RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

Considering getting a retriever and could use some advice. Now I know that means all types of suggestions will be made. However I have been around upland dogs for many years. I have had suggestions to just use the dogs that I'm already familiar with, but I think I need something a little suited for the sport of water fowling.

I have have labs as a house pet, and I know many people use them for Trials and hunting. Someone suggested a Chessie, said there bigger and better equipped. I'm not so sure about that one. Others suggested that I use the all purpose Shorthair. I love them but am looking to venture into another breed. My main purpose's are for trials,and Hunting, but we all want good conformation. So it sounds like I'm down to the Lab or the Chessie.

What is your opinion? and where to find the best breeder for my new puppy?

Thanks to everyone:D

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Hello Carolina, welcome to RTF.
If you have had labs in the past I say stick with what you know.
A Chessie will never give up on a retrieve, even when you want him to. Compaired to a lab he will be bigger, stronger, harder, smarter, softer, drama queenier, more manipulative, more leader of the packier, more able to train YOU! And may floss with your postman.
And the look you will get when you miss!:eek:
Like I was asked back in '98 at a kitchen table in Quebec. "why do you think you should have a chessie"?
Not meaning to offend, just the way it is.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Hello Carolina, welcome to RTF.
If you have had labs in the past I say stick with what you know.
A Chessie will never give up on a retrieve, even when you want him to. Compaired to a lab he will be bigger, stronger, harder, smarter, softer, drama queenier, more manipulative, more leader of the packier, more able to train YOU! And may floss with your postman.
And the look you will get when you miss!:eek:
Like I was asked back in '98 at a kitchen table in Quebec. "why do you think you should have a chessie"?
Not meaning to offend, just the way it is.
I was once a Chessie owner.
I no longer am because they had a tendency to quit on a retrieve when they wanted to.
Have had field labs for over thirty years and have never had one quit on me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the great advise guys. This is why I joined. Information like this is priceless. I love both breeds, but no one wants to waste a bunch of time training with poor results. I was trying to find out if a chessie has won any national events. I can't seem to find much info.

At the present moment Im leaning towards the Labs. Seems more of them are at the Top places in the country.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts