RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting my first OFA xrays done on my 20 month old male black lab next month. The vets office first told me that the dog had to be 24 months old before the certs were acceptable, but I told them that the breeder we bought from guaranteed only if certs were done by 22 months. Am I ok here? or am I going to end up having to do it a second time if we ever should decide to breed? (not really likely). The cost for hips and elbows is supposed to be about $450. Sound right?

Also, just when I'm looking for the info, the sticky about CNM is gone. Can someone tell me where to get the info for my vet as to where to send the blood work and the process? Sorry, I know this has all been posted here somewhere before, but cant find now! :oops:

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
No, you're not "OK" on the OFA thing. They have to be at least 24 months old.

Sounds like you got screwed on that deal if the dog turns out to have bad hips.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I would discuss this with the breeder. You cannot get certification of the hips done prior to 24 months. You can get a preliminary done, but not the actual certification. If the breeder insists to get it done at 22 months they they are either misinformed, or this is an attempt to get out of their contract. For example you get the hips done at 24 months to do it only once and get the certification, then it turns out to be dysplastic, but you have no recourse sine it was not done by 22 months. Crappy contract in my opinion.

Here is the website for the myopathy you can get the forms needed here.
http://www.labradorcnm.com/
The Retriever Field Trial News sells the test kits I believe.
Good luck,

G

·
ofa

We looked at buying a pup and the breeder only offered the guarantee until the dog was 9 months old when I explained to him that I couldn't get his OFA until 24 months he changed his contract. You need to be careful when buying not all contracts are the same and if its not in there it won't be honored
Cindy

·
Registered
404 Posts
What everyone else said regarding 24 months. The xray has to be done on a dog that is 24 months old (or older) on the day of the xray or they will only consider it a preliminary.

$450 is a little on the high side, but I've seen prices posted from around the country from anywhere from $200 to $400. I imagine there isn't an incredible amount of choices in Beaufort though.

If you really want to get a better price, and are willing to drive 250 miles each way....call Dr. Becky in Thomasville, GA. While I can't speak for the vet in Beaufort, I can say that Dr. Becky is very familar with doing OFA XRays on Field Bred Labs and is reasonable on her prices.

·
Administrator
3,871 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
ok-you are talking about several different things-
OFA hips and Elbows, as everyone has said=only acceptable at 24 months unless you are doing prelims, so you might as well wait until then.
450.00 seems a bit much for this area-I write a check to OFA for the elbows and hips to be looked at, and I HIGHLY recommend you spend the 5 or 10 dollars to get the xray back-I think that total was around 40-45.
My last dog cost around 125 to do-just the cost of films as we did not knock him out.
I sent them by UPS so I knew when they got there-maybe 15-20 dollars.
Since your vet was willing to do them early, I would take him somewhere else-I have heard good things about the Thomasville vet, I think there might be someone good in Savannah-Might as well spend the money to get someone who knows what they are doing the first time-and might not have to knock him out.

CERF exam-that is for eyes, and for goldens must be done by an opthomologist-a regular vet-unless it is Dr A, really does not know what to look for-at a clinic 25-35-you have a conformation show there in April, they might have a clinic there. For this the dog must be over a year old.

Goldens don't have to deal with CNM-but I coould tell you about hearts :roll:

·
Registered
8,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Boy do I feel like an idiot. I guess its one of those live and learn things. The only reason I was going to do it now was because of the "refund of purchase price" if xrays did not come out good. There was no pup replacement in the deal, and I wouldnt do it anyway, I love my dog and would keep him regardless. Now I may never get the certs done, unless there were ever an overwhelming reason to breed. Thanks folks, yu just saved me about $450. And I'm a wiser if more cynical potential pup buyer :roll:

·
Administrator
3,871 Posts
D Osborn said:
CERF exam-that is for eyes, and for goldens must be done by an opthomologist-a regular vet-unless it is Dr A, really does not know what to look for-at a clinic 25-35-you have a conformation show there in April, they might have a clinic there. For this the dog must be over a year old.
Only a Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists (A.C.V.O. ) can do CERF exams (not only for goldens, but any breed). This is not stated to take away any credit from Dr. Ed or other vets/opthamologists!

http://www.vmdb.org/history.html

Vicky

·
Administrator
3,871 Posts
2tall said:
Boy do I feel like an idiot. I guess its one of those live and learn things. The only reason I was going to do it now was because of the "refund of purchase price" if xrays did not come out good. There was no pup replacement in the deal, and I wouldnt do it anyway, I love my dog and would keep him regardless. Now I may never get the certs done, unless there were ever an overwhelming reason to breed. Thanks folks, yu just saved me about $450. And I'm a wiser if more cynical potential pup buyer :roll:
You can have xrays done at 22 months, submit them to OFA for a preliminary rating and meet the requirements of your contract. However, one thing you might want to keep in mind is that it sometimes takes 4-6 weeks for you to get the rating back from OFA. So, if your contract states a hip guarantee up to 22 months, I would suggest having the xrays done at 20 months of age so that you have plenty of time to get the rating back to submit to your breeder for any refund, if warranted.

There are other reasons than just breeding to check a working dog's hips. You would be able to find out if there are signs of CHD, early degenerative changes, etc.

I had a client that owned a beautiful yellow female Lab with no "pedigree" to speak of. She was extremely athletic. He did not have any health guarantees but still had CERF and OFA hip & elbow xrays done. It was a shock to see those hip xrays!!!! She had little to no hip sockets!!! Being well muscled was a saving grace for her.

Vicky

Vicky

·
Registered
69 Posts
OFA

Here in eastern TN, Cumberland Veterinary Clinic does OFA's for $125-150. That is out the door cost for hips and elbows. I can get phone number if anyone on here would like it. It may be worth the drive for some.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts