Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Two, one to shoot and one to throw.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like using two gunners for each dead bird mark and 2 gunners with a thrower for the live birds. One person could do a dead bird mark, but the theory of misery likes company holds true for the workers. To sit out throwing birds by yourself is only made worse by gunning stations without a view of the entire test.

Worse is to have to be in a wind deprived area planting blinds.

·
Registered
230 Posts
From a club standpoint, one would be better. From a gunner/thrower standpoint two would be better. It sure was a long day when a friend and I shot flyers at a 100+ dog open first series. We had to band bird, load in winger, and shoot. With only two people. Still had about 15 dogs to run the next morning! It sure would have been nice to have a third person to throw the bird for us.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
If you are using a winger and a popper gun holder I expect one can operate a dead bird station safely. If you are hand throwing the bird and need to handle a popper gun, two would be safer.

Now I expect all that have shot fliers alone, in the cold, in a t-shirt, for a 750 dog open and only used one round for every 6 birds will tell us of their exploit. But having a safety mindset is a bit different than can it be done with less.

Joe Miano

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Depends, on the size, age and ability of the launcher operators, number of shots desired( I like 2 for a difficult memory bird and for h/ts how often do you drop a bird with one round of steel?)). downside is that 2 youngsters tend to goof off alot more than just one, what one dosen't think up the other one does. Having thrown and shot fliers at f/ts and h/ts both by myself and with another gun, I definitely perfer a thrower and 2 shooters. I can do both very well, but not so well when trying to do both at the same time.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Depends upon the terrain and visibility of the guns from the line.

If one gun is conspicious (and is able to shoot and throw) then that is adequate for a mark.

What I don't like, and have seen it with one of our members as a Judge, is a single gunner (thrower) on the LONG, RETIRED gun with the Flyer station positioned between the long retired and the line. :evil: :evil: :evil:

When asked by the Marshall if it would be better to have TWO people on that retired station (and plenty of help was available), the response was "I don't want two kids talking in the blind on a retired gun."

Jerry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts