RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small problem with a new dog that I picked about a month ago. Said dog is a two year old Chessie who loves to retrieve but the problem is he violently shakes his head on the return with both bumpers and birds. I have not sent him yet ( and I my not) for his force fetch to a local pro. The question I have is this a Chesie thing or is it a retreiver thing. I have had 20+ labs over the years and none have ever exhibited this type of behavior. This Chessie is a great mild mannered animal and my role for him is a meat dog for the Niagara river especially in the second season. He learns his lessons real well and has taken corrections well, but his response to the collar when he does his head shaking is not positive. He doesn't act aggresive but he won't return like he normally does and it appears like he is playing a game of keep away. He does not do the head shaking thing on all retrieves only about one out of every 4 or 5 retreives. What I am looking for is confirmation that this is a chessie thing and I will just have to work through it. If it is not a chessie thing and is just a retriever thing again I can work through it. but if it is something else I want idea's on what I have and how to resolve it. Thanks
Glynn

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
First thing I would do is contact my vet, second I would contact the former owner and ask if this is an on going thing or something new. You mentioned you picked him up a month ago and he is 2. Not having all the facts it's hard for us to speculate on the problem.

A couple questions.
1) where did you get him from?
2) what was he doing before you got him?
3) was he FF'ed ?

My Hawk dog when he came home from FF would shake the stuffing out of bumper on returning but never birds. Knowing what I know I realize that his FF took quite alot of Force as he had a very high pain tolerance. When he left for FF he was not retrieving reliably, but never refused after.

Look for Peake to way in regards.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Glynn Matthews said:
I have a small problem with a new dog that I picked about a month ago. Said dog is a two year old Chessie who loves to retrieve but the problem is he violently shakes his head on the return with both bumpers and birds. I have not sent him yet ( and I my not) for his force fetch to a local pro. The question I have is this a Chesie thing or is it a retreiver thing. I have had 20+ labs over the years and none have ever exhibited this type of behavior. This Chessie is a great mild mannered animal and my role for him is a meat dog for the Niagara river especially in the second season. He learns his lessons real well and has taken corrections well, but his response to the collar when he does his head shaking is not positive. He doesn't act aggresive but he won't return like he normally does and it appears like he is playing a game of keep away. He does not do the head shaking thing on all retrieves only about one out of every 4 or 5 retreives. What I am looking for is confirmation that this is a chessie thing and I will just have to work through it. If it is not a chessie thing and is just a retriever thing again I can work through it. but if it is something else I want idea's on what I have and how to resolve it. Thanks
Glynn
Glynn,
If this dog irregardless of breed was already F-F'd of course the obvious correction would be to give an on the spot correction combined with a "No Hold" and push the bird/bumper far back into his mouth but as he is NOT F-F'd you do not have the foundation to even attempt to give any correction e-collar or other wise! I would stop all retrieves until after he is propperly F-F'd and this becomes a habit with a slippery slope toward a constant hard mouth habit!
Peake
PS Do you have a Pro lined up for this task with a 2yr old male CBR?

PSPS In my limted experience I would say because many CBR's have such a strong prey drive it is reflected sometimes in undesirable mouth issues...A Huge JMHO!
________
BEGGING FOR CUM

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Glynn Matthews said:
If it is not a chessie thing and is just a retriever thing again I can work through it. but if it is something else I want idea's on what I have and how to resolve it. Thanks
Glynn
It not just a Chessie thing. My BLM started that crap last year. Might've begun with his ear problems, but after we cleared his ears up, he would occasionally do this just as he was heeling with the bird/bumper. I didn't think much of it, then he became mouthy, then in the middle of this HT season his mouth manners went straight down the toilet.

Whether I did not do a complete enough FF job or if he just needed a refresher, we went back and FF'd with the collar (didn't use a collar the first time). Using a "seasoned" duck, I put it on the ground and FF'd. Made him hold it. Whenever he started getting mouthy, it was HOLD, HOLD with constant low-intensity nicks until he stopped. If his mouth or head so much as quivered, it was quick, constant nicks until he stopped. 100% improvement with my boy, but note as Peake noted, if you haven't FF'd like we had, then start at square 1 and do it right.

Mark

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
shaking

As someone who's trained a few retrievers, some of them Chesapeakes, I commend the foregoing advice. This is not likely to go away on its own (dogs can always surprise us of course). First, the vet. Make sure his ears, and everything else about his head, are OK. This dog would benefit from force fetching if he hasn't been already, followed by close-in, patient work on proper holding and carrying.

In separate sessions, train him thoroughly on coming when called. If he is wanting to parade or play keep-away this may fix most of the problem. I treat mouthing, shaking, etc. during a retrieve (usually) as a violation of "here"/"heel" rather than "hold." With a history of pressure on "here," usually a pretty minor nick along with a shouted "here!" (or "heel!" if he's close) will get a dog to come in with a proper hold.

HTH,

Amy Dahl

1 - 5 of 5 Posts