RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feed your dog anymore the night before a trial bcause of all the extra work they will be doing, that of course being u make it out of first series. Do any of y'all use any type of electrolyte drink during day at trial or just water?

·
Registered
876 Posts
I don't change anything but sometimes the dogs do.
If we've travelled, and they know what's up, they sometimes don't eat as much. I wouldn't feed more prior. Partly because of what travel & excitement does to their digestive system.
I haven't used the electrolyte stuff in their water. I wonder what others think of it too.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I will be giving a talk on conditioning the SAR dog and have been researching it alot. Most nutritionist recommend giving the bulk of the carbs and protein ~12-17 hours prior to expected exertion. Then a small amount 3-5 hours prior.

Also, giving a simple carb during or immediately after helps with the recovery.

On my oversized behemoth of a Lab, I use syrup mixed with water and give it to him during his task. I've also used nutrical as a supplement during work, but it is too expensive to use consistently. I can't give him any solid food while he is working because he'll throw it all back up. I feed the majority of his meal in the evening and only a small amount in the morning.

There is a product called maltodextrin that some people use to boost the carbs during a work out. However, it is difficult to find and unwieldly to use.

So he gets nothing extra, but I do try to boost him during a day he is working hard.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Mine work much harder training than at any test so nothing out of the norm food wise. Plenty of access is a bigger worry to me.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I put this glycocharge stuff in their water after they run. Chad turned me on to it. My dogs don't run like Grady or Trav after drinking it, but it certainly doesn't seem to hurt anything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts