RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening everyone,

I am just curious about the process for getting OFA hip certifications for a dog.

My understanding is you can either take them to a certified vet, or have another vet take the x-rays and send them to an OFA board to have them reviewed. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Any vet can do OFA films, they all get submitted to OFA for rating, which takes about a month to get usually. But, you want to make sure the vet is experienced at doing them so you get the proper positioning and good films. Do elbows at the same time.http://www.offa.org/hd_procedures.html

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kim.

·
Registered
231 Posts
My vet took care of all of the ofa submissions. The ofa costs were included with the price of having the hips & elbows x-rayed. Pretty simple process.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just had the X-rays done over a week ago, very simple and they send the film to OFA and they are looked at by 3 radiologist. he did check the film before moving the dog to make sure the image was good, he did have to take a second on the hips because the first one was too light on power (he said he has big bones). maybe 1/2 hour, took longer to drive there.

G

·
Mark,

I have someone good to recommend to you. Call me when you get a chance.

And BTW, Looky is just about ready to get back out training. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts