RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I was a kid, it was quite a journey to travel from the eastern slope of Colorado, to the western slope, particularly the far SW corner of the state. To me as a kid, it was like going to a different country.. I live there now! This is my New Zealand..:)
If I had the means though, I would love to go there for a month.. …..or two
:)

• Love
Reactions: swampcollielover

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
You tube channel
Jensen fly fishing has a Lot of beautiful videos like the above..
If you have a smart TV, and it has you tube app installed, you can subscribe to what ever YouTube material available, and watch on big screen TV..
The flyfishing videos are really spectacular…

·
Registered
985 Posts
Just stunning photography..
I didn’t save enough money for retirement!!!!
Haha! Leaving in 1 week for fly fishing North Island Browns and mostly Rainbows! It is truly spectacular and first time back since Covid closures. The Jensen videos are simply the best.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Haha! Leaving in 1 week for fly fishing North Island Browns and mostly Rainbows! It is truly spectacular and first time back since Covid closures. The Jensen videos are simply the best.
Dennis, as an old Commonwealther expat, I recommend taking along Gooser and deputizing him to do a talismanic hackled Haka each morning before the double-hauling "kicks off."

MG

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Dennis, as an old Commonwealther expat, I recommend taking along Gooser and deputizing him to do a talismanic hackled Haka each morning before the double-hauling "kicks off."

MG
Great Idea!!! I”ll even carry luggage! All I require for food is Pop tarts and Mountain Dew!!
P.S. prolly lots a puke bags on the plane too! I’m fun to travel with!
Don’t know what a tailismaniac hack a lung is, but I’m a good student, and try hard!!!

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
When I was a kid, it was quite a journey to travel from the eastern slope of Colorado, to the western slope, particularly the far SW corner of the state. To me as a kid, it was like going to a different country.. I live there now! This is my New Zealand..:)
If I had the means though, I would love to go there for a month.. …..or two
:)
Yep, as a displaced Colorado Native I particularly like South Fork and/or Lake City...

·
Registered
985 Posts

MG
Great Idea!!! I”ll even carry luggage! All I require for food is Pop tarts and Mountain Dew!!
P.S. prolly lots a puke bags on the plane too! I’m fun to travel with!
Don’t know what a tailismaniac hack a lung is, but I’m a good student, and try hard!!!
I could sure direct Gooser to some good rivers (they are almost all good!). Maybe some CO bartering? You can do a lot of free-lancing quite cheaply but it pays to get a good guide to learn some of their inside stuff. This trip I’m staying with Chessie friends but I have rented camper vans and freedom camped all over. Their retriever trials are very interesting-basically scored hunt tests with quite different evaluation than ours.
The Māori often do a haka before roasting a tasty white sport found deep in the back country!😂

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Yep, as a displaced Colorado Native I particularly like South Fork and/or Lake City...
As a kid, like Gooser, the family went to the west slope a lot! Family in Montrose, former neighbors in Gunnison, loved Silverton and Quray and the RR in Durango. My dad graduated as a petroleum engineer with a minor in geology so he hauled us all over western Colorado looking at rocks, fossils, and archaeological sites. Later, a friend of mine in high school's mom ran the hamburger stand in Quray (was the information center by the pool last I looked) so a buddy and I would head to Ouray during the summer to hang out, fish, pan gold, try and buy beer, and whatever. Later, the friend with hamburger stand access married a girl from Quray, so I had another hook to spend time there. When I started working, I lived in both Montrose and Southfork for a bit while working for the highway department. The Gunnison, the Uncompagrhe, some lakes up on Grand Mesa, and the Rio Grande? What fishing that was, not to mention the scenery. While in South Fork, we surveyed the highway expansion over Wolf Creek, so I got to walk up and down that pass, then fish after work. Took 'em 20 years to build what we'd surveyed, but Wolf Creek Pass is now a lot easier drive than it was before the expansion. Worked briefly on a Folsom site up above Lake City. Had a moose mom and calf periodically visiting camp, which was interesting. I finally moved near Farmington, NM, 50 miles south of Durango, lived there 25 years, and had easy access to the San Juan River (great duck hunting too) as well all of SW Colorado. Maybe not New Zealand, but like Gooser said, that was my New Zealand. Now, I live in a valley with mountains on the east and west in Montana and this is pretty nice too.

I'll bet Gooser carries a mean suitcase.

Would love that trip myself!

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Even for those that don’t fish.. Those Jensen flyfishing videos are beautiful to watch. If you love the outdoors, and wild places, I really do encourage any of you to make your smart TV equipped with YOU TUBE App, then browse the videos on Jensen Flyfishing channel!
They talk weird cause theys from Alberta, even that makes video fun A?
:) Even their statements of facts are really vocalized as a question! “ Right love”? Great fun!!

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Chuck describes the draw to SW Colorado perfectly.
I remember as a kid, my Dad drug the family to Durango/ Silverton , and eventually down to visit Thea Anasazi Ruins at Mesa Verde. I was pie eyed the whole trip.
I remember our first trip over the “Million Dollar” highyway! My Mom was a wreck! Totally terrified! She laid down in the front seat of the family Rambler 4 door sedan with her eyes closed! Sheer drop off 1200 feet or better on the road with no guard rails! Spectacular country, and views!

Reactions: dr_dog_guy

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A couple of pics from my pretend Patagonia trips!!!! :) Both fish pushin 20” Hard to get good pics when your by yourself, and wanting to get fish back in river as quick as possible.. Both fish not 20 minutes from home
Fish Salmon-like fish Marine biology Ray-finned fish Fin

Attachments

Reactions: pappy

·
Registered
146 Posts
Great Idea!!! I”ll even carry luggage! All I require for food is Pop tarts and Mountain Dew!! P.S. prolly lots a puke bags on the plane too! I’m fun to travel with! Don’t know what a tailismaniac hack a lung is, but I’m a good student, and try hard!!!
You’ll have to hunt for Mountain Dew and Pop Tarts in NZ. 😁

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
With a bit of luck me and The Management will be in The Land of The Long White Cloud late Summer next year.

We have Kiwi neighbours who have a house overlooking the sea on South Island in Otago, and we can have it for as long as we like. Given the journey time and cost it has to be at least three weeks to make the job worthwhile.

We'll probably miss the inland game fishing season, but the beach casting and rock fishing is said to be excellent; the bike shed is full of surf fishing tackle too!

·
Registered
146 Posts
With a bit of luck me and The Management will be in The Land of The Long White Cloud late Summer next year.

We have Kiwi neighbours who have a house overlooking the sea on South Island in Otago, and we can have it for as long as we like. Given the journey time and cost it has to be at least three weeks to make the job worthwhile.

We'll probably miss the inland game fishing season, but the beach casting and rock fishing is said to be excellent; the bike shed is full of surf fishing tackle too!

Otago is gorgeous. Don’t know where you’ll be but overlooking the sea you can’t go wrong. Make sure you take a night to go eat at Fleur’s Place up Moeraki way and see the penguins return in Oamaru. I’m a Kiwi with most of my family still there - don’t get to see them as often as I’d like. Enjoy!

Reactions: MooseGooser

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
T-bone,

Thanks for the steer; Fleur's plaice (not a typo!) looks right up my street.

We will be in Kaka Point about as far south from Dunedin as Moeraki is north; call the trip 100 miles. A leisurely drive up the Scenic Highway, seafood dinner at Fleur's and a night in a B&B sounds a plan ..

It's years since I did any beach fishing, but knocking something edible on the head and taking it home for a barbie also sounds alluring; bottle of Marlborough, buttery new spuds, few peas and beans, yes please!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts