RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took three dogs to the water for a blind using a live shackled duck. One dog is FC with multiple National qualifications and a Nat'l Finalist. Other two have multiple Master passes.

This was basically a Senior water blind, short, straightforward, no difficult factors. Just jump in the water, swim 50-55 yards and bring the duck back. Thought I was just tuning up for an upcoming Hunt Test.

All three flatly REFUSED to get anywhere near the duck, regardless of the correction. I ended up having to wade out and pick the duck up myself!!!

I've never had a refusal from any of them and don't know exactly what I'm dealing with. Took one back today, ran the same blind with considerably more length, used a bumper and "two whistled" it.

What's going on here???

Jerry

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Have your dogs been through a proper force fetch program???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Angie

G

·
do you use shackled ducks normally?
one of my dogs has a hard time with cripples even in a trial. i train in an area where there are lots of wild ducks and geese. he looks for the dead ones and ignores the live ones.

G

·
i think the higher up the ladder a dog is in accomplishments, ie FC, AFC, MH, the more schooled he/she is to what to get and when to get it.
if you dont use shackled ducks in training to retrieve, they may look at it as a leave it bird.
a younger, less experienced dog is more likely to forget the schooling when in the midst of a warm quacking duck, even if they dont normally get them in training.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Do they have any SRS dogs in their pedigree? :wink:

DFT regards,

john

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Have they been properly seated on a duck? (sorry)

Have they retrieved a live shackled duck on land without a problem?

·
Registered
130 Posts
i had a derby dog a few years ago that wouldn't pick up a cripled flier at a trial. her trainer the following week let her play with a couple of shackled ducks and all was fine after that. no pressure or force was used.
________
VAPORMATIC VAPORIZER

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
pistol said:
i had a derby dog a few years ago that wouldn't pick up a cripled flier at a trial. her trainer the following week let her play with a couple of shackled ducks and all was fine after that. no pressure or force was used.
One better as described to me by a well known springer guy.... Throw a duck in with "Mr/Ms lab weenie" in their kennel. No meal until said duck is history. Works like a million bucks.

Angie

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Think I figured out the problem. For the past year I've been getting on the dogs harshly for messing with the chickens, rabbits, ducks.

In my little brain, they were thinking I was "setting them up" for another correction. Worked each one through it yesterday and this AM.

All is Well.

B-CS here we come!!!

Jerry

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bobbyb said:
Pete is way too old to be chasing rabbits :shock:
They were in a cage when he was getting reprimanded Bobby.

He's like me. We just chase slowly.

And the chickens go into the runs and have dinner with the dogs, roost on top.

Jerry

·
Registered
7 Posts
Jerry said:
Think I figured out the problem. For the past year I've been getting on the dogs harshly for messing with the chickens, rabbits, ducks.

In my little brain, they were thinking I was "setting them up" for another correction. Worked each one through it yesterday and this AM.

All is Well.

B-CS here we come!!!

Jerry
Jerry if you are talking about the B-CS AKC Test this weekend in Iola make sure that you are there Saturday afternoon for the tailgate party. Steve Cunningham has put together some great raffle items. You will want to buy two wing spans when you see how loaded those raffle tables are.

Look me up, I will be the one walking around with that "deer in the headlight look" as this is my first time to chair a test. Man it has been a wild ride and it seem to be getting bumper each day.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in Iola this weekend.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gene, what the heck do they do with all that sawdust???

I'm told the owner has a cabinet shop.

Must be a big one.

Jerry

·
Registered
7 Posts
Jerry said:
Gene, what the heck do they do with all that sawdust???

I'm told the owner has a cabinet shop.

Must be a big one.

Jerry
Yes, he owned a large commerical cabinet company in Bryan. He has the sawdust delivered in 18 wheelers and uses it as compost.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts