RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1 y/o female was really quite all duck season. I would have her on the rice check about 10 yards from the blind in a layout blind. She was silent, steady and you'd forget she was there.

No that hunting season is over and were back training she has developed a habit that's annoying the heck out of me. As she is at heel, whether during a mark or especially when I'm lining her up for a blind, she has started whining. Sometimes even as I say "Back" for the blind, she takes off as a rocket but will bark or yelp in excitement. It's driving me crazy. :-x

I'm sure there is a fix for this so thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I have the same thing with Luke. He gives a Kamikaze scream when he takes off for a blind - every blind no matter how long that blind may be. I ran him on 6 blinds today and he screamed on each take off like I hit him with the collar on 6 high. This part I don't mind, but the whining at the line does drive me nuts. It also seems to be getting better.

This is difficult to correct. Right now I am working on slowing everything down to a crawl with this guy in an attempt to teach him some patience. Personally, I feel that this is an anxiety issue. The dog has a lot of drive, is anticipating the mark or blind and quite frankly, is a worry wart. Luke doesn't get sent on anything until he's quiet. I will even walk him off the line in training, do a quick obedience session (push pull heeling drill), then walk back, line him up and send him IF he's quiet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wayne,
Thanks for pointing out that thread. Great information. The yelp as she takes off seems to be all in excitement.
John

·
Registered
16 Posts
Need info on AKC JH hunt test, Is it acceptable when you send your dog and when he comes back with the duck to say heel sit hold as I do in training sessions? Haven't ran a test in 12 years and forgot! Thanx!!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Need info on AKC JH hunt test, Is it acceptable when you send your dog and when he comes back with the duck to say heel sit hold as I do in training sessions? Haven't ran a test in 12 years and forgot! Thanx!!
Yes, that is fine to give him commands at that point but don't grab the dog until you've grabbed the bird.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts