RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is shredded newspaper safe to use for newborn puppy bedding? What are the risks?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I don't like anything for newborns that they can get under or buried by--the puppy rail only helps pups stuck between mom and the sides; it doesn't keep her from lying right on top of a pup she can't see because of bedding.

I normally don't put anything in the box for the first couple of weeks, then place newspapers in after that.

Meredith

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't like anything for newborns that they can get under or buried by--the puppy rail only helps pups stuck between mom and the sides; it doesn't keep her from lying right on top of a pup she can't see because of bedding.

I normally don't put anything in the box for the first couple of weeks, then place newspapers in after that.

Meredith
Good point, Meredith. I put a piece of vinyl flooring under the whelping pen (pen has no bottom), and then towels in the pen layed out flat. This is it until the pups start to eat real food along with nursing (about 4-weeks). Then I switch to pine shavings.

Keep in mind if you use newspaper, that even if it isn't printed it still smells the same. Down the road when you're house breaking, your pup will have to un-learn that newspaper is a place to soil.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Here's what I use and I LOVE them!! I buy the Multi-Layer underpads. 34 X 46 high soakers. http://www.ezwhelp.com/BuyNewWhelpingPads.htm

I just change them out as needed. These are on top of the fleece that goes in the bottom of my box. They wash up great and are so much better and cleaner than newspaper. More comfortable for the bitch too!

You can buy the used ones, but I've never tried them.

Here is pic the day after whelping with the pads on top of the fleece:

After a week or two I just use fleece.

Sue Puff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts