RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New owner here out of Las Vegas, and interested in learning more about the world of retriever training, kennel clubs, events and the like. I have owned dogs before, but never a hunting dog, and I mostly hunt for dove/quail here myself.

I'm picking up an 11 week Black American Lab Friday night and from what I understand she's comes from very good stock (plenty of FC's, NFC's, and hunting titles in the last five generations) if that means anything.
Breeder has been great, and got her some early exposure to birds and socialized with other dogs/cats/goats, etc. but the long and short of it is I am clueless how to proceed. What can I do to better educate myself and not waste her potential? I don't necessarily need a titled dog, and I certainly don't have the money it would take to get her professionally trained, but I thought that it might be a rewarding experience learning together.

If anyone has day zero advice, or resources you can point me to I would be grateful.

Thanks,
-J

·
Registered
925 Posts
Step 1.... join your local retriever club.
Step 2..... buy the printed material from Mike Lardy. YBS Media
Step 3.... most important, share with us some photos of your pup.

And welcome to the RTF!

Ken
What he said in steps 1 and 2 are very useful step 3 is oh well!
I'm guessing he's cute as hell got four legs and a tail and is black
Enjoy the journey

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Step 1.... join your local retriever club.
Step 2..... buy the printed material from Mike Lardy. YBS Media
Step 3.... most important, share with us some photos of your pup.

And welcome to the RTF!

Ken
Step 1 - on hold until I pick a name ( it was a required field )
Step 2 - book arrives in 7 days
Step 3 - will come Friday once I bring her home!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Las Vegas Hunting Retriever Club has a web site. I would strongly recommend you join the club as soon as you can. You do not need a dogs name to join. They have regular training days at Overton. I always recommend that people with pups go to a regular training session and park a little ways from the group. This is an excellent way to introduce a pup to gun fire. Once you know the dog is OK you can approach the group with your pup on lead. I have never been a member of the club, but have run in tests there & I'm certain you will find folks more than happy to help you get started on training'
Good luck with your new pup. Pete

·
Registered
236 Posts
She is really pretty! Lots of great info on here. You should probably try to hook up with a good trainer too. Just remember, Every time you interact with her, you are training! Congratulations and enjoy the ride. Oz

·
Registered
29 Posts
New owner here out of Las Vegas, and interested in learning more about the world of retriever training, kennel clubs, events and the like. I have owned dogs before, but never a hunting dog, and I mostly hunt for dove/quail here myself.

I'm picking up an 11 week Black American Lab Friday night and from what I understand she's comes from very good stock (plenty of FC's, NFC's, and hunting titles in the last five generations) if that means anything.
Breeder has been great, and got her some early exposure to birds and socialized with other dogs/cats/goats, etc. but the long and short of it is I am clueless how to proceed. What can I do to better educate myself and not waste her potential? I don't necessarily need a titled dog, and I certainly don't have the money it would take to get her professionally trained, but I thought that it might be a rewarding experience learning together.

If anyone has day zero advice, or resources you can point me to I would be grateful.

Thanks,
-J
Move to northern Nevada.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts