RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How far of retrieves do you throw for an 11 week old pup? I dont throw the bumpers the same distance everytime, some will be shorter and some will be longer..Im just curious what everyone expects out of an 11 week old pup. He does very well with all of the marks I have thrown and he is retrieving very well out of the water..He already knows what I am talking about when I tell him mark.. :D I didn't realize they picked that up that quickly...Ill have to take some pics of this little guys water entries! Its pretty cool seeing a pup at that age having those kind of water entries! :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I say it's more important that the retrieves are fun and easy and that you are encouraging good habits using positive techniques. The number and distance would be puppy specific but I usually do a few (3-4) throws and quit while pup still wants more.

Good Luck!
TS

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
11 weeks is an infant.....

definitely stop before the dog gets tired/bored, and keep it short (<50 FEET). i would not expose a baby to deep mud or steep entries.

i know how fun an enthusiastic pup can be, but in the long term, you'll be happier if you go slow. plenty of time to lengthen him out later. :wink: good luck! -paul

·
Registered
102 Posts
Great advice. I have a 14 week old that I always put away wanting one more ... tempting for me to throw another but I try and think long term.

Also - make sure that you start to introduce short bird boy marks. It sounded as if you were hand tossing? Pup may react differerent when there is a second person involved.

have fun!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dan&Guinness said:
Also - make sure that you start to introduce short bird boy marks. It sounded as if you were hand tossing? Pup may react differerent when there is a second person involved.
I introduced that at about 9 weeks old...he seemed like he was ready.. and he does very well!

I dont have him going through deep mud or steep entries, the ponds we use have a gradual slope down perfect for him to run in :) I only throw 2-4 retrieves a day, and he is always wanting more!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts