RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During a couple recent training sessions with real birds my dog has started to let out a yelp/whine/howl as I release him for the marks. Now I assume this is from sheer excitement, and I don't know if he even knows he's doing it.

He generally isnt super excited for retrieving so I welcome anything that gets him excited, so I dont want to diminish any drive that he's building with the real birds.

If I allow this to continue will I cause any problems?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I say yes, if you plan for any competitions. I would get a bark collar on him pretty quick. you may see him think it is a "hot spot" at first, and he may also do it every time you get to a new training ground. But if you plan on having him in competitions the higher ends of the competitions will hit you hard on this. Also, in a duck blind if he's barking everytime you send him he may scare away a bird a too from landing in the pond.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I would recall him as soon as he vocalizes, give his muzzle a squeeze and tell him quiet, in a soft voice. Loud voices & electricity can ramp him up.
It shouldn't take long for him to realize he gets the birds when he follows the rules.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I would recall him as soon as he vocalizes, give his muzzle a squeeze and tell him quiet, in a soft voice. Loud voices & electricity can ramp him up.
It shouldn't take long for him to realize he gets the birds when he follows the rules.
I agree with Scott, you might tap him under the chin a couple of times at the same time you squeeze his muzzle and tell him quiet. Even the best dogs will make voice every now and then.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will calling him back do anything to diminish his desire/drive?

Being out of a show breeding his drive isnt that great to start. dont want to ruin any drive that he has

·
Registered
382 Posts
How old is the dog and where is he at in training? Generally you can't let this go but not sure about the dog, training, or goals.....

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have a dog that is dead calm and quiet on the line while the show is going down, when he leaves on the first bird he may talk about it but some but hammers his marks. I will choose my battles hopefully wisely and if he is getting the job done with a yip or two upon departure on the go bird then I am good. He's telling me that he's got it and is happy about it, so why would I want to step on that enthusiasm? I'm not a snob about retrieving so why should he be?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Never even thought to add the important details!

He will be two in June.
We have been struggling with pile work and doubles. Partially the dog/partially the trainer- probably more trainer than dog:oops:

Main goal is to have a decent hunting companion, hunt tests are just a hobby I started to keep me active with the dog and his training. We have picked up two legs towards his NAHRA started title last summer. Hopfully We will get the next two legs this summer. Last fall he picked up 50-60 ducks, a couple geese, and a pheasant. So he does have some potential!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Never even thought to add the important details!

He will be two in June.
We have been struggling with pile work and doubles. Partially the dog/partially the trainer- probably more trainer than dog:oops:

Main goal is to have a decent hunting companion, hunt tests are just a hobby I started to keep me active with the dog and his training. We have picked up two legs towards his NAHRA started title last summer. Hopfully We will get the next two legs this summer. Last fall he picked up 50-60 ducks, a couple geese, and a pheasant. So he does have some potential!
My suspicion is that this nose has developed as a result of the "struggles" with pile work, and collar pressure? Maybe take a step back and simplfy things for a week or two and let pressure come off. See if that fixes it before you do too much more - just an internet suggestion with limited information!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Newf,
I would suggest reading the article "Noise on the Line or on a Retrieve" by Evan Graham. It goes through these types of situations.

If you are not competing with him then I would not worry about it. But if you are then read the article.

After reading this article Post #3 by Scott will your best option.

I was having a similar problem and this article offered a solution. Bottom line is that denying him the retrieve works best. According to the article one of the solutions to the problem is the mutli dog honor, not just two dogs. In the article it talks about the multi dog honor will bring out the noise in any most dogs. My buddies and I from the Hunt Club found this to be true. Some of the guys thought that there dogs were immune to making noise but if you line up several dogs at one time you can bet that there will be music being made. We have worked on this multiple times and my dog, as well as others, have become suprisingly quite. She is only a 1 1/2 y/o and I thought that i would never shut her up at the line. we still have some work to do but we are well on our way to a quite line. We have also lived by denying the retrieve and sqeezing the muzzle lightly and telling her "quiet". we may have to reoeat this several time but after a while they get it!

Please take the time to read the article and let us know what you think. If you cant find it PM me and I will send it to you. Good Luck!!!!

·
Registered
877 Posts
How is he hunting for you?

Does he get excited and vocal?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He was pretty good for me last fall. We hunted with a couple other dogs and he was quiet and steady.

Since I train alone 99% of the time, I assume that is part of my problem.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Probably has a lot to do with it if it's worse around other dogs.

I am in the same boat and my dog does things I have never seen when you add just one dog to the pot, much less several. He wants every single mark, which is good in a way. But I am in the process of teaching him that is not going to be the case. Or at least he is letting me think I am teaching him that. :cool:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Think there's a lot to be considered in how you deal with this Newf, particularly with the issues at hand.

Would say that vocalization for now, would be the least of my worries if it were me, untill you can get a handle on the other stuff. Would also say that re-calling a dog that doesn't otherwise have the additional other issues would certainly be an option, in addition to the mindset of,.. any vocalization before the dog is SENT would result in a forfeit of that retrieve..(You get nuthin' untill your steady and quiet).

If it's every retrieve he does this, then you'll be doin' a whole LOT of re-calling, and that, to me, would start to deteriorate and begin to suck out the existing drive that your dog has at the moment..You need all you can get right now ;-) But otherwise re-calling him I would believe would be the Rx for ya'.

I'd bet you can get him to vocalize if you let a live clipped wing go in the training field, and make him steady before SENDING him..Sometimes a lot easier to correct before ya' SEND the dog than afterwards.

I see it as you're kinda' in a catch 22 situation..Letting it manifest could be harder later to work on it,..Working on it right now with the situation at hand, could change how your dog "feels " about retrieing in general..

·
Registered
877 Posts
To me he seems out of ballance. Trying to promote his drive and Im guessing here but You have thrown a lot of marks for the dog and he has learned that its all go for him and by that may have created anxiety for the dog basically stress which has shown its evil face leaving the line. This can come from hunting too soon or for an undertrained dog as well. They just dont know how to handle a situtation that can be very exciting and enticing thus creating a lot of problems you will have to go back and correct especially with birds in the mix. I think its more fair to the dog not to allow it to happen then go back and fix it later.

He sounds like a nice boy so work with him on a level where he can be successful and promote good habits from the beginning and Im sure you will have fine gun dog. They gave you some great advice to correct it but if you take your time and follow a good training program you'll put the odds in your favor against it. Personally I would much rather own a dog with a laid back temperment with soild control. The rest will come in due time. JMO

Best of luck

·
Registered
946 Posts
It is a balance. Maintain at least your standard of no noise on the line and in holding blinds and be quick to correct those especially since he is making noise when released. Some noise after being released probably is not going to get ou dropped from any hunt test. If he sings all the way out to the bird over and over then you have problems. If you are worried about drive calling the dog back over and over might not be a good idea.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
My suspicion is that this nose has developed as a result of the "struggles" with pile work, and collar pressure? Maybe take a step back and simplfy things for a week or two and let pressure come off. See if that fixes it before you do too much more - just an internet suggestion with limited information!

With the information that I have read, this is what I would do.
Keith

1 - 19 of 19 Posts