RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

This is my first duck dog. He's 10 months old and has amazing drive. He loves gun shots, is gentle with the birds, and loves to retrieve and constantly go. His only issue is he knows when it's time to work. From the time he gets in his crate to finishing the hunt he continuously whines. It gets worse when he hears gun fire. He's been introduced and loves the noise, but he wants a bird to drop immediately. My question is how to I stop his whining. It is a huge annoyance and he has scared Ducks off that were headed our way. Any help is appreciated. I've started working on false retrieves. He does not get to retrieve if he's whining and not calm. I also started working on the quiet command.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
He shouldn't be in the blind at 10 months with no manners.

Hard to fix discipline problems on Game Day, know what I mean?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would not reward him with a bird until he is quiet! He needs to learn if he isn't quiet he will not get a bird.

We we didn't know about the constant whine until his first hunt. We live in Alaska so we sit on the flats with no blind. I've started the false retrieves with him so he understands if he is being noisy no bird. He's slowly picking up on it. Didn't know if there were any other tips and tricks I could use. Other than that he's great. He listens to commands he just squeaks.

I completely understand what what you mean Dustin. He started training at 10 weeks so I'm just wondering how the hell to train the cries out of him. It's so annoying! I am going to be taking him out for training and having him sit an watch others for more patience.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
IMO...don't hunt this dog any more. You are making matters worse. You have a amp up dog and you need help from experience folks from your area to teach you how. Most first time trainers don't know how or what to do having a high octane dog. Please take heed. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yes he is done in the field for the year until this ceases. Can't have him doing this. It just happened this weekend and it was his first hunt. We are looking for experts everywhere. We took him to a training course up here before and our friend has trained dogs so we are collaborating on how to nip this issue. We are thinking the next thing is to get him fixed.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Oh yes he is done in the field for the year until this ceases. Can't have him doing this. It just happened this weekend and it was his first hunt. We are looking for experts everywhere. We took him to a training course up here before and our friend has trained dogs so we are collaborating on how to nip this issue. We are thinking the next thing is to get him fixed.
Very smart on your part. You will have this dog for a long time being your companion, blind manners need to be in check.
I wish you the very best. :)

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I'm a complete amateur. I don't write this post from any sort of Pro authority,
it's just my mere opinion from training I've gathered and seen.
I also like to write out my thoughts so they can be vetted here
by more knowledgeable trainers. It's the only way to learn over the internet.

I completely understand what what you mean Dustin. He started training at 10 weeks so I'm just wondering how the hell to train the cries out of him. It's so annoying! I am going to be taking him out for training and having him sit an watch others for more patience.
The YLM in my Avatar was the same way at that age. Their just fired up pups
but you MUST express your displeasure with their verbal whines.
Do not let it go without some form of correction.

The only thing I know to do is work on and demand perfect steadiness.
Sit means SIT, motionless and dead silent.
(Any) behavior outside of that perfect...quite...focused...sit
gets a strike with the heeling stick.(SIT)

That seem to snap my dog out of his banana craziness and quite him down some
without messing with his drive any b/c he still gets what he wants....but never before I do first.

Now back to the blind. That will take time. My dogs 2nd season he wasn't near as vocal.
Still whinned some, but was met with a NO, pop on the snout. I also made him as comfortable as possible.
I found out that he doesn't like sitting in water in the cold dog box. So I'd be sure to keep it bailed out
and put hay on the bottom. Now I could FORCE him to suck it up,
but sometimes you have to pick your battles.

I found that by making him comfortable, also got him more quite.
I'll make that sacrifice rather than here that shrill whine. I also had to pet him more
but hey, whatever kept him quite.

I also put him in the blind in the off season and with the help of friends
replicated a duck hunt. Everything was pretty much the same. Except it was all set up.

Hard to do I know, but worth it. You can simulate a single duck coming in over and over again
until you're training is done. Or multiples, etc.

3rd Season, dude hasn't made a peep. Even with Teal falling all over us and within arms reach even.
He's learned, through experience, just chill out, and you'll get to do what you want.
But never before I get what I want.
Heck he won't even let me touch him now b/c he wants to look around for birds.

Also, never let the dog break. I know that's a no brainer and all but when a Super Hyped dog like this breaks , it will fuel his unsteadiness even more. This will feed into their craziness. For the first two seasons I had a very short lead on him chained to the pit blind. This season, he does sit up very high when the shooting is going on, but he's steady. No craziness, no Whining. He's now 3 yrs old.

So there is hope.

I've seen several topics on here about loud whining dogs. Very few answers.
I hope this helps b/c I KNOW how aggravating it can be.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Where in Alaska do you live? If you're in the Fairbanks area and think it would help having another dog to train with let me know.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We're in Eagle River. We are friends with the people that had him so we are always either out with his dad or his mom, which around them he's patient and waits....

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I have sort of the same problem, except I don't hunt. My 10 month old pup is turbo-charged and was doing wonderfully well on her training program, until the day she began whining and almost breaking (leaning forward with her butt coming off the ground.) The vocalization is nothing less than a "verbal break." She is saying "I am so outta here.... In my mind I am all over that bird at this very moment."

Our plan is (1) NO MARKS for now. (2) Obedience. (3) Obedience and then (4) some more obedience. Meanwhile we're incrementally working on blinds and handling.

She has so much potential. Sure don't want to screw her up.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Get a good squirt bottle and start with 50/50 water and vinegar When whinning squirt in mouth/snout area and command quiet. Increase amount of vinegar until effective. I have also heard this would work with lemon juice or ammonia.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Get a good squirt bottle and start with 50/50 water and vinegar When whinning squirt in mouth/snout area and command quiet. Increase amount of vinegar until effective. I have also heard this would work with lemon juice or ammonia.

Please do not use Ammonia!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So far his training consists of false retrieves. I have him sit and wait patiently (quietly/calm) while I go and get the bumper and come back to him. Anytime he squeaks or whines I have been grabbing his snout and saying quiet. Yesterday he only squeezed out to small faint whines. I'm rewarding him being calm and quiet with a bunch of love and praise. He is learning slowly that if he sits quietly and calmly he can do what he loves to do.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
So far his training consists of false retrieves. I have him sit and wait patiently (quietly/calm) while I go and get the bumper and come back to him. Anytime he squeaks or whines I have been grabbing his snout and saying quiet. Yesterday he only squeezed out to small faint whines. I'm rewarding him being calm and quiet with a bunch of love and praise. He is learning slowly that if he sits quietly and calmly he can do what he loves to do.
Good deal...Keep it up, but don't give an inch. Kudos for you big time. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh I'm not giving in to him at all. In a matter of two days we've worked from crazy constant whine to maybe two peeps.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Sounds like you have it under control. Good deal. Enjoy your companion and keep the standards high. May you enjoy the hunt season now and in the future. Please take pictures on your journey. They stop time in its track so that we can reflect. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you! I will. As of right now he's done for the season, but there is still plenty of time left and he's so young. This work is definitely growing our bond as well and respect for each other, which I'm looking forward to seeing it continue to grow :)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Been in this same situation, and I empathize. I hear you, but I would reconsider "no marks" for a minute. If the dog is that bird crazy, the worst thing that can happen is being denied a mark. How else do you teach them to manage that situation other than requiring them to manage it or be denied the bird?

You know your dog, so certainly do what you think is appropriate. Dustin had some good stuff in his post, particularly about using the heeling stick instead of the collar to correct for bad line manners.

Good luck.

I have sort of the same problem, except I don't hunt. My 10 month old pup is turbo-charged and was doing wonderfully well on her training program, until the day she began whining and almost breaking (leaning forward with her butt coming off the ground.) The vocalization is nothing less than a "verbal break." She is saying "I am so outta here.... In my mind I am all over that bird at this very moment."

Our plan is (1) NO MARKS for now. (2) Obedience. (3) Obedience and then (4) some more obedience. Meanwhile we're incrementally working on blinds and handling.

She has so much potential. Sure don't want to screw her up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts