Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be interesting if there are any dog lovers here! I copied and pasted the entire email I received today. I read a lot of stuff here but I have never read anything about raisins or grapes. Maybe I just missed it.
Good information,,, I had no idea about this, chocolate yes - but not raisins or grapes. Pass on to dog owners...
Subject: Raisin poisoning in Dogs
Forwarding information on raisins. Sorry for everyone who already knows this....didn't want to miss anybody. Feel free to forward.
RAISIN POISONING IN DOGS
Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends who do.
This is worth passing on to them.
(Below written by a vet)
This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at
MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix who ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on
Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on
Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM.
I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure
but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog
in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the
doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but... .
Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to give IV fluids at 1 Ã,Â½ times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.
The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less
than 27) and creatinine over 5 ( 1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are
monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter
and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids.
At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to
MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as
He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have
continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a
diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still
couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his
BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very
elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150,
skyrocketed to 220.. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to
This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins
could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very
serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be
toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats
including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate
Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Danville , Ohio