RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I think I've figured out that my boy's barking trigger is simply other dogs being present when retrieving. It doesn't even matter if the other dog is 50 yards away and has zero interest in retrieving. I haven't fully tested this theory yet but I've shot around him and he doesn't go psycho like he does when other dogs are around.

But I was just wondering if you go about teaching quiet the same way? Take him off line if he's noisy. I didn't know if there were a different approach or some underlying thing I needed to address about other dogs.

He was through FF and walking fetch starting casting and lining and doing awesome. He had a minor setback started in with refusals, which I hadn't gotten yet even with freebies. So I backed off to walking fetch again with the ear pinch everytime. Then I started a new job and have been so busy that we don't train everyday now. I'm frustrated about that but between being poked, prodded, paperwork, 12hr shifts (a new thing to me hehe) it's just been hard. Anyways, with the ear pinch now he will try to mouth me first but then picks up ok. I had wanted to start collar fetch but he started with the blatant refusals and no-gos so I backed up and held off on the collar fetch. I was hoping the FF might help him focus on me instead of barking but no such luck. He's so high and focused that he completely ignores the quiet command, which he knows, but will reheel almost automatically if he creeps. I didn't do retrieving during FF and haven't done much recently either.

My ideas were to stop all fun retrieving and other people just throwing things for him. Even tho I get refusals in FF he knows to deliver to hand and pick up and put it in my hand if he drops it. I wanted to start working OB really hard and line manners. Dan and I were planning on doing simulated tests this summer to work on his vocalization issues.

This isn't a FF question, I just wondered if I go about teaching quiet the same way or if there was a different approach because of the (assumed at this point) trigger. I thought it would help to know where he is in training. Just looking for perspectives on this.

Thanks,
Kourtney

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Kourtney I am lost - maybe it's just cuz it's Monday :wink: but I'm not following you - when is he barking/vocalizing? You mention other dogs, but what is your boy doing when he's making noise?

I would also be a little concerned about him "mouthing" you after you apply pressure before he's picking up the bumper.

Andy

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol sorry I had a long day at work too. When retrieving and another dog is present he is vocalizing. It can be if he's honoring or not, if he's just waiting to be sent too. The mouthing me during FF is a recent development, FF was beautiful until a few weeks ago when I couldn't do everyday with him and he started refusing. I'm planning to get back with Dan (polock) and get back on track now that I'm working and have an income lol. He's not a biter at all, not even when playing, he has a very soft mouth. But if the bumper is on the floor a few feet in front of him he will try to mouth my hand first and I have to guide him down to the bumper on the first try only. After that it's like he knows where it is (I thought I was showing him where it was enough on the first try but maybe not??) and he doesn't mouth me anymore. Honestly I'm not really concerned about it in terms of mouthing, only concerned in terms of he knew what was expected and was performing so well and now he's done a turnaround.

I doubt that was more clear but I tried! lol. Thanks.

Kourtney

·
Registered
381 Posts
Kourtney,

I will defer to others expertise on the FF question, although my first instinct would be to back up a step. If he is not going straight for the bumper the first time, I would say he doesn't really know what he is supposed to be doing yet.

As for the noise issue, I would really want to know a little more about this. It is so hard to really see what is going on through an Internet post. You say he is vocalizing and then say barking. Is it only barking, or does he whine or make any other noises? How is he with other dogs when you are not trying to do retrieving with him?

Latisha

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He sounds like he's being run over by a bus! It's barking, whining, strange noises never heard from a dog before...lol. He's fine with other dogs otherwise. No aggression whatsoever, no fear. He plays well, not too dominant and not too submissive.

Thanks,
Kourtney

·
Registered
381 Posts
RemsBPJasper said:
He sounds like he's being run over by a bus! It's barking, whining, strange noises never heard from a dog before...lol. He's fine with other dogs otherwise. No aggression whatsoever, no fear. He plays well, not too dominant and not too submissive.

Thanks,
Kourtney
I bet I have heard those noises before! :lol: Darn noisy dogs. :roll:

He may be fine with dogs, but it sounds like the presence of other dogs are heightening his frustration. It would be hard to say what exactly is going on without seeing it. But, what I would suggest is some classical deconditioning and see if that helps. First, I would work on obed in the presence of other dogs, and not even try to do retrieving for while. You can still work on his retrieves solo if he is working for you quietly. Second, when he is responding sharply with his obed around the other dogs, you can try some short retrieves. But, you want to distance yourself from the other dog's presence. You would get far enough away that the presence of the other dog doesn't distract him and he can focus on his retrieve. You would slowly decrease distance until you are able to keep him focused with the other dogs in close proximity. If he starts to get crazy on you, back up, increase distance and work on obed to regain his attention. This process may go pretty quickly for you, or it could take a while. In the mean time, don't do any collar or leash corrections for the noise at the line. It usually backfires causing the dog to be more frustrated. I have found that the more focused the dog is on his work, the less likely he is to vocalize.

Latisha

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't give him collar corrections or leash really at all. He's quite steady. He may creep a step and like I said he kind of auto-reheels. He's crazy focused tho! Like if he does honor and the other dog brings it back he won't take his eyes off the bumper. A level 7/8 sit correction for the creeping doesn't phase him. Hence why I'm not giving him collar corrections. He listens to a no, sit, or no, heel very well. Just doesn't listen to quiet lol.

I know that however I go about it is going to be involved and most likely a long process. I'm ok with that. I just, again, didn't know if it's the other dogs that are triggering him if I needed to approach the problem from a different angle.

His FF was superb, the process went smoothly, he knows I think he's just challenging me. I didn't really have questions about FF because I know I can get him through it and I know where to turn for help if I can't. But I'm not worried about the FF because I know we needed to back off and such and I think he'll come through it fine once I settle into my new work routine and can get back on a routine with him.

Thanks,
Kourtney

1 - 7 of 7 Posts