text is still super readable, the effect is subtle (I didn't notice it for about 15 minutes) but it adds a lot of character.

Again, overall it's a nice site. It's easy to get around, all the links work, I can find all the information I would need. Big picture it's great, and tightening up a few details will really put some polish on it.

ETA: I am using Google Chrome on Windows 7.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks nice and neat

Biggest problem is trying to read black printing on the dark barn board background

Also FYI Using safari on my iMac

On you page training
Part of the title Training Programs is covered by the photo of the swimming lab

Further down
The line that begins “2 week course and …” and the line of tildas below it are partially obscured by the line “#2: Basic Dog Training

The cost of your Upland hunting program runs into the dark barn board border and is difficult to read

Hope this helps
Thanks for your reply :) Is it just wood as the background on each page? Do you see any paper at all? There is supposed to be an old paper/light colored layer in front of the wood.......Thanks for the help!

Site looks awesome!
Thanks! I feel honored that you used your first post on my thread :)

It's very nice. I love the header - the pictures and the wood, it has a great feel. I like that the picture changes on every page, it's a great way to show off pictures without being obtrusive. I'm a big fan of the font you use too. The color palette is good, it's thematic but readable. I like the basic layout. It's certainly functional and navigable, which is half the battle, but there are a few things I think you can do to give it some polish.

On the left sidebar, the red links are a little hard to read against the dark brown. It may help to bold the link text, make it a different color, or make it a button. The Paypal logo is falling off the background.

On the top navigation bar, when you hover over the links it makes them bold. This is a personal peeve, I am not fond of it and in your case it moves the other nav links and forces them out of the pane. Hover over "Testimonials" and almost the entire H in Home is forced into the left sidebar. I would probably just make them regular links; there is probably a CSS fix if you Google around. I don't like things that change when you hover over them though, so I have never looked in to it.

On the footer, make your email a link. I might add a - between the phone number and the email address. I like the footer, having your contact information like that on every page is very important.

A lot of your body text is bold, most notably on the Home page, About Us, and Testimonials. Other pages (training, puppies, results) are better about using bold text to direct attention. Large blocks of bold text are tiring to read on a monitor because it changes the way the letters flow.

Our Boys: "Although our kennel has grown and we no longer can keep [all of them] them in the house at one time, each of them is allowed house time and to be part of the family."

Our girls: The intro paragraph should probably have the same box around it as the one on the boys page does, or the boys' page should lose it. I'm not sure if the group shot below the paragraph is just the girls or all your dogs. With only two males I'd be tempted to just put all the dogs on one page and call it "Our Dogs." I like that you give both their registered names and their call names.

One thing you can do that's pretty easy and really polishes off a website is when ever you have a series of pictures like that is make sure they are all the same dimensions and are aligned with the same amount of space on all sides. Similarly, on the home page the logos of sponsors (?) don't all have to be the same size but they should at least be left aligned, if not filling out a rectangle; and the pictures of quick links on the left sidebar.

Puppies page: The grey-brown box behind "Spring Puppies" needs to be slightly larger so the text fits within. Otherwise I really like this page. Watch your picture dimensions again, at least the sire and dam for each litter should be the same size, if not all the pictures of the dogs the same size. For the Rooster x Star litter, make "facebook" in "Pictures on our facebook page!" a link, preferably directly to the album of the litter.

Started Dogs: You have a black box between Flip and George that goes somewhere else. Same picture size is not as necessary here, because you have each dog broken off into it's own block, but it couldn't hurt.

Training: Your picture covers some of the text.

On the training testimonials make the symbol for the byline constant, either all = or all ~. I favor a simple -. Watch your use of bold text.

The description of training programs just needs a little polish. Get rid of the asterisks on some of the headlines. Decide what are level 1 headlines, level 2 headlines, etc and style each level consistantly. H1 should be the largest and most attention getting, and going down from there. I would make "What to Expect" lowercase, and get rid of the underlines on anything that isn't a link. You need more white space above and below of ~~~~~~~~~~ Keep your styling consistant be

"The prices listed include the following provisions: All birds, shells, dog food, boarding, etc. Any additional services - such as Heartworm medication or Flea and Tick treatment - (which the client requests) will be an additional charge."

Don't say "etc" when you are listing provisions that are covered in the price. Be explicit about what is and is not covered. Your definition and the client's definition of what is additional services may differ.

Testimonies: I am getting some broken images. The header and the ten year seal. Watch your use of bold text and your image sizes, and alignment of page elements.

Hunt test results: Ohio HRC, the last bullet point, should be red like the others. Otherwise this looks great! This is a great example of good alignment. See how neat everything looks lined up nicely?

Contact us: Needs less bold, otherwise fine. Sidebar is missing Quick Links section.

I LOVE the light tan picture that is the background for some of the text - boards with grass at the bottom. That's really, really great. The text is still super readable, the effect is subtle (I didn't notice it for about 15 minutes) but it adds a lot of character.

Again, overall it's a nice site. It's easy to get around, all the links work, I can find all the information I would need. Big picture it's great, and tightening up a few details will really put some polish on it.

ETA: I am using Google Chrome on Windows 7.
Thank you Raegan!! Appreciate the time you put into your reply, BIG help. I am going to be out of town for the weekend, but when I return I will get to it. Thanks again :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts