RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
EG Posted the picture, with a short wright up , about who the guy was standing in front of it. Said it was Carrs old truck and his being in the back ground. He also talked about a lone tree that was the only living tree on the property.

Pretty cool old pic. These things are great to see..

·
Registered
841 Posts
Here is the full picture that Evan Graham posted.
he said the following…

For me this is a historic picture. Curtis Jackson was an assistant trainer for Rex Carr for at least 20 years. Next to him is Rex’s dog truck. I’ve never seen another picture of it. Behind Curtis is my old dog truck. In the background is “the tree”: the only living tree at CL2. There are many stories about the tree and the picnic table under it. Memories…

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
Cool photo. They just don't make hats like they used to. lol. I think I spy... Ed Aycock, Judy Aycock, John and Martha Russell perhaps?, and a young Pat Burns up front
Pretty good, those were the first National caps, I ordered and paid for my committee, several non committee members got them including the judges who lobbied for them
first row L-R John DeSimone Pat Burns
middle row L-R Betty Schrader Judy Aycock Martha Russell
back row L-R Larry Rybarski Committee Chairman me James Trahan Jerry Henry
we were all relatively young, mostly late 30s maybe a forty or two except Burnsy who was 22

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just out off curiosity - does anyone know when he started using that truck or how old the truck is? I know Rex passed away in 2002 at 86. When did he quit full-time training? I've been told that someone is still using it.

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
He got the truck from the local Coca Cola bottling facility, it was a delivery truck converted to carry dogs. It was only a few miles from CL-1, the kennel, to CL-2 the training grounds and Woodward Reservoir where he often went in winter to do big water blinds. The truck was part of the operation beginning in the 1960s I believe and was still functional in the mid 1980s which was the last time I was there.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He got the truck from the local Coca Cola bottling facility, it was a delivery truck converted to carry dogs. It was only a few miles from CL-1, the kennel, to CL-2 the training grounds and Woodward Reservoir where he often went in winter to do big water blinds. The truck was part of the operation beginning in the 1960s I believe and was still functional in the mid 1980s which was the last time I was there.
Thanks, Dr. Ed. You certainly are a wealth of knowledge on many topics. I always enjoy your comments.

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
I thought that was fairly obvious after all the references I made to Carr Lab Kennel, Escalon, and CL-2, yes it was Rex’s kennel truck a converted Coca Cola delivery truck painted a godawful green color

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
Amazing, only one tree!
Is that what the early RTF phrase "don't park under the dripline" came from?
Nope that was from a well known Texas landowner who has beautiful big post oak trees on his property, the post oak is known for despising human activity, you can park under one a few times or leave a piece of equipment under one and it will eventually die. People don’t often know that until it’s too late. CL-2 probably has lots of trees now I heard Sargenti was going to grow almonds so it may be an almond orchard now.

• Wow
Reactions: Kenneth Niles Bora

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Amazing, only one tree!
Ken, I know what you're thinking, "if I needed only one spile and one bucket, what would life be like?"

I enjoyed the truck picture. It is almost exactly what my mind's eye concocted from the descriptions of two friends. Maybe some of their other stories are reliable too!;)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts