RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have raised breed and field trialed AKC beagles for years now but I'm on my first lab. For me she is just to retrieve birds not ready to test the hunt test waters just yet. Her sire is a MH and her mom was a JH when I bought my female as a puppy. Both parents are CIM/CNM clear my first question is should I have mine tested or is she clear by parentage? Second question is she is almost 2 so i know I need to get the OFA done but I missed the eye test is it to late to do? Accorrding to my puppy contract it should have been done around a year old. Last question is I want to breed her this fall after dove season but it seems like most people here only want to breed to titled dogs. What are some opinions on this?

Thanks
Gerald

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I'm afraid I'm not up on all the certifications so I can't help you there. But just thinking...why be in a rush to breed your dog? She's got a pedigree that suggests she could be a good (maybe even really good) retriever. And, any puppies she produces, you'd like to get into good homes. Your best chance of doing that is to prove that she can do the job. You're right, many hunters know where to go for quality pups and they are available from good breeders all over the country. Get in with the local retriever club, start working and training her. Get a title... or something to show she's birdy and enjoys retrieving.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
You can do the eye exam at any time. OFA is 24 months minimum for finals. I would personally test the dog for EIC/CNM just because you weren't her breeder and you don't really know for 100% sure that every single T was crossed. But if she's bred to a clear stud, really doesn't matter as long as the buyers understand they won't be getting an affected pup. If you chose a carrier or untested sire, then test your bitch first, to be safe.

As for your bitch being titled, just depends on your market. The people who care about titles are a very small percentage of the buying market. Then break it down to those who think HT titles are worthless, or HRC titles aren't as good as AKC, or only FC AFC bitches should be bred, well, opinions vary. ;-)

·
Registered
227 Posts
If both parents are clear, then she will be clear... however, some will tell you to have her tested before breeding her as there is always a margin of error in that results may've been switched... And I applaud you for wanting to do all the testing you can, having said that, I'd wait until she's atleast three before breeding her ( let her mature), and there are many pups listed in the classifieds with out titled moms that were bred by some very well known people. As for titling her, I've bred some fantastic labs that are pro retrievers for private hunt clubs, and waterfowl outfitters, but I'm joining the HT game just to up the ante on my kennel ( one breeding female, one yr old female)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My only reason for breeding her at 2 1/2 was I've seen bitches mature out after a litter. Second reason would to breed would be to get a male pup for free basically after the rest of the litter is sold. She is pretty high strong for me but she is getting pretty obedient now or my training abilities are getting better lol. Just thought a breeding might calm her a little. Thanks for the information just want to do everything right.

Thanks
Gerald

1 - 5 of 5 Posts